Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:46 AM

27 posts, read 88,032 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Memorial Parkway and all I can say is WOW. This beats anything in the Cypress area in terms of value and, actually, also feels more wholesome to me than the highly acclaimed Cinco Ranch master-planned community.

On the border include neighborhoods such as Kelliwood and Nottingham that cost 1.5 times as much or more...and we share the same great schools (IE Taylor High School)...homes here are more like $115K while theirs are $170K+.
-------------------------------------
The houses here may be older (IE 1984-ish), but the build quality and maintenance is outstanding (think brick-veneer and hardy plank...no exterior wood).

And a big plus that many people miss...the kids and parents here are sociable and down to earth. NONE of the snobbish-ness I found in C(st)inco Ranch...just about everyone says hi and are thankful for their lifestyles rather than boastful.

And, at night even on weekends, it's so quiet on the streets you can hear a pin drop...and feels incredibly safe.

There are also lots of people outside with their kids, going to nearby parks (and the zoned/free tennis courts, playground, and pool).

Far as the neighboring area, I got a lot of heat trying to decide if amenities at Cinco IE the artificial beach and trails were worth it. Truth is the pool and incredibly well lit playground (both impeccably taken care of) are already great.
Plus with the $700+ a year I save in HOA fees (and the thousands in home/mortgage/tax costs) vs. Cinco I can afford numerous programs through which my children can meet others in the area, pay for private schools easily, and more.

Not to mention we are a short skip and a jump away from Mary Jo Peckham park (free playground, miniature golf, fishing, and more) and NOT way up on Grand-Parkway facing traffic (as many Cinco neighborhoods are).
---------------------------------------
Another plus: Mason road is like a huge mall within itself: we almost never go to Katy Mills anymore. Skeeters (top notch mesquite grill), a surprisingly well kept 99-Cent Store, HEB, Randalls, Chase, Bank Of America, Big Lots, Bike Barn, AT&T, Hollywood Video, Blockbuster, Gamestop, CVS, Walgreens, Schtolzsky's (great sandwiches and pizza), etc.
And there aren't any huge Wal-Marts or semi-exploitative retailers which often hire the sorts of semi-criminal people who (along with bully-ish schools like Morton Ranch and Cypress Springs) bring down neighborhood and cause housing prices to plummet (as I've seen happen with two neighborhoods I was looking at before, Lakeville and Sundown...both in the Cypress area).

These aren't high priced clothing shops like the ones you'd find in Cinco Ranch or Katy, but are instead very well kept and sell much more practical items. It's most of Houston's shopping variety all in one place within 2 miles or so.

I still go to Katy Mills for the Toys R Us in that area or Johnny Rocket's or to see a movie, but that's about it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
One thing I CAN'T say for this neighborhood...the houses are mostly 2000 or so square feet or smaller and have modestly (and not hugely) sized master bedrooms. Though it's very well kept, this isn't the sort of place you go to show off your wealth.

But that doesn't seem to be the point...this is a neighborhood for parents sincerely concerned about raising kids rather than boasting about themselves. And it's really that whole mentality that brought me here.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:56 AM

241 posts, read 585,684 times
Well, I moved into Cinco Ranch one month ago and have not encountered anyone with the attitudes you described. Everyone has been incredible friendly, genuine, and truly welcoming. I love it here, but to each their own.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:19 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,794 times
I love how the newbs from Katy (who don't know where Cypress is) try to compare the Katy part of CFISD to South Katy and call it Cypress.

Hint: the area between 529 and Clay is NOT Cypress. Note for the newbs...Cypress is the area stretching down from Hwy 249 that goes past 290 to Longenbaugh (just before you reach 529). Most of Cypress is North of 290.

Coles Crossing > Cinco
Longwood > Cinco
Lakewood Oaks Estates > Cinco
Northlake Forest > Cinco
Blackhorse Ranch > Cinco
Bridgelands > Cinco
Rock Creek > Cinco
Lakewood Glen > Cinco
Stable Gate > Cinco
Tuscany > Cinco
Lakes of Fairhaven > Cinco
Lakes of Rosehill > Cinco
Cypress Creek Lakes = Cinco
Fairfield = Cinco
Cypress Lakes = Cinco
Stonegate = Cinco
etc, etc.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 11-10-2009 at 09:53 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 09:39 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,900 times
It is a nice neighborhood, but it is older. Many people move to Cinco, not just because it is Cinco, but because it is a NEW HOME.

Tech Shield, 15 Seer Airconditioning, Upgraded Insulation, Double Pane Vinyl Windows, Variable Speed Furnaces, PEX Water System, Fresh Air Intake, and many other energy efficient features make a new home attractive, and an older home an energy guzzler.

And no offense here, but eventually, a neighborhood that is older, has homes nearby that are in the 80's and 90's will eventually go downhill. Take a look at Quail Valley in Missouri City.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:50 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,425 times
What part of Memorial Parkway are you referring to?
Every time we pass by there on Kingsland, I see a lot of old run-down looking homes.
Maybe there are nicer homes away from the main street, but I would hardly say its better than the newer homes in the Cinco Ranch area.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:02 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtrancendance View Post

And a big plus that many people miss...the kids and parents here are sociable and down to earth. NONE of the snobbish-ness I found in C(st)inco Ranch...just about everyone says hi and are thankful for their lifestyles rather than boastful.

And, at night even on weekends, it's so quiet on the streets you can hear a pin drop...and feels incredibly safe.

There are also lots of people outside with their kids, going to nearby parks (and the zoned/free tennis courts, playground, and pool).

and NOT way up on Grand-Parkway facing traffic (as many Cinco neighborhoods are).
---------------------------------------
Another plus: Mason road is like a huge mall within itself: we almost never go to Katy Mills anymore. Skeeters (top notch mesquite grill), a surprisingly well kept 99-Cent Store, HEB, Randalls, Chase, Bank Of America, Big Lots, Bike Barn, AT&T, Hollywood Video, Blockbuster, Gamestop, CVS, Walgreens, Schtolzsky's (great sandwiches and pizza), etc.

But that doesn't seem to be the point...this is a neighborhood for parents sincerely concerned about raising kids rather than boasting about themselves. And it's really that whole mentality that brought me here.
lol. Reverse snobbery.

I hope that I never put down anyone for where they choose to live. I do think there are some lovely areas in older parts of Katy. Personally, I didn't want to have to remodel an older home, so I chose to build new and I ended up in Cinco. I have lived in the Cinco area since Sept 2005 (1 year and a half as a renter before deciding where to settle down) and I have never met any snobs. I'm sure there are some, as is I am sure there are some where you live - snobbery is less about income but more about thinking you are better than others - for any reason - like moving into Memorial Parkway then bad mouthing Cinco (or as you said "C(St)inco") and the people who live there.

Someone down to earth would have just said "wow, I moved to memorial parkway and I am so happy with my neighbors and neighborhood. I love being close to Mason and Mary Jo Peckham park".

Instead of sounding happy, you actually sound, dare I say it, a little jealous. More like you are trying to justify where you live to others AND to yourself.

Oh, and I would much rather have to drive on Grand Parkway than Mason north of Highland anyday (that intersection at Mason and Highland is a b***h isn't it?). I do occasionally go to Mason, but I always get to it via the nearest cross street off of 99. And, yes, 99 and I-10 is a nightmare as well, but I very seldom have a reason to go that way.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:45 PM

293 posts, read 1,035,759 times
I live in Cinco Ranch and I love it, very friendly neighbors that care for their homes.

I am glad you like where you live, that is what is important.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:41 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,179 times
Reverse snobbery, definitely. So you love Memorial Parkway...great! Doesn't mean people in Cinco aren't just as nice, friendly and down to earth...trust me, they are. No need to tear down another neighborhood just because you are happy with yours. There is not a lot of showing off that I see in Cinco Ranch, and traffic is great. I personally detest Mason Rd and avoid it whenever possible, going to La Centerra or Katy Mills or just Target when I need something.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:49 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Coles Crossing > Cinco
Longwood > Cinco
Lakewood Oaks Estates > Cinco
Northlake Forest > Cinco
Blackhorse Ranch > Cinco
Bridgelands > Cinco
etc, etc.
I don't know, the popularity of Cinco in the real estate world seems to imply otherwise. From what I've read about anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
And no offense here, but eventually, a neighborhood that is older, has homes nearby that are in the 80's and 90's will eventually go downhill. Take a look at Quail Valley in Missouri City.
But isn't most of First Colony in this time period? Even so, real estate is nuts, especially in the Clements High zone.

As far as Quail Valley, parts of First Colony were fighting hard not to be zoned to the Quail Valley schools. I think the schools have more to do with the lack of desirability there, rather than the age of the homes.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:16 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
Wow! Sounds like the OP has a bee in his/her bonnet. I live in Oak Park Trails, which is considered part of Memorial Parkway and used to live on the other side of Highland Knolls, which was smack dab in the middle of Memorial Parkway. My son goes to Taylor High School.

Shopping on Mason Rd. sucks, but then, to me, shopping anywhere sucks. I would do all my shopping on Amazon if they had fresh food. I have nothing against Cinco and shop at the Kroger there and sometimes at La Centerra. Anything north of Highland Knolls on Mason I try to avoid just because of the traffic.

I just don't get the animosity.

BTW, are you my neighbor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston