Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:24 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,519,633 times

Advertisements

Way to go Parker.

Skin color and gender have nothing to do with being the best fire fighter for the job. PC strikes again. I hope this isn't going to be her trend.

When people scream about not wanting to be judged for gender or race, then this should be an insult.
Parker Wants Changes In HPD, HFD - Politics News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/politics/21959190/detail.html - broken link)

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 12-14-2009 at 07:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 07:52 AM

2,551 posts, read 4,061,040 times
Maybe it's because some members of the HFD have proven to be chauvinist bigots. Have you read the paper lately? Sounds like she thinks more diversity would change a culture of bigotry. Or do you prefer sexist slurs to being "PC"?

Old 12-14-2009, 08:05 AM

I prefer the most skilled firefighter or police officer for the job. I don't give a flip about race, gender or sexual orientation.I really don't care that it's "balanced." I think it takes a certain kind of female to do those jobs and dish back what is given to her... and the really good ones do. As to making sure skin color is balanced, that's one of the most preposterous thing I've ever read. Passing over more qualified firefighters to be PC, insane. They did it in CT though.

It's a macho job, your going to have chauvinist pigs in macho/physical jobs, I don't care how you try to clean it up. MHO, and I'm sticking to it.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:09 AM

2,551 posts, read 4,061,040 times
But if you don't care how you clean it up, then you shouldn't mind her solution.

And you're still missing the point. This isn't being done to be PC, it's being done to solve a problem. How can a bunch of firefighters perform as a team if they are singling out certain members and harassing them? It's not a matter of having a thick skin... did you read the stories about what was done? Nobody, no matter how tough, should have to put up with that.

Anyway she is just following the recommendations of a panel of independent law firms who investigated the incidents:
http://www.firehouse.com/topics/care...t-norm-houston

Even though the panel did not find the racism and sexism to be widespread, they still recommended more diversity in recruitment. Why hire independent investigators if you're going to ignore their recommendations? That wouldn't be very good governance.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:13 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,216,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I prefer the most skilled firefighter or police officer for the job. I don't give a flip about race, gender or sexual orientation.I really don't care that it's "balanced." I think it takes a certain kind of female to do those jobs and dish back what is given to her... and the really good ones do.
I understand it went waaay over giving the women a little sass. They destroyed their possessions (including a photo of a female firefighter's dead daughter) and urinated all over the women's bathroom and locker room. "Boys will be boys" ? There was a lot more. I think that someone can be a great firefighter without being a b*****d.

We have to try and stop the foaming-at-the-mouth hatred that appears to becoming more common. I understand how adopting a PC attitude towards everything gets ridiculous - but the other extreme is worse.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 AM

So throw out the bad eggs. Diversity is not always the answer. There will be bad firefighters and bad cops no matter how PC/diverse you make it.

Glad they hired an investigator who gave the catch-all phrase diversity again. Probably personality screening would solve the problem more than diversity. Just saying.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:23 AM

480 posts, read 1,700,890 times
This doesn't surprise me, especially when the HPD endorsed her opponent. I guess they saw what was coming if she won.

Should we stay tuned for HPD's big firesale of used Tasers? Possibly.

In the years ahead I would expect to see Houston become an even bigger sanctuary city than it is now.

These are just my opinions, your mileage may vary.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,247,963 times
If you all were a part of the 86% that didn't bother to vote, you might as well can it now and wish our Mayor the best.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:06 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,561,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
If you all were a part of the 86% that didn't bother to vote, you might as well can it now and wish our Mayor the best.
^ There's no real way to argue with that statement.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:18 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,253,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
*raises hand*

I didn't even know where to vote, and plus, I don't think I was even in Houston at time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston