Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 02:46 PM

18 posts, read 75,902 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a move to Houston. We have two daughters (7 and 2). The 7-year old is in the gifted program. I will be working on Westheimer around the 610 loop. We are looking at the Katy areas of Cinco Ranch and Grand Lakes and I would like comparative feedback as to the quality of life in the areas, travel times, the amenities for our daughters, etc.

Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 02:58 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Can't go wrong with either one, Cinco is bigger w/ more amenities. Travel times will be anywhere from 40 to 50 min.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:38 PM

118 posts, read 340,083 times
Yes, they are both excellent comunnities. They are both in the Katy School District, which is highly acclaimed.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:44 PM

118 posts, read 340,083 times
You may also want to check Kelliwood and Falcon Ranch.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:09 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Cinco seems to have more amenities. Anywhere in that whole area, you get a lot of house for the money. Don't go much further west than Cinco, the commute will cancel out the decrease in price. Neighborhoods seem nicer the further north you go from Westpark tollway, staying south of I-10. Cinco keeps appreciating, as does the Falcon area. Check out Seven Meadows, also. All right there.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:57 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
Both are very nice, Grand Lakes has slightly higher HOA fees for far less amenities. We looked in both extensively, as well as Seven Lakes, and I'm glad we chose Cinco. Commute times are essentially identical. Disagree with the pp about neighborhoods being nicer the farther from Westpark tollway, Seven Lakes and Cinco SW border 1093/Westpark Tollway and they are both gorgeous.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:20 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
In English, does that really mean "Five Ranch"? I always wondered about that.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:05 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
In English, does that really mean "Five Ranch"? I always wondered about that.
Yes. The area used to be Blakely ranch, but the owner sold the ranch to someone who convinced 4 of his friends to join him in the venture (hence the 5 or "cinco"). More info on wikipedia if you are curious...

Cinco Ranch, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-09-2009, 09:43 AM

160 posts, read 399,353 times
I disagree as well about the neighborhoods being better the further you get away from Westpark.

Grand Lakes does have less amenities compared to Cinco but that is because Grand Lakes has only about 2700 homes in the entire community. The reason the HOA dues are higher in Grand Lakes is because they have more amenities per household than Cinco, more lakes, more parks, more pools, thus making the annual contribution per household in Grand Lakes higher, but also making the crowding of these facilities less.

Since you are looking in Grand Lakes and in Cinco, I am assuming you are looking for a used home. The commute from Cinco if you are located on the west side of Grand Parkway could be longer depending on how far you are off of Fry/Westheimer Parkway/Cinco Ranch Blvd you are looking. The beauty about Grand Lakes is it proximity to Westpark Tollway and Grand Parkway.

All this being said both communities are very good and I think you will not go wrong with either of them. Seven Meadows is also very nice. I would stay away from Falcon area if Cinco and Grand Lakes are your choices, I do not feel Falcon is even comparable to these two communities.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:55 PM

4 posts, read 23,623 times
I've just moved in to grand lakes for about 3 months now, and I just loving it!! I purchase the section close to the HEB Fry rd side, it is an awesome place to live. Very wide open space, lots are bigger, and tons of pretty lakes everywhere you look! I did looked at cinco ranch also, but I just want a big house with nice size lot and beautiful lakes all around me!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: