Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:45 PM

10 posts, read 45,286 times

Advertisements

Conservative - meaning socially? Just throw a dart at a map and dont hit the center. You might accidentally hit all sorts of awful things like gays, museums, universities and lovely old neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massorcal View Post
Conservative - meaning socially? Just throw a dart at a map and dont hit the center. You might accidentally hit all sorts of awful things like gays, museums, universities and lovely old neighborhoods.
And Unicorns!

Old 01-11-2010, 08:38 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I think the city is a city. Its people are all up and down the spectrum. In the aggregate they lean more left than those in the suburbs or the country, in the aggregate, but to suppose that everyone thinks the same way because of where they live is no less ignorant than non-Texans thinking we all wear cowboy hats to work.
Thank you, thats why i was asking about outside of Houston and not inner city houston. i am sure there are nice, great neighborhoods in Houston proper, like east houston, like they have in most cities-but i was interested in the suburbs and not to make it political.

It is sad that one cant ask about a niche area that fits them without those who are not in at group thinking it excludes them. I thought Houston was like the rest of the US cities with neighborhoods that had a variety of different kinds of people. Perhaps it does and most here just dont know about it.

thanks for your help though.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
I thought Houston was like the rest of the US cities with neighborhoods that had a variety of different kinds of people. Perhaps it does and most here just dont know about it.
The suburbs of Houston are more diverse than segregated. Sugar Land may have a reputation for being politically conservative but the reality is that there are all types of political persuasions living here. The common denominator is that most people here are family-oriented and moved here for the neighborhood feel and good public schools.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,864,300 times
Quote:
Thank you, thats why i was asking about outside of Houston and not inner city houston. i am sure there are nice, great neighborhoods in Houston proper, like east houston, like they have in most cities-but i was interested in the suburbs and not to make it political.

It is sad that one cant ask about a niche area that fits them without those who are not in at group thinking it excludes them. I thought Houston was like the rest of the US cities with neighborhoods that had a variety of different kinds of people. Perhaps it does and most here just dont know about it.

thanks for your help though.
Glennloch. You already have your answer.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Well, gotta thank post # 20 for this. I don't mind Republicans, but what I do mind is Republicans having an anti-everything attiude. You need to be accepting of other people. There are people who are black, gay, muslim, atheist etc. Nobody wants a hate mongering person in his neighborhood, not even in Houston.
If you're looking for that, then I don't think that's what you will find here. Cinco Ranch is accepting as well. I know some people who live there.

Again.. post # 20.
no one said anything about hate and just because one is republican or democrat doesnt mean they hate. It seems alot of liberals came on this post attacking christians and conservatives when this post had nothing to do with hate, but they brought it in anyway--but i didnt see your post to them about intolerance and hate. I am black and conservative, there are black neighborhoods in Houston are they filled with anti everything just because someone might be interested in living in them and asking about information about them? I am sure there are gay people in houston interested in knowing where other gay people congregate, doesnt make them hateful because they do.

so i asked about people they are likeminded as myself and where they live, nothing hateful about that and i dont know where you read that in my post. I know progressive and liberal neighborhoods in New York and Philadelphia that want their neighborhoods to reflect their beliefs-with food cooperatives, progressive shops and schools. It doesnt mean they are hateful of conservatives just because they want a progressive area anymore than conservatives are hateful to want to have neighborhoods that reflect their values.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
The suburbs of Houston are more diverse than segregated. Sugar Land may have a reputation for being politically conservative but the reality is that there are all types of political persuasions living here. The common denominator is that most people here are family-oriented and moved here for the neighborhood feel and good public schools.
Thank you Topaz, thats all i asked from the beginning-nothing about segregation or exclusion, every area has a mixture of people, its makes it a great place to live. Just looking for an area that was politically and socially leaning Right, just as i am sure there are areas of H town that lean left.

thanks again

Old 01-11-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Well, to cut through the BS...

You grew up in suburban Dallas? Take any suburb of Houston. It'll be a lot like where you grew up. Right down to the Chili's in front of the Wal-Mart.
No chilis or walmart in Highland park or las colinas when i was growing up or in arlington at that time.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:10 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,864,300 times
Quote:
no one said anything about hate and just because one is republican or democrat doesnt mean they hate. It seems alot of liberals came on this post attacking christians and conservatives when this post had nothing to do with hate, but they brought it in anyway--but i didnt see your post to them about intolerance and hate. I am black and conservative, there are black neighborhoods in Houston are they filled with anti everything just because someone might be interested in living in them and asking about information about them? I am sure there are gay people in houston interested in knowing where other gay people congregate, doesnt make them hateful because they do.

so i asked about people they are likeminded as myself and where they live, nothing hateful about that and i dont know where you read that in my post. I know progressive and liberal neighborhoods in New York and Philadelphia that want their neighborhoods to reflect their beliefs-with food cooperatives, progressive shops and schools. It doesnt mean they are hateful of conservatives just because they want a progressive area anymore than conservatives are hateful to want to have neighborhoods that reflect their values.
Well, you haven't really said anything about your views so far. All I had was #20, which I did respond to. So, I don't know why you think I meant you.
I don't know of any crazy conservative suburb. I guess the more expensive the more conservative. I've also heard Friendswood/Clear Lake etc. are conservative.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:38 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,861 times
What's a libertarian?

Um, must have been hiding behind my Government book sleeping during that lecture.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston