Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 02:52 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,098,022 times

Advertisements

I know it is an old thread - but HISD does allow inter-district transfers, so it is possible for Royal Oaks residents to send their children to HISD schools. The question is how easily this can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
With all due respect to the long-time posters on this forum... Why the hell the 'discussions' about public school OPTIONS for Royal Oaks??
Simply, there aren't any. Residents of Royal Oaks have NO public option. If elementary age, they go to 'Outley'. If intermediate, they go to 'Budewig'.
If the parents don't like either of those... they MUST opt for private school.

Who cares about Westside HS, Westbriar Middle School, Revere, or Askew Elementary?? They are NOT in the District and are NOT available to Royal Oaks residents!! Not an option!!
The subject of this thread IS 'Alief ISD', isn't it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 06:47 AM

I know it's an old post... but i think commenting on this will help people looking through old C-D posts for info about West Briar (and they may not necessarily pay attention to the dates). I thought I would clarify something.

The attendance boundaries indicate that the HISD part of the Westchase District is actually zoned to Revere Middle (this was also true at the time of the post!). http://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/T.../Revere_MS.pdf - Westchase District map: Find It Map - Westchase District - The West Briar zone: http://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/T...t_Briar_MS.pdf - Archived map to show this was true in the past: http://web.archive.org/web/200902270...s/RevereMS.pdf - However the kids in the Revere zone do have the option of transferring to West Briar: School Profile & Leadership / School Profile & Leadership - I don't know how many do it, but I imagine at least some of them do

As for whether an upper middle class parent would tolerate a student body being 33% poor/heavily minority, HISD board member Donald McAdams wrote in the 1990s that upper middle class 'rents typically tolerate high percentages of those students at middle and high school levels as the kids are tracked by ability: https://books.google.ca/books?id=4eY4cg07-CAC&pg=PA59

Quote:
School administrators knew the magic numbers. A white, middle-class community would support an elementary school that was up to 50 percent minority. For middle and high schools, which grouped classes somewhat by ability, the minority enrollment could exceed 70 percent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Yes! So, over a third of the student body at West Briar Middle is a poor urban kid living in an apartment in the Westchase District. What got things going down this path was someone wondering if Royal Oaks parents would like to use this school for their children, who are used to wealthy private schools. West Briar's bad stats won't float their boat. It may be a better school that the Alief middle counterpart you mention, but these parents aren't going to notice the diff.

The only online video of the school (aside from parents filming some cheerleaders) is of some AA kids dancing to a song about murder. Lovely. Dancing to a song about murder isn't my idea of kids trying to be edgy.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:11 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,137,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I know it is an old thread - but HISD does allow inter-district transfers, so it is possible for Royal Oaks residents to send their children to HISD schools. The question is how easily this can be done.
id be surprised if any royal oaks residents have kids in public schools at all.

i have several friends that live there and not a single one of their kids go to public school.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
id be surprised if any royal oaks residents have kids in public schools at all.

i have several friends that live there and not a single one of their kids go to public school.
They're in Alief ISD now, and a board member who lived in Royal Oaks said in 2008 that almost nobody there did Royal Oaks residents protest plan to raise property tax - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
Said Alief ISD Trustee John Hansen, who lives in Royal Oaks but opposes the committee’s campaign, “It’s by far the most expensive real estate in the Alief school district and very few of the children attend Alief ISD schools.”

Old 07-08-2017, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyker View Post
Hi!
We are currently looking at some new homes in 77083 zip code and noticed that they fall into the Alief school district. So I am looking for info about the school district the good and the bad. Are there other school districts nearby that someone can recommend if not this one? I have a new job in the area and would love to avoid a long commute. Thank you for any information you have!

We have kids in high school middle school and elementary.

I know about Elementary and High School in the district you are looking into. Unfortunately I know nothing about you, it is enough to say that I am an educator. That being said "Be careful."

Old 07-08-2017, 09:40 PM

The original post is from 2009. Having said that this is good advice for potential Alief ISD house shoppers in 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelstreet View Post
I know about Elementary and High School in the district you are looking into. Unfortunately I know nothing about you, it is enough to say that I am an educator. That being said "Be careful."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston