Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:27 AM

410 posts, read 1,494,754 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

The last time I bought glasses was about 3 years ago so now I'm ready for a new pair.

I'm interested in buying a pair of glasses. I'm thinking about Transitions Prescription Lenses (the lenses that go from light to dark depending on the sun). I described it because when I looked up "Transition Lenses" in the forums I got results that have nothing to do with prescription glasses.

How much do they cost? (I used my insurance for contacts this year so this would be out of pocket)

What are the pros and cons of these lenses?

Or would you suggest getting a pair of regular prescription glasses and a prescription pair of sunglasses.

I'm pretty sensitive to light and get headaches from the sun if I don't wear sunglasses so I'm wondering if they get really dark.

I've read mixed reviews on the internet, some people say they don't lighten up enough after a while of having them and it takes them forever to change from dark to clear after entering a room.

Also what are additional things I need to add to glasses in general? (Scratch Resistant...I know but what else) I know these things are additional $ so I don't want to get something just because the lady/gentleman at Eyemaster is telling me to get it.

Any insight is appreciated. (No pun intended...LOL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 10:10 AM

8 posts, read 78,321 times
I own a pair. They will not darken unless hit by direct sunlight. If you're driving, don't count on them to double as sunglasses. They only darken very slightly because of no direct exposure to sunlight. If you're walking outside, then they work great.

I don't like mine anymore. There's always a slight tint to them that makes watching TV annoying.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:14 PM

410 posts, read 1,494,754 times
Thanks for the info......anyone else?

Old 08-21-2009, 07:00 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,122,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naimgaim View Post
I own a pair. They will not darken unless hit by direct sunlight. If you're driving, don't count on them to double as sunglasses. They only darken very slightly because of no direct exposure to sunlight. If you're walking outside, then they work great.

I don't like mine anymore. There's always a slight tint to them that makes watching TV annoying.
I was going to get the same type of lenses however I also received feedback from folks who had some that you definitely can't count on them to get dark unless you're outside in direct sun. They won't darken in the car. As driving is when I really need dark sunglasses, I decided not to go that route.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:23 AM

739 posts, read 2,261,602 times
I have 2 glasses and contacts. My glasses are the ones that get dark they were cheap the insurance paid 450 of it so I only paid like 100. I think they are like 50 more than the regular ones.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:39 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,122,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
I have 2 glasses and contacts. My glasses are the ones that get dark they were cheap the insurance paid 450 of it so I only paid like 100. I think they are like 50 more than the regular ones.
What insurance do you have that covers $450 for eyeglasses????

My glasses run around $500 a pair even if I go with cheapy frames (because of my high scrip).

Old 08-22-2009, 07:42 AM

26 posts, read 223,995 times
I have had them for years and couldn't survive without them as I am extremely light sensitive. Mine work just fine in the car and sometimes I even have a slight tint inside. To me they are worth the money because I wear my glasses all the time and couldn't imagine switching back and forth between regular glasses and sunglasses. Even when I wear my contacts I can't seem to keep up with my sunglasses so for me it's glasses during the day and contacts at night if I go anywhere.
They run about $75-150/lens in addition to your usual costs. Insurance will cover but up to the preset limit. After about 2 years, they are a bit slow on clearing up when you go from outside to inside in the shade but if you can bear with that for a minute or two, they are great.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:01 AM

739 posts, read 2,261,602 times
through my employer. They cover contacts up to 400 a year, glasses up to 450, frames up to 130, the exam is free, any eye doctor visits, eye surgery, etc is free. They cover all my medical bills after 500 deductable and medicine, and the dental covers 2,500 a year of dental bills, cleaning is free, and after 2,500 they cover 85%. They also cover mental health doctors at the rate of medical doctors. I also get short and long term disability, accident insurance and life insurance and long term care insurance free. It cost me 15 a week.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:47 PM

26 posts, read 223,995 times
Wow! Who do you work for? I need to get with them. LOL. That sounds great, really.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 28,800 times
I agree with what DSTcrna03 said. I'm not sure what product other reviewers were wearing, but working for Transitions Optical I can tell you that the 6th generation of the product (released in 2008) offers a darker lens when exposed to UV rays, faster fade to clear, and are clearer indoors/at night, especially when you pair them with an AR coating. Several insurance companies cover Transitions lenses and a few retailers, insurance companies and eyecare professionals will even offer to replace the lenses if you aren’t satisfied.
As DSTcrna03 said, depending on your lens choice, Transitions lenses generally cost an additional $75 - $150. Should you choose to purchase Transitions lenses, please be sure to ask for a Certificate of Authenticity to verify that your lenses are in fact Transitions lenses.
Here are some pros and cons:
Pros:
- They protect your eyes and sensitive skin around them from UV damage - as many overlook that the sun can be as damaging to the eyes as it is to the skin.
- Transitions are as clear as regular eyeglass lenses indoors and at night, but automatically darken outdoors when exposed to UV rays, and darken according to the amount of UV light. If it’s cloudy or you’re in the shade, the lenses won’t be as dark as when they are directly exposed to the sun. The lenses are meant to be a convenient everyday comfort lens, not a replacement for sunglasses.
- The adjustment is subtle and comfortable for the eyes. In fact, Transitions lenses enhance contrast and help reduce glare and squinting/eye strain.
Cons:
-As most of you mentioned, like ordinary lenses, Transitions won’t darken behind your car’s windshield. We usually recommend a 2nd pair of sunglasses or polarized lenses when driving or, for sunny days as the fix tint allows for consistent/enhanced comfort in those particular situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston