Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 26,352 times

Advertisements

Ok here's my problem (I apologize in advance for being so 'long-winded')....

I moved from St. Louis to Houston in February of 2009.

I have NOT gotten my TX drivers license NOR have I registered my vehicle in TX for 2 reasons (#1 I am a chronic procrastinator and have heard horror stories about DPS and #2 my vehicle will not pass inspection in TX due to my check engine light, I found out I need 3 O2 sensors so I will need add'l time to save money (over 1K) to get my car fixed before I can register the vehicle in TX)

I got a ticket last Friday (1/15/10) for driving without headlights (it was raining, I pulled off the gas station lot and did not turn on my lights right away, my interiors were on and I had no idea my lights weren't on, go figure!) so the NICE police officer gave me ONLY 2 tickets for #1 Driving without lights and #2 Failing to report my change of address on drivers license===both tickets amounting to close to $400!!!! The cop told me if I take my new TX DL to court (court date is 2/12/10), I will get the 2nd ticket dismissed. The cop was NICE enough NOT to ticket me for failing to register my vehicle and no TX inspection (THANK GOD!!! ) I told him I just moved to TX last month, but he didn't believe me! lol

HERE IS MY QUESTION:

When I go to get my TX drivers license, I plan to tell them that I do NOT own a vehicle yet , HOWEVER-----Will they "run a check" to see if I've received traffic tickets? If they do, they will see that I was ticketed driving a vehicle registered to me---will I get in trouble?

WHAT SHOULD I DO? PLEASE HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,230,073 times
Tell the truth and show proof of insurance among other things. They will not let you take the driving test (if you need one) in a vehicle that is not registered or inspected. Get the car fixed.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:36 PM

912 posts, read 2,559,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsmeow View Post

Get legal or get off the road.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 26,352 times
I have a MISSOURI drivers license and registration. You idiots act as if I've been driving without a license. Thanks for NOT answering my question. If you're going to post, answer the question or say you don't know. I did not ask your OPINION!!!

Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,230,073 times
I responded to your question. You aked what you should do. The answer is tell the truth and deal with what happens. It is possible that they will run your license to see if you have any tickets and if you lie, the consequences may be worse. You have already learned the hard way (I hope) that not doing things properly will cost you more. Try not to compound that.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:48 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,539,304 times
I hate to break it to you this way but Missouri Auto Insurance doesn't cross over and cover you in Texas. So you are driving illegally in the state of Texas for a long time. Also, when you go to the DPS to surrender your DL and you let them know you have a vehicle the insurance has to be Texas insurance. Furthermore, lying to save your butt $$ at the DPS can result in the suspension of your TX DL and damage your credit worthlyness with good insurance companies. So my advice get a second job for the time being, like waiting tables or something save the $$ get the stuff taken care of before 02/12 and get legal. BTW the Missouri DL is not legal here unless your here within the Vistors guideline of Texas, so yes you are illegally driving here in Texas.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:49 PM

912 posts, read 2,559,255 times
Quote:
I have a MISSOURI drivers license and registration. You idiots act as if I've been driving without a license. Thanks for NOT answering my question. If you're going to post, answer the question or say you don't know. I did not ask your OPINION!!!
Quote:
Ok here's my problem (I apologize in advance for being so 'long-winded')....

I moved from St. Louis to Houston in February of 2009.

I have NOT gotten my TX drivers license NOR have I registered my vehicle in TX for 2 reasons (#1 I am a chronic procrastinator and have heard horror stories about DPS and #2 my vehicle will not pass inspection in TX due to my check engine light, I found out I need 3 O2 sensors so I will need add'l time to save money (over 1K) to get my car fixed before I can register the vehicle in TX)

I got a ticket last Friday (1/15/10) for driving without headlights (it was raining, I pulled off the gas station lot and did not turn on my lights right away, my interiors were on and I had no idea my lights weren't on, go figure!) so the NICE police officer gave me ONLY 2 tickets for #1 Driving without lights and #2 Failing to report my change of address on drivers license===both tickets amounting to close to $400!!!! The cop told me if I take my new TX DL to court (court date is 2/12/10), I will get the 2nd ticket dismissed. The cop was NICE enough NOT to ticket me for failing to register my vehicle and no TX inspection (THANK GOD!!! ) I told him I just moved to TX last month, but he didn't believe me! lol

HERE IS MY QUESTION:

When I go to get my TX drivers license, I plan to tell them that I do NOT own a vehicle yet , HOWEVER-----Will they "run a check" to see if I've received traffic tickets? If they do, they will see that I was ticketed driving a vehicle registered to me---will I get in trouble?

The only idiot here is the person driving otherwise than in accordance with the law and advertising it on a public forum.

I wonder if it's possible to reverse look up your details and report you to the police?

Let's see Ms Lewis, age 35, special programs coordinator, ZIP 77082, Missouri plates been in Houston since Feb 2009.........shouldn't be that difficult.

edit to add quote admission of guilt for posterity

Last edited by Grunn; 01-19-2010 at 02:59 PM..

Old 01-19-2010, 03:07 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,451,246 times
Let's see, you are:

A. Breaking the laws regarding driving in Texas as a new resident

B. Asking for tips on how to lie to the state agency responsible for overseeing the laws

and

C. Airing all of this on a public forum...

...Yet we are the idiots?

Old 01-19-2010, 03:11 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,539,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Let's see, you are:

A. Breaking the laws regarding driving in Texas as a new resident

B. Asking for tips on how to lie to the state agency responsible for overseeing the laws

and

C. Airing all of this on a public forum...

...Yet we are the idiots?
Lost, could not have said it any better! Reps to you!!!

Old 01-19-2010, 03:28 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,426,689 times
Yeah...I think everyone answered all your questions.

Good luck with alllllllllllllllll that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston