Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:42 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,878,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
UH is light years ahead of U Phoenix in terms of credibility in anything. UH and Tech are both compteting for Tier 1 funding to become the next Texas state flagship university after UT and A&M.

Also UH has a highly recognized part-time MBA program:

C.T. Bauer College of Business - University of Houston

And yes I have heard that Letourneau has a great academic reputation. It's just relatively expensive because it's a private school.
We have been hearing this for years now and nothing has really happened
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 05:40 PM

22 posts, read 67,460 times
Default Yes LeTourneau University is a quality school

Hi, I see I am years behind in responding to the post but hope this post will help. I graduated from LeTourneau and University of Phoenix. I also was accepted and attended these schools prior to attending both: The University of Texas at Arlington, Midwestern State University (Wichita Falls Texas), the University of Texas at Austin, the University of Missouri at St. Louis, and I graduated from McKendree College (now McKendree University in Lebanon Illinois near St. Louis.) I consider myself an educated person and was educated before I attended the University of Phoenix. I am saddened to learn that people from Texas do not recongnize any other school except the University of Texas or Texas A&M brand of education.

The following is my experience with the University of Texas, I returned to the University of Texas as a seasoned adult and found to my dismay that the student next to me in a chemistry class, pulled his hat down over his eyes and went to sleep. After the class he informed another student how he slept through the class and knew all the answers. A lot of fraternaties and sororities run the University of Texas campus. From what I could see, they knew the answers to the tests before the tests were written or rather what to expect.

That experience came after the instructor told the class how he would not answer any questions during the class --- or after the class --- because he had teacher assistants to do that --- but only if they had time. I never had that experience at LeTourneau or the University of Phoenix.

Online education is now in the experimental stages at all levels of universities including the big-named schools of Texas. The University of Texas has established a distance learning program for over 30 years where the student never communicated with the teacher.

At this point I want to state that the bottom line is that if a person has to degrade the education of another person, it seems to me that fear is the motivator. It is not wise to let fear dictate an important life changing decision.

Here are some more facts from one person's experience:

The University of Phoenix has recently offered networking opportunities-- but I can get that type of networking at a local fast food place. I do not know if LeTourneau offers networking opportunities. LeTourneau never contacts me even though my address has not changed and the University of Phoenix sends a email on rare occassions.

As a first grader, I walked over a mile to school through one of the worst neighborhoods in Texas where I was taught and earned a great education that has lasted a lifetime. It's not where you went to school but what you do with what you have. I was qualified and was accepted into a big name school. My experience says: watch your wallet and network, network, network. Sometimes the school name is the connection but I have only seen that happen at Texas A&M. Texas A&M network like one big fraternity or sorority. University of Phoenix graduates do not network as a rule. They can and they do -- but not often. The University of Texas graduates compete with each other based on the sorority or fraternity connections.

Some people are strong narcissists and only care about their image no matter how good a school may be. If so, go to a big name school with other narcissists. When they have no more money or fail to make the grades, they will cry on your shoulder. While they cry, give them my advice as if its your own

Old 07-24-2014, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,279 times
Default LeTourneau University

They are a very good school. I graduated in 2002 and feel like it was anything but easy. I am very satisfied with the education that I received. It is expensive though! Having it geared towards working adults schedules, in Houston at least, probably adds to the cost.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:23 PM

22 posts, read 67,460 times
Smile UH vs UT as a flagship school

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
We have been hearing this for years now and nothing has really happened
It has been years since this thread began - so this is for the individual who has stumbled across this thread and found it a useful discussion.

I have never ever met one common person outside of Houston who has heard of U of H but many common people have heard of "UT" because of its football team. It is silly to elevate a school because of its football team.

Very few university degrees are worth outrageous student loans. Look at the long term consequences of student loans and pick the best university for you. Thinking of choosing a school because you think the status of the school will increase? Instead, choose a university because it is best for you and your situation.

U of H (University of Houston) was a school I never heard of until recent years and I have travelled a lot. Its a great school and coming up in the world - that's true. If it is the best school for you and your situation, then go there. Do what is best for you and your situation but not because it might possibly gain status.

Last edited by gjt3rd; 05-25-2015 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: mispelled word

Old 05-27-2015, 10:26 AM

142 posts, read 398,873 times
I have no experience with their Houston campus, but my grandfather was a professor in the Engineering Department for their main campus in Longview for over 4 decades, and is also a distinguished alumnus. I grew up hearing about the school, and strongly considered going there for my undergrad (chose A&M). I would not hesitate to send my son there if he wanted to go there someday. It has a great reputation for providing quality education to its students. Comparing it to University of Phoenix is a joke.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:49 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,731,765 times
Private for profit schools like the University of Phoenix are the worst of the worst. Letourneau is close to that bad. It is a private "non-denominational" Christian school which means they are ultra-conservative. They recently got some press for banning gay athletes from openly acknowledging their preferences. It is not going to be taken as seriously even as HBU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston