Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:06 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,035,131 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm a 21 yr old black student from Oklahoma & I'm relocating to Houston this summer to begin teaching once I graduate from university. Dallas was my 2nd choice. I'm so excited about moving to Houston.

I would like to see if anyone could help me find a church that is pretty diverse. I was raised Baptist but I've noticed that a lot of Baptist churches are either predominantly white or black. I prefer churches with people of a variety of backgrounds & am willing to attend a nondenominational church or a different denomination other than Baptist.

I am moving to the southwest side of town (Alief/Stafford/Missouri City) but I'm willing to drive if it's a good church. Oh yes & if you could recommend one with a good sized singles ministry, that would be great!

Thanks for all of your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 08:23 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,069,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Hi everyone, I'm a 21 yr old black student from Oklahoma & I'm relocating to Houston this summer to begin teaching once I graduate from university. Dallas was my 2nd choice. I'm so excited about moving to Houston.

I would like to see if anyone could help me find a church that is pretty diverse. I was raised Baptist but I've noticed that a lot of Baptist churches are either predominantly white or black. I prefer churches with people of a variety of backgrounds & am willing to attend a nondenominational church or a different denomination other than Baptist.

I am moving to the southwest side of town (Alief/Stafford/Missouri City) but I'm willing to drive if it's a good church. Oh yes & if you could recommend one with a good sized singles ministry, that would be great!

Thanks for all of your help.
Lakewood (Joel Osteen) is huge - and people either seem to "like it a bunch" or "not so much" but they do very well in the diversity department!

It was hard to tell about singles ministry from the web site.

A good diverse church that is not so "mega" would be Westbury United Methodist.

I can tell you have a major positive attitude about this move - big blessings as you head to H-town!!

Old 02-24-2010, 09:27 PM

345 posts, read 1,079,167 times
Hello there. I posted something very similar when I first moved here. Unfortunately, I found that its usually one or the other. My church at home was very diverse and I loved it! My sister is a prayer partner at Lakewood Church. She loves it. Says the Saturday services are not so packed. You can listen to Joel speak on TV, radio or his website to try him out if you like. I enjoy his teaching, but wanted a smaller church for my boys to really feel a part of. Maybe I should try out Westbury United Methodist. Best wishes!

Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,035,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmalone4 View Post
Hello there. I posted something very similar when I first moved here. Unfortunately, I found that its usually one or the other. My church at home was very diverse and I loved it! My sister is a prayer partner at Lakewood Church. She loves it. Says the Saturday services are not so packed. You can listen to Joel speak on TV, radio or his website to try him out if you like. I enjoy his teaching, but wanted a smaller church for my boys to really feel a part of. Maybe I should try out Westbury United Methodist. Best wishes!
Is it really? That's unfortunate. But I think that's how it is with a lot of Protestant churches, I have a friend whose Catholic & she said Catholic churches are always pretty diverse (she lives in Dallas)...I guess the only way to have diversity in church is if it's a mega-church?

Old 02-24-2010, 11:18 PM

75 posts, read 225,956 times
Not sure if you're interested in Catholic church, but Saint Francis de Sales is VERY diverse AND multi-cultural.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:04 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,723,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Is it really? That's unfortunate. But I think that's how it is with a lot of Protestant churches, I have a friend whose Catholic & she said Catholic churches are always pretty diverse (she lives in Dallas)...I guess the only way to have diversity in church is if it's a mega-church?

No, see St. Thomas Aquinas. West Bellfort near Dairy Ashford. Fairly large church but not 'mega' by any stretch.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:50 PM

345 posts, read 1,079,167 times
Sad, but true Ms. Opera. I ended up going to a that is all black. My four year old even commented on it. I'm in spring, though (Lexington Woods). Perhaps things will be better in the City.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:07 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,069,796 times
Spring Woods United Methodist would be another option for a more diverse Protestant community in the northern part of Harris County - it is on FM 1960 between I-45 and 249.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:03 PM

156 posts, read 511,857 times
City Of Refuge Church is very diverse and more centrally located.

Home | City of Refuge

One of the elders there used to Pastor the church we attended for 10 yrs before we moved to the Carolinas.

Last edited by sophie5; 02-26-2010 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 02-26-2010, 03:28 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,952,480 times
There are many LARGE Baptist churches in the city, South Main, First, Second are examples and should have a decent singles group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston