Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:44 PM

16 posts, read 87,811 times

Advertisements

- David Weekly
- Newmark
- Perry
- Ryland

I am looking for new homes in either Katy/Sugarland/Spring-Cypress area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 01:54 PM

166 posts, read 685,823 times
I will put them in order of which I would pick out of this list:

David Weekly
Perry
Newmark
Ryland

Old 11-02-2009, 01:56 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,854,220 times
Well, a lot depends on what your goals are, and what your taste is. Here is my 2 cents

1) Elminate Ryland
2) Perry....if dollar per square foot and getting a deal on inventory is important
3) Nemark or Weekley if you are building from the ground up and want to customize the home, make lots of selections...etc.

I prefer Newmark, but Weekley has some good plans. Newmark has more good plans. Although Weekley builds an open plan, their closets and secondary bedrooms are small. Both are quality builders.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:43 PM

166 posts, read 903,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icesun View Post
- David Weekly
- Newmark
- Perry
- Ryland

I am looking for new homes in either Katy/Sugarland/Spring-Cypress area.

Looks like you already ranked them like would have! Except I wouldn't have even considered Ryland amongst those builders in that list.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:36 AM

118 posts, read 342,402 times
I agree, of the four Ryland is the least I would recomend.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:49 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,196,577 times
i would put perry at the top of this list from a contractor stand point. weekly treated their people (employees and contractors) very poorly over the last year or 2, newmark has already filed bankruptcy, and as i have been told (little birdy?) they are now or have been recently possibly ready for a second one.
ryland is not a good builder, not much better then KB imo.

perry has been around, thick and thin, builds a decent product, treats trades fairly well (all things considered). IMO how a builder treats their trades (high turnover, slow to pay) is the biggest key to how "good" a builder is, keep your trades happy and you get a quality product, dont and you get inferior work, slower time frames, and more problems in the long run.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:20 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,188,101 times
Why would you not recommend Ryland? I am currently building a home from them, and everything has been fantastic! I personally don't think it's the builder, but more your general contractor who's actually building your house that makes a difference. We have been VERY specific with instructions (such as where wiring went, speakers, placement of anything really) and my husband is very meticulous. We took pictures of a ceiling design we wanted that was in a different house, and they copied it to our floorplan beautifully. Any issues we have had (which have all been minor) were fixed within a day or two. Plus he (our contractor) has had some subcontractors mess something up (with explicit instructions from him - and they still screwed it up), he followed through, and it was fixed immediately.

I think David Weekly, who builds nice homes, is overpriced for what you get. Plus they have small closets. But I like their floorplans.

I think all Perry homes look alike. I can drive down a street where Perry is building (among other builders) and pick out almost all the Perry homes. I don't care for their floorplans, or their exteriors.

I am not too familiar with Newmark, as they don't build in my area (that I know of). At least I have never been in their homes.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:36 AM

You are wrong about Newmark Rigas. They were purchased by the local mgmt. group and are doing quite well. They are now called Newmark Homes Houston and have no relation with the former parent company TOUSA, except they have a committment to purchase their land positions here in Houston.

I agree with you about Weekley and their employees, they treat them like crap. All that top 100 places to work is a smokescreen. They have THE HIGHEST turnover in the industry. They do build a good home though.

Ryland is known for shoddy workmanship and cutting corners. Congratulations if you had a good experience with them, you were lucky

Old 11-04-2009, 12:20 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,824,095 times
In my area Newmark has an entire neighborhood of lots but they seem to have sold their models and aren't building any houses which is usually not a good sign. I know its not the area because the other builders in the adjacent neighborhood are still filling their lots quickly.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:24 PM

Chris,

The local mgmt team got to cherry pick the communities that they wanted to take, the rest are gone and won't be built on. Last time I checked, they selected about 18 communities in the Houston area to stay in...master plans, and will not be building on the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston