Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 07:04 PM

7 posts, read 20,460 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Al for the past 12 yrs & am in desperate need of a change. My father lives in San Antonio, but I have no intentions on going back there (live there for 8 yrs, Germany 8yrs, England 3yrs, MO 1.5 yrs). I have family & friends in Dallas and my mother thinks Austin would be a better fit for me. I have a BS in Psychology, but currently back in school to be a Physical Therapist Assitant, June of 08 so my U-HAUL will be packed & ready to start heading to TX right after graduation.

Because the offers in Houston for PTAs is soooooooo good I am warming up to the idea of giving Houston a try. I am single, 34, & african america. One thing I miss is culture & multi ethnicities. SO...HELP!
Here is what I'm looking for:
a diverse area
plenty of things to do (besides drinking & partying) for singles
has a family feel as well.
nice, SAFE, affordable place to live for a single woman (with a dog) either in the middle or close to great attractions.
I love the outdoors (walking, running, swimming & working out)
I love jazz, art, sports, personal training, eating (I miss Texmex)
I will more than likely have a starting sal of $17/hr. It's not much to start, but it will increase. I am looking to rent for the 1st yr.
I have seen a lot of thread with areas, but if someone could give me some zip codes that would help a lot. Also, if you know someone in the medical field, especially PT/PTA field plz point me in that direction.
I posted another thread but didn't get any responses...hope I get some responses to this one. I know this is a year away, but there are a lot of things to get in order when I start negotiations with the offers that start coming in around Oct. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 07:20 PM

5,452 posts, read 7,746,787 times
For medical-related careers you'll probably have better luck in Houston or Dallas. Both cities are much larger medical centers than Austin. For that matter, San Antonio is a bigger medical center than Austin.

Furthermore, Dell Computer headquartered in Round Rock (northern suburb of Austin) looks to lay off thousands in the very near future which will seriously affect the Austin economy. Dell is the biggest economic engine in the Austin area.

My wife and I currently live in the Waco area which is about dead center between DFW, Austin, San Antonio and Houston and we've been looking to relocate to one of those larger cities. To that end we freqently take weekend trips to all 4 cities to explore and at this point are leaning towards Houston. It has lots of interesting neighborhoods scattered throughout the city and we like the much greener and more lush tropical environment of Houston compared to the dry windy plains that are north Texas.

In any event, all the cities you mention are growing explosively and traffic is a major headache in all of them so my advice is to live near where you work so you can spend your free time actually having fun rather than fuming in traffic.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:38 AM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,866 times
If I was in your position I would emphatically choose Houston. It has the lowest cost of living, the most ethnically diverse and an overall good place for minorities. Texans have a very strong reputation of being hospitable and caring! Most people see Texas as a heavy bible belt/conservative state but the cultural tone appears to be "live and let live." Since your expertise is in the medical field you should have NO PROBLEM finding work in Houston. Austin is a beautiful city as well, more to do outdoors/nature walks etc.. BUT the cost of living has gone up considerably and the "mixed culture" laid back atmosphere is more in Houston.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:06 AM

7 posts, read 20,460 times
Thanks. Since I would prefer to live close to where I work or at least in an area that has easy access quickly getting to work what area should I concentrate on? Most of the offers that I have seen say Houston & the zip code. I am not use to long commutes (which I know I will have to get use to). I am more concerned w/ safety & meeting people.
I guess a good question to ask would be, approx. how long does it take to get from one end of Houston to the other? Or which areas could I get by on $30-35k/ yr based on Apt living?

Old 06-04-2007, 11:44 AM

5,452 posts, read 7,746,787 times
For childless apartment living you are probably best off looking for jobs that are more centrally located within Houston. I'd say find the job first then look for a place to live nearby.

Most of the medical complexes and hospitals located in the more far-flung suburban areas are surrounded by single family homes with few apartments and neighborhoods that are mostly families

Old 06-04-2007, 03:37 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,866 times
You'll probably fare well in the downtown Montrose district and for 30K you should be fine in Houston. In select other states that salary would thrust you in to poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston