Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 04:06 PM

8 posts, read 18,488 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any advice on this? As mentioned in a previous thread, looking to relocate to grand lakes/Cinco Ranch area sometime in the next 6-9 months. We definitely want a home with an inground pool. But, inventory for homes with pools is kind of low in our price range. I was wondering if it would be better to buy a home without a pool and then put one it or not. Whats a nice Houston area pool go for (like one with a connected hottub/jacuzzi)? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 04:15 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,060,092 times
I believe 25k-50k for a nice in ground.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:19 PM

967 posts, read 2,615,372 times
Have no idea what a pool would go for... but I would reason that it would be best to buy a house that suits you on the inside... you always can choose to put in a pool later. You wouldn't buy a house with a pool that had a "funky Kitchen" one less bedroom than you needed, next to a busy street, would you?

That being said, a pool will add nothing to your resale here. And do you know in Cinco you have 8 pools to choose from? Grand Lakes has several too. You'll pay $900+/yr in HOA fees anyways, so you may as well get your dollars worth!

Good luck, in either way

Old 11-18-2009, 07:57 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,303,395 times
40-50 grand for a pool and dont count on getting it back when you sell. Unless you keep the property for over a decade. I have seen this too many times when selling new homes in the burbs with pools. Most times they wont even appraise. I suggest finding a home with a pool already in.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:01 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,538,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
40-50 grand for a pool and dont count on getting it back when you sell. Unless you keep the property for over a decade. I have seen this too many times when selling new homes in the burbs with pools. Most times they wont even appraise. I suggest finding a home with a pool already in.
yeah, I don't think you even have an easy time reselling a burb house without a pool. It's "the" thing.

Personally, I hate the darn things. Something is alway breaking.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:08 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,060,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
yeah, I don't think you even have an easy time reselling a burb house without a pool. It's "the" thing.

Personally, I hate the darn things. Something is alway breaking.
You're right. Although everyone likes a pretty pool, not everyone wants to pay the extra monthly utilities, higher insurance premiums and often higher safety issues.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:11 AM

201 posts, read 916,376 times
We thought about a pool a few years ago but decided against it. The bids we received were for around a 25,000 gallon pool (which is not large IMO) with hot tub. The cost for just the pool and equipment was around $25K. The cost to make the pool look nice was an additional $25K, which included things like flagstone, landscaping, large rocks and boulders around one edge of the pool, waterfall, etc.

I don't know whether our bids were above or below average, but it is a real world example. We decided against it because it didn't make sense to spend $50K on our $250K house, especially when it added very little to the resale value of the home and potentially make it harder to sell.

So my advice is if you really want a pool, be patient and find a house that already has one. You'll save a lot of money up front. Plus, I've seen a few neighbors have pools built. It seems like a real hassle.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:40 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,230,554 times
Minimum $30K - and that is just basic - plan on another $15K to have it look good. On re-sale, you will get back about $5K compared to those without one. Cinco and Grand Lakes already have several. Unless you just have to have one (and the acccompanying related expenses and work), it would be easier to just use the subdivision's. If you do go with one, try to find a house that already has one. Someone gave good advise above - don't sacrifice the quality of the house for a pool.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:27 PM

8 posts, read 18,488 times
Thank you all for the informative info. If anyone else has more info or opinion/advise to pass along, it is appreciated.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:26 PM

497 posts, read 1,488,191 times
Find a house with the pool already in and let the current owner pay for it rather than you.

We bought our house with $130k worth of pool, patio, cabana, landscaping, lights, etc. in the back yard and maybe $10k was reflected in the price.

Yes there is expense, and things do break. I have put $2k in repairs in our pool since we moved in a couple of years ago. It is work. But we love the pool in the summer and feel it is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston