Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 10,572 times

Advertisements

I am a 27yr old professional single male moving to the Houston area soon for a new job, I will be working in the Sugarland area and was wondering about the surrounding neighborhoods and which ones are better than others. I am very active and love the outdoors (fishing, boating, hiking) so an area where that would be an option would be great, a good social scene would be nice too. Anything about the area you think I need to know would be great as well, I am coming from a beach town in NC and would like to know what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 12:57 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,323 times
I'm from Sugar Land and I'm only there from time to time to visit my folks. Overall, Sugar Land (IMHO) is a family community. There is one club/sports bar there at Town Center called Loggia, which is my favorite place to hang and is arguably the premier night-spot in Sugar Land. http://www.loggiasugarland.com/

Other places of interest--
Baker's Street -- also in Town Center
Pennison's Pub -- off of Hwy 6 & Settlers Way
Luke's Billiards -- off of Hwy 6

That's about it. I'm sure there are others, but those are the main night-spots that I know of. For real night-life, you go to Houston.

Sugar Land to me isn't really much of a yuppie area. Sure there are young people that live there, but the primary reason that (again IMHO) a lot of people move there is the good, academically competitive schools and strong education/work ethic that a lot of the Asians have over there.

Being 25 myself, the night-life thing is an issue I'm always looking into too.

Sugar Land native, Clements '02

Last edited by Alphalogica; 01-24-2010 at 01:13 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 01:07 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Freshwater fishing will be on the Brazos River, which cuts through town. You can follow it to the mouth, in the Gulf of Mexico (Freeport area) for saltwater.

North Carolina fishing is probably similar-- catfish, bass, sunfish, etc in freshwater... speckled trout, redfish, flounder, etc in saltwater.

Not sure about boating but I'm sure it's there.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:11 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,323 times
I also forgot to mention Brazos Bend State Park is fairly close by and has a lot to offer to those who love the outdoors.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:07 PM

Sounds good so far, any suggestions on areas to live that arent to far away from sugarland (within 30 min). Yeah I am not much for freshwater fishing but the saltwater is where I grew up, how far away is the gulf btw?

Old 01-24-2010, 02:09 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
About 60 miles to Freeport or Galveston.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:35 PM

144 posts, read 594,804 times
Are you looking to rent an apartment, or buy a house? Also price range.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,996,885 times
i think you'll be disappointed. youre going to need a new hobby

Old 01-25-2010, 09:54 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brjjohns View Post
I am a 27yr old professional single male moving to the Houston area soon for a new job, I will be working in the Sugarland area and was wondering about the surrounding neighborhoods and which ones are better than others. I am very active and love the outdoors (fishing, boating, hiking) so an area where that would be an option would be great, a good social scene would be nice too. Anything about the area you think I need to know would be great as well, I am coming from a beach town in NC and would like to know what to expect.
Sugar Land has a few great bars in the Town Center, but I would imagine you would grow tired of going to same the places. If you wouldn't mind a reverse commute (15-20 miles one way) then I would suggest looking into the greenway plaza area or the galleria area. If you don't live in Sugar Land it would be important to have good access to Highway 59, which would be your life line. I can get more specific if you have more questions.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:24 PM

I would be looking to rent for the first year or so and then buy once I got a good feel for where I actually wanted to settle down. A 15-20 miles commute is no big deal at all, I hear the traffic in Houston is pretty ridiculous so I would like easy access to the interstate to make my life as easy as possible, I dont really have a preference on area other than I would like to be around people my own age (young families, professionals) and prefer to be farther away from downtown houston than closer. I havent had a chance to do any research into the realestate market, what is the average home going for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston