Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 11:01 PM

36 posts, read 111,520 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any advice for the best water softener system. I know nothing about getting a water softener but know I would like better water than what I have in Katy, Tx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 07:31 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,367 times
We had a lady do a presentation at our home for a service called "Rain Soft".
She claimed it was better than a water softener and the sample water we tried tasted great.
We didn't get it though.
Has anyone else had any experience with this service?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:49 AM

166 posts, read 899,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFEdoc View Post
Does anyone have any advice for the best water softener system. I know nothing about getting a water softener but know I would like better water than what I have in Katy, Tx.
Kinetico. do a google search on this brand. Highly satisfied with them!

Old 10-12-2009, 11:11 PM

286 posts, read 1,481,177 times
I've sold many softeners to DIYers in Katy. I suggest a correctly sized softener using the Clack WS-1 control valve. A softener has to be sized for the number of family members, the number of bathrooms and the type of fixtures in them like large tubs, body spray showers etc..

I also have a handyman there for those that want someone to install it for them.

Rainsoft is overpriced and uses a proprietary version of the Fleck 5600 control valve. You can't get parts from anyone but them. Their service call charges are also high.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Research...

I did a lot of research before purchasing mine. From my research, I learned that the Fleck is a provider of hardware to many of the brands out there. As Gary pointed out, Rain Soft is overpriced, and has a monolopy on their parts, even though it is a Fleck controller.

I ended up purchasing a used unit that I found on Craigslist. The person selling it only wanted $20.00 for a dual tank commercial system from a company called US Filter. The company does not exist anymore as an entity, and from my research on Google, it was gobbled up by mergers, and acquisitions. The unit was an indoor model, and not used much... 'turns out the neighbor who gave it to him yanked it out of her house due to spite becuase of a spat with the new home buyer.

That said, the fact that US Filter does not exist did not bother me becuase all the parts are Fleck, which can be serviced/ordered by most people who support them, like Gary.

The path I chose is not for everybody, but I've had water softeners in the past, electronic and mechanical models, and I'm good with plumbing and electrical work. Since my family has grown, and I don't have much free time, if I was in the market for a unit now I'd probably just get a new one and be done with it.

BTW, the dual tank system means I am never without soft water, even during the recharge cycle. Everything is so much better with soft water; taking showers anywhere else now makes me feel like I'm washing with lard, and rust! If you don't have soft water, you don't know what you are missing.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:10 PM

101 posts, read 545,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
..... for a dual tank commercial system from a company called US Filter.
ProblemWater.com - We fix Problem Water
Does your system look like one of these?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 PM

Default Yes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy CWS View Post
ProblemWater.com - We fix Problem Water
Does your system look like one of these?
It looks like the last one, Oakhurst. It is beige, though, but they are connected to the controller as the one in the photo.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:03 PM

38 posts, read 137,335 times
If you direct message me I will give you the name of the company that I used that did a fantastic job for less than half of what all the other companies wanted to charge. They did a fantastic job. They don't offer propietary systems that make you have to go back to them to get replacement filters for the reverse osmosis system that comes with the softening system. All the systems that they offer have the highest residential flow rates. I live here in Katy...Firethorne...& the company I used is a local company that most of all my neighbors used. We were all VERY happy with this company & the THOUSANDS of dollars that we saved.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:30 AM

101 posts, read 545,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
It looks like the last one, Oakhurst. It is beige, though, but they are connected to the controller as the one in the photo.
The color of the tanks is not intrinsic to the system and just a choice by dealer or customer. With softeners, size does matter.

Here is the manual fro that unit. Twin-Flo 100e
http://www.hydrotechwater.com/PDF/Ma...%20TwinFlo.pdf

Hope this helped.
Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 10-15-2009, 06:08 AM

Default Thanks...

Thanks for the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston