Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:41 PM

345 posts, read 1,077,740 times

Advertisements

Hello! I've been following you guys for a few years, posted a few times and I'm finally ready to make the move. I need your advice: In two weeks I'm flying down to shop for a home. I'll be working at North Cypress Medical Center and would like to live in the Cypress-Fairbanks SD. I don't have much to spend, maybe $130,000 for a home. Any suggestions on good neighborhoods in the area and which ones I should avoid? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 10:30 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,076 times
Welcome to Cypress!

For newer homes check out Stablewood Farms and Village of Indians Springs, Cypress Mill and Villages of Cypress Lakes.

For older homes, Ravensway and Enchanted Forest, and you might find a good deal on a foreclosure in Lakewood Forest.

I would avoid anything South of 529 (and really Longenbaugh). I would avoid anything South of FM 1960.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:09 AM

I truly appreciate the advice. I hope to find something when I come down on the 11th. I've got a map in front of me and I'll be sure to avoid those places!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:58 PM

38 posts, read 113,384 times
as long as you have the job at that location should be fine. I use to have house in cypress and work downtown, sometimes took me 2 hours to get home

Old 07-02-2009, 06:20 PM

14 posts, read 39,110 times
There are some nice neighborhoods South of 529: Deerfield, Lakes of Pine Forest, Pine Forest Green. Copperfield is nice, too.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:23 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Cy-Fair has been getting a lot of bad press lately. Check out some of the comments written by CY-Fair residents at the end of the article

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/moms/6467096.html

Cy-Fair ISD to discuss funding solutions | Cy-Fair News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Money for Cy-Fair puts school official on hot seat | Cy-Fair News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 07-04-2009, 12:09 AM

Geez. Kinda disheartening about the school district and even scarier about the commute. My final interview at North Cypress is on the 13th of this month, but my chances are really good to get it. I read on the forum somewhere that it is easier to get downtown from Katy than Cypress (I was offered a position at Memorial Hermann downtown as well.) I've noticed a recent trend that Katy has a lot more homes on the market than Cypress that seem more appealing. Would it be a difficult commute from Katy to Cypress?
Thanks again for all of your advice!

Old 07-04-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmalone4 View Post
Geez. Kinda disheartening about the school district and even scarier about the commute. My final interview at North Cypress is on the 13th of this month, but my chances are really good to get it. I read on the forum somewhere that it is easier to get downtown from Katy than Cypress (I was offered a position at Memorial Hermann downtown as well.) I've noticed a recent trend that Katy has a lot more homes on the market than Cypress that seem more appealing. Would it be a difficult commute from Katy to Cypress?
Thanks again for all of your advice!
Yes, it's a much easier commute from Katy to downtown. Living in Katy and commuting to cypress isn't that bad(hell of a lot better than commuting to downtown), but remember you have a ton of cypress residents using the same roads (ie; hwy 6, Barker cypress, Fry, and Eldridge) so they can avoid that nightmare called 290.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:12 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,076 times
fyi, USC19 is a bit of a Troll. He is a transplant to the Houston area, lives in Katy and thinks its 'the bomb'. I get the feeling he doesn't know much about the Houston area communities and their various idiosyncrasies. People like to live in different areas and that's what makes the world go around.

Cy-Fair ISD is the largest Recognized school district in the State. It's reputation as one of the best school districts in the state has resulted in it being one of the fastest growing school districts in the country. In the "bad press" articles posted by USC19, you'll see that Cy-Fair residents were successful in keeping their tax exemption whereas others (including Katy) were unsuccessful and forced to pay. Much of the criticism in those articles stems from the fact Cy-Fair builds palatial school campuses and stadium facilities. Any other criticism about the district usually comes from problem areas of the district over in Katy (South of 529) not Cypress.

Now if you're going to be working at North Cypress Medical Center, you're going to have a ton of good options nearby in North Cypress and South Cypress. There are at least 2-3 new hospitals planned for the 290 area (Christus, Memorial Hermann and another), and several on nearby Hwy 249.

As a lifelong Houston resident, I know most of this city and surrounding suburbs. There are good parts all over and a handful of great parts, this is one of them. Having seen the best of what both Cypress and Katy have to offer, IMO there's no part of Katy that's nicer than the North Cypress area around Longwood/Coles Crossing/Northlake Forest/Lakewood Oaks Estates area. It's combination of big trees and green forests, Exemplary schools, great demographics and low crime make it very desirable - even for those who work far away and could live anywhere (the CEO's of Dynegy, Sterling Bank and others live here). You'd be fortunate to be able to live and work in this area.

Good luck with the home search!
Welcome to Texas.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 07-04-2009 at 11:09 AM..

Old 07-04-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
fyi, USC19 is a bit of a Troll. He is a transplant to the Houston area, lives in Katy and thinks its 'the bomb'. I get the feeling he doesn't know much about the Houston area communities and their various idiosyncrasies. People like to live in different areas and that's what makes the world go around.
FYI; Miss Football is a bit of a pu$$ who likes to take every shot a Katy for some reason, I just like to give her some of her own medicine. The only differences is I'll put facts out and she writes her own bias opinion.

BTW; I don't think katy is the bomb, but I do think it is better than it Cypress. fyi; As far as suburbs go, I'll be the first to say Sugarland and The Woodlands are the top suburbs in the Houston metro.

Have a happy 4th. and good luck to your house hunting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston