Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 04:26 PM

8 posts, read 12,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Yep - you didn't address the school ratings. Probably the #1 reason why people move to suburbs - they have kids, and are looking for good schools.

I think Park Lakes looks like a very nice community. They have beautiful homes, and I'm sure it's a great community. All I said is that I would recommend other communities in the area before recommending that one (for reasons I stated).
I didn't address the school ratings because it isn't one of my chief concerns and NEVER was. I can't give a review or an opinion about schools in the area when it isn't something I based my community decision off of. We don't have children and if we did have children; public school probably wouldn't be the best option for us. We're not too fond of a yearly curriculum based around a state test. I'm sure Park Lakes Elem, Humble MS and Summer Creek HS aren't terribly bad schools considering they're part of the "highly-regarded" Humble School District. Most people move into neighborhoods because they are safe and an exemplary school is a plus. At the end of the day, your child's education starts at home. You can't depend on your child's school to make them great students. I also recommended Park Lakes for the reasons I stated, but you seemed to be appalled because I recommended the community that I live in. I never once said PL was the best neighborhood in HAK, but I stand by my claim that this is a great family community. The affordability of the homes and the great amenities is also a plus. At the end of the day, it's up to the potential homeowner to make the decision on which community is best for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 11:02 AM

467 posts, read 777,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native_houstonian View Post
I can seriously promote this community because I LIVE here. I wouldn't promote a community or communities that I don't live in or pay HOA fees to. Nor would I warn against a community I don't or haven't lived in myself.
to say someone can't have an opinion about an area because they don't live there is obtuse at best.

we all know the areas that you should avoid around town, and it does not mean we have to live there to understand that. I am involved in houston real estate development and can tell you eagle springs or fall creek is a much better choice than park lakes.

did you know some home builders in park lakes have gone 12 months without a sale?

now ask yourself why?

Old 11-12-2013, 09:31 PM

8 posts, read 12,911 times
?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1153 View Post
to say someone can't have an opinion about an area because they don't live there is obtuse at best.

we all know the areas that you should avoid around town, and it does not mean we have to live there to understand that. I am involved in houston real estate development and can tell you eagle springs or fall creek is a much better choice than park lakes.

did you know some home builders in park lakes have gone 12 months without a sale?

now ask yourself why?

To tell someone to stay away from Park Lakes simply because it's closer to a landfill or not even offering a legitimate reasoning behind it is obsurd to say the least. People base their opinions based on what they see or hearsay and don't even live in the community to offer a truly honest opinion. It's truly unfortunate you feel like me saying you shouldn't have an opinion is obtuse.

We all know the areas to avoid around town because they are deemed unsafe. Would I move anywhere near Homestead Rd or Aldine? No.

It's wonderful you are involved in Houston real estate, but not all agents know their stuff. I'm just sayin'...

Eagle Springs is a wonderful community, but horribly located for downtown commuters or anyone who doesn't work in the area. Fall Creek is also a great community, yet you probably wont get as much home for the price you would in PL. We have pretty steep HOA fees, but their's is outrageous. You can dispute and blame it all on the Atascocita landfill like everyone does, but there are two plots of forest and a bayou that divide it from PL (not to mention you can't even see it or smell it from the community). There are about four communities that are within the vicinity and are in view of the mound. Park Lakes isn't one of them.

Considering the community has six builders and homes are built and occupied in each builders deisgnated area, I find your "facts" to be incorrect. Then again, I work in dentistry; so homes being built that aren't my own are truly no concern of mine.

Everyone has their opinion. There are opinions from people who live in the community and from those who don't. As a former potential homeowner, a review or opinion from an actual resident would trump any other. Research and visit the neighborhood you're looking into before buying. The only thing I would really love to change in our neighborhood is the Wal-Mart. I can live with everything else...

Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 AM

672 posts, read 846,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native_houstonian View Post
I realize this discussion is a few years old, but I figured I would chime in. There is bound to be some potential homeowner looking for a recent review right? My partner and I moved into the non-gated enclave of Park Lakes a year ago. We really enjoy living here and have no major complaints about the community itself . We live in a Perry Home and the quality of our home is absolutely phenomenal! Our home was built in 2005, but most of our friends assumed the house was new construction at our house warming. The majority of the residents take pride in the appearances of their yards and homes which speaks volumes about any community. Convenient access to BW8 & 59 is a plus because we both work closer into town. This is a family community and driving down the main drag of the community on any given evening will reflect that. Most people will sway you to the bigger master-planned communities, and these are probably people who don't even live in those "great" communities, but somehow become advocates for them. But in all respects, to each his own.

Pros:
•beautiful lakes/green space/jogging trails
•master-planned with wonderful amenities
•convenient access to BW8 & 59/IAH
•quick commute to downtown
•family community
•neighbors who care
•decent retail stores

Cons:
•a portion of our HOA dues go towards a golf course located in our sister community in Cypress
•POSSIBLE negative effects of the Atascocita landfill
•Wal-Mart!!!
•tree additions would be nice to mature with the fairly new community
•needs street lights on the main drag of non-gated side (Canyon Village Trace Dr.)
•lack of healthy eating establishments in the area
•nearest Kroger or H-E-B are about ten-fifteen minutes away
There's a Kroger that's MAYBE 5 minutes away on Atascocita Road.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,298 times
I live in Canyon Gate Estates and never notice the dump. That seemed to be an oversight in our decision making though. It is very quite and no thru traffic per the guard station. We did however pay above $300's for our home- it has everything. We wanted and waterfront. There are no abandon houses and we have driven thru every street in our gated side. Everyone keeps up the house and yard for the most part. Easy access to beltway 8. Summerwood is lovely but if we moved there we would have been in the far back end of it. As for Eagle Springs- we loved but it is built out and the inventory are once again too far back and smaller homes and lots.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,298 times
There have been plenty of sales in this area. You search har and speak with realtors and it is pretty much selling itself bases in pricing and presentation.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,348 times
ok so it's been a year or so since someone commented on this but I'm looking to move into the area, is everything they say about parks lake still bad? I'm considering there, Waters Edge, or Summerwood

Old 06-03-2015, 06:01 AM

189 posts, read 224,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearchofahome View Post
ok so it's been a year or so since someone commented on this but I'm looking to move into the area, is everything they say about parks lake still bad? I'm considering there, Waters Edge, or Summerwood
I'd say Summerwood or Water's Edge would be better than Canyon Gate.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:32 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearchofahome View Post
I would say for resale value and schools, pick waters edge or summerwoood.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:12 PM

153 posts, read 325,708 times
Pick summerwood. My brother stay in lakeshore and I drive by water edge all the time. The entrance is nice, but they are still building. Summerwood is older, and it looks nicer to me. All of the trees and the two man made lakes with the ducks. I love watching families taking their little kids out and feeding the ducks and their little ducklings. Just good family time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston