Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:07 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,479,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyker View Post
Hi!
We are currently looking at some new homes in 77083 zip code and noticed that they fall into the Alief school district. So I am looking for info about the school district the good and the bad. Are there other school districts nearby that someone can recommend if not this one? I have a new job in the area and would love to avoid a long commute. Thank you for any information you have!

We have kids in high school middle school and elementary.
If you have any other options, do NOT move into that district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 09:13 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,717 times
Y'all never had fights at your high schools?
I'm not trying to defend that kind of behavior by any means and would probably never send my children to one of the schools in the district.
However, some of y'all act like there were never any fights at the schools you went to.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:08 AM

265 posts, read 597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
I'm not trying to defend that kind of behavior by any means and would probably never send my children to one of the schools in the district.
However, some of y'all act like there were never any fights at the schools you went to.
Howdy y'all.

Are ya'll aware of just how stupid and ridiculous it looks to type that out on a message board. Do y'all understand that?

Old 08-21-2009, 10:15 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyker View Post
Hi!
We are currently looking at some new homes in 77083 zip code and noticed that they fall into the Alief school district. So I am looking for info about the school district the good and the bad. Are there other school districts nearby that someone can recommend if not this one? I have a new job in the area and would love to avoid a long commute. Thank you for any information you have!

We have kids in high school middle school and elementary.
YES. Fort Bend ISD to the southwest, Lamar CISD to the west and southwest, Katy ISD to the northwest, Houston ISD in the 77077 zip... I'd buy a home in all of those before investing in a home zoned to most of the Alief schools.

If you give us more info (price range, type of home, work location etc) we can help you out further.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:22 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Your location says Katy. Name me one high school in Katy ISD where something like that would happen on the last day of school

Old 08-21-2009, 10:28 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Speaking of which: Royal Oaks, a newly-established wealthy neighborhood, is zoned to Alief ISD.

Do you think they would want to secede from Alief ISD and join Houston ISD (and be zoned to Westside HS)?

Old 08-21-2009, 10:39 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Speaking of which: Royal Oaks, a newly-established wealthy neighborhood, is zoned to Alief ISD.

Do you think they would want to secede from Alief ISD and join Houston ISD (and be zoned to Westside HS)?
One of the big draws to Royal Oaks is its proximity to St. Agnes and Strake. A friend of mine who works for Alief told me the percentage of children that attend Alief schools from that subdivision is less than 2 percent.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:22 AM

265 posts, read 597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post

People that wealthy can effectively ignore school districts. It's similar to saying that people shouldn't move to Bel Air because LAUSD sucks.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:24 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times
Most parents in Royal Oaks send their elementary & middle school students to Grace. There are alot of empty nesters in Royal Oaks too.

Someone above wondered if these parents would rather be zoned to HIDS's Westside ..... Well, if you're used to the demographics & academic standards from our top private schools, Westside High in HISD wont look much better than an Alief High School.

I went to public High School in the area & never saw anything like this video in my school. A few boys (not girls) threw some punches after a football game occasionally. But other kids weren't standing around cheering them on like wild animals.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 AM

82 posts, read 557,390 times
Quote:
I'm going to share something personal. I went to two different public high schools. The first one I went to was in a low income area and the second wasn't. I went to the first one for a year and a half before my mother realized that I was in a zoo. This video looked pretty tame in comparison to the things I used to see. It was not the type of environment that I could learn in to say the least and she almost figured this out too late, but she did and put me in private school for the second half of my sophomore year. School was always easy for me, but there was so much going on that I couldn't concentrate on academics. I used to see at least 3 fights daily at this place and that was just what I saw with my own eyes. One of my classmates even died that 2nd year in a drug deal gone bad and people were walking around wearing t-shirts in memory of him. I have so many stories I could tell about this place, but the point is, I thought this was normal. Guess what? It is NOT normal and a lot of kids, like myself at the time and you apparently don't know this.

I went to the other school for my junior and senior years and NEVER saw one single fight. Not one fight in the 2 years I was there. I'm not kidding. You walked past the principals in the hallways and they would speak to you and smile. They didn't assume you were skipping class if it was during class time. Students weren't running down the hallways in a full sprint. I thought I was in the Twilight Zone. Needless to say, I thought this was the most boring school in America at the time, but those 2 years ended up changing my life for the better. This video is not acceptable and all schools are NOT like this.

This why when I see people say that it doesn't matter what school your kids go to, I have to respectfully disagree because it mattered for me and it mattered for a lot of people that I know. Maybe some people can navigate that mess without it effecting them in any way, but don't just assume that your child will be one of them who can. If you have the ability to send them to a better school, do it. Everybody is not able though. I've seen dozens of good kids with tons of potential get enveloped by their environments. Some bounce back from it as they mature, but many others don't. If I show you ten of my best friends from 9th grade year, I can show you one police officer, one doctor, one UPS truck driver, two who still live at home with mom and use a bicycle for transportation, two gang related deaths, and three convicted felons. Only one went to college.

The mentality of these kids in some of these schools might surprise you, but I don't blame them. They learned this behavior and you do what you have to do to survive. That is human nature. Even animals live by this code, but you take these same kids at an early age and put them somewhere where teachers can focus on teaching, intelligence is looked upon as something to be proud of instead of being called a nerd and ostracized by your peers, and where they don't have to come to school prepared to defend themselves from being punched in the face or being stabbed and imagine what more they could achieve. This is why the potential for improvement is there.

Like I said, some don't have the ability to just pick up and move to a better place or get their kids into a better school. It isn't like they asked to be zoned to a "bad" school. A lot of times there are a few truly troubled kids that ruin it for the others and a lot of the other kids are just followers. I think this cold reality is what led me to the profession I'm in. I've seen both sides of the fence as a student and as a professional. I've seen "bad" schools make a complete 180 when the right leadership and staff are in place and the focus is returned to learning. These are the kids that need the most direction because lots of them get very little from home. Then they come to school and get very little there too because the staff is stressed, burnt out and fed up. Sadly, if you have the good principals that can turn the schools around, they often get promoted out and they gradually slip back down. Kids at these type of schools need good teachers, but some of the best teachers aren't equipped to deal with this type of foolish behavior. Some of those that are, just don't think it's worth the extra work, especially when there isn't strong administration in place like in the story crbcrbrgv told. I didn't see one single teacher anywhere in that video...I wonder why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston