Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 AM

47 posts, read 262,814 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I keep getting this comment while trying to sell a home in WLN. We are just minutes away from the Westpark, and everything such as stores, recreational activites, and entertainment is right there in Katy. Cross Creek is further west, but I don't here that complaint. I come from New Orleans where it took me 5 minutes to get anywhere. But, I realize in a huge city area like Houston that it takes some time to get places. I feel the area I live in has alot of convience, and I love living and working in WLN. So, I don't understand why people keep saying this. Am I wrong? Is it to far? I welcome your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 10:19 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,454,480 times
Depends on where you're coming from.
I too live in WLN, but I work downtown.
It can feel very far at times (about 35 miles each way to and from downtown), especially for those who are not used to coming out this way.
I am starting to get a little more used to living out here though.
I have not seen Cross Creek Ranch, but I could not imagine living any further out than I already am.
But then again, what's another 3 or so miles when you're already 35 miles from work?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,853,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschneller View Post
Sorry, I keep getting this comment while trying to sell a home in WLN. We are just minutes away from the Westpark, and everything such as stores, recreational activites, and entertainment is right there in Katy. Cross Creek is further west, but I don't here that complaint.
Good point there. Cross Creek seems to get pumped up a lot on here too... it's in FULSHEAR, like 35 miles from downtown, is that a suburb of Houston now?!

So maybe they mean far out from central Houston?

People here were complaining Aliana is too far out too... compared to Cross Creek or even Cinco, that makes me laugh. Aliana isn't that far outside of Hwy 6!

I would think if people like Cinco or Cross Creek, they'd like WLN too... but I could be wrong, I don't live in Katy after all.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:36 AM

75 posts, read 225,940 times
To me, if I worked inside the loop or downtown, it's too far out. Even with all the shops and restaurants out there and West Park tollway. If I had a job closer to the area, it'll be different.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 AM

454 posts, read 1,586,921 times
I think WLN is pretty far. Those extra 5 miles past Grand Parkway definitely feel far...but I don't mind it much. If someone states that WLN is too far, then all of SW Cinco is too far as well, and Cross Creek Ranch is simply way too far. Pine Mill is also far, and based on it being situated so far off a main highway, it takes even longer to get to where you are going. If they expand the Westpark Tollway to go towards 1463 or Cross Creek Ranch like I have heard rumors of then it will not feel bad at all. It's those last 5 miles after 99 that really add up for me.

Also, since there are no shopping, gas stations, restaurants, etc...anywhere past 99, you have to do that drive a lot. I am used to being within 2-3 minutes of everything and living anywhere in SW Katy simply does not allow you to be that close to much. Even if you live near 99, there simply isn't much commercial development in this area. It is just one huge suburban residential community with a few stores right off of 99. Being 10 min from everything feels like a ton compared to my former 2-3 minutes from everything. Mall, Gas Station, Movie Theater, Grocery Store, Video Store, etc....everything is a good 10min away from SW Katy.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:20 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,454,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane_change View Post
I think WLN is pretty far. Those extra 5 miles past Grand Parkway definitely feel far...but I don't mind it much. If someone states that WLN is too far, then all of SW Cinco is too far as well, and Cross Creek Ranch is simply way too far. Pine Mill is also far, and based on it being situated so far off a main highway, it takes even longer to get to where you are going. If they expand the Westpark Tollway to go towards 1463 or Cross Creek Ranch like I have heard rumors of then it will not feel bad at all. It's those last 5 miles after 99 that really add up for me.

Also, since there are no shopping, gas stations, restaurants, etc...anywhere past 99, you have to do that drive a lot. I am used to being within 2-3 minutes of everything and living anywhere in SW Katy simply does not allow you to be that close to much. Even if you live near 99, there simply isn't much commercial development in this area. It is just one huge suburban residential community with a few stores right off of 99. Being 10 min from everything feels like a ton compared to my former 2-3 minutes from everything. Mall, Gas Station, Movie Theater, Grocery Store, Video Store, etc....everything is a good 10min away from SW Katy.
Yep, I know exactly what you mean by those extra miles on 1093.
I get home by exiting at 1463 off I-10 so it doesn't feel quite as bad and I also get to avoid the logjam at 99.
We usually also get onto I-10 via 1463.
Everyone that has come to visit us complains about how far we live out.
That is until we tell them how much we paid for our home in such a nice area.
That's when their jaws drop and say that it is worth it.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:34 PM

967 posts, read 2,612,522 times
Sorry, but it is far out...

I live in Cinco SW... just at Spring Green and Fry. When we moved here in 07 I would tell folks to take Fry Rd until they couldn't take it any further (now it stretches out another mile!) But even then, I seemed far out.

HEB at 99 seems far away when I am short 1 egg or a cup of milk. Maybe that's why my neighbor and I are so "neighborly"

And sad to say, everyone wants grocieries and restaurants and gas stations closer to their neighborhood, but NO ONE wants to be *that house* behind the Chinese Restaurant, next to the gas station, etc... We only want to live near houses... certainly don't want the PUBLIC driving by our house!!! (the crime! the traffic! the noise!)

As you know WLN and Cross Creek Ranch are even further out than I am.

For errands... I consolidate, and get as much done while I'm out. I have a couple of friends who have moved out to Cross Creek Ranch and complain how far the grocery store, pediatrician, and dance class are. Really? You didn't notice that when you moved out here??

Prospective buyers... I don't fault them one bit for being concerned. I live a good mile or two "in" from WLN and it feels far out for even me. You just have to be willing to deal with it if you're going to live out here...

Last edited by descovy; 03-03-2010 at 03:56 PM..

Old 03-04-2010, 07:34 AM

58 posts, read 186,834 times
It's a trade-off you make. Like RVD said, you tell them how much, or I like to say
how much I DID NOT spend on our new home here. That should shut them up. And
the great schools are just icing on the cake. And the park, two pools, etc. But we
are far if you work in downtown. Plus more retail will come as the area matures, and
the economy improves.

Last edited by Fly dude; 03-04-2010 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: word useage

Old 03-05-2010, 02:55 PM

47 posts, read 262,814 times
Thanks for the comments, if you look at the Katy Chamber of Commerce, they have a road, and intended road project map, and they got the Westpark going just pass Cross Creek Ranch, and then North to the I-10, I guess they are waiting for that home thats all by himself to sell or move. Yea, I 'm looking forward to a little more retail around here, like when La Finca opens in front of the neighborhood, they do great Happy Hours, and the food is good to.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:16 PM

162 posts, read 554,738 times
Depends on what you are looking for i guess. For me, yeah thats way too far out. Especially since, ive been out there, and there is hardly a gas station or grocery store past 99, so you cant just run to the corner store quickly, which is a big draw for me. i guess if you want an out of the way quiet place though, it might be for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston