Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:37 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,351,858 times

Advertisements

Hi -

Looking at a first visit to the Pavilion for a concert this summer...likely will get a "four pack" of lawn tickets.

Assuming it's a nice evening (weather wise) -- is the lawn just as decent as paying $$$ for the seats in the tent? How is the sound out on the lawn? Any "strategies" for where to throw a blanket (or rent a lawn chair, I've heard?) How much time do you need to allow for parking/walking over there, etc.

Advisable to pack a bite and skip the concessions or are they not a huge and $$ hassle?

And of course...are there ample/decent portable johns in the lawn area??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,580,004 times
Last time I was there was years ago and I was in the pit. I've actually never sat in the lawn there.

It's a big corporate outdoor ampitheater like eight or nine dozen others in the country and eating there is expensive just like at any major sports stadium or something comparable. I'd eat something before, somewhere else, if money's an issue. Or after, better yet, and you might not have to worry about the lines at the john.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,709,694 times
I went there for a Sting concert a few years back and had blisters on my heels from the longest walk from the parking lot to the concert! From our parking area we walked through wooded trails, over a lake and around a field near some restaurants, I wasn't a happy camper! They sold wine, beer & sodas with your typical concession junk food, the prices were typical. Our tickets were in the seats........all in all it was a nice place for a concert!

Old 05-19-2009, 12:50 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,293,686 times
I do not think you can bring in food or drinks. They rent low chairs to sit on or you can bring a blanket. If it has rained with in the last 48 hours bring a tarp / trash bags or your blanket will soak thru and get your pants wet. Trust me on this
The restrooms are under the hill.
quick 5 min or less walk.
sound is good beer is expensive.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:50 PM

809 posts, read 3,571,819 times
Seats are closer than the lawn and I believe some or all of the seats are covered. The nice thing about the seats is you have an assigned seat and don't have to get there early to get a good spot on the lawn. If you go for the lawn, I'd suggest being in line at the gate when the gates open if you want to get a good spot.

Renting lawn chairs is nice. I believe they are $5 or $10 each.

You cannot bring food or drinks in the concert. They will search your bag and I've seen them have people even unfold their blankets to ensure there is nothing in there.

I don't recall ever using the bathroom there, but I think they actually have a permanent structure with bathrooms, so there aren't port-a-potties. I could be wrong.

The walk from the parking areas to the pavillion is a bit of a hike. I'd suggest allowing 15 minutes for the walk. Can't give a guess on the amount of time to find a spot. It shouldn't be too bad if you get there early.

If you have a group of 4 going, you could always drop off 2 or 3 people in front and park the car. They can claim a spot on the lawn and rent the chairs while the driver parks and walks over.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:57 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,511,321 times
Buggy and Hot. Parking is a mile away.
I prefer the Air Conditioned venues without the Pain in the A** drive to it.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:05 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,580,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Pretty much. Driving and parking there sucks.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:11 PM

407 posts, read 1,737,239 times
Has anyone been since they opened the remodeled facility a few weeks ago? It sounds nice with a lot more seats under cover.
Quote:
The renovation includes construction of approximately 2,000 new reserved seats behind the existing uncovered seating area and building a larger canopy structure to cover all 6,500 seats
I was also at the Sting concert a few years back! It was great but everyone I was with thought Annie Lennox was better than Sting.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:44 PM

551 posts, read 1,575,185 times
We go about 6 times a year. My friend went for the Buzz fest last weekend and said it is even better than ever. The new canopy is quite a bit bigger than the last one(that Ike took down) and offers more covered seating than it used to.

I prefer lawn seats myself. I sat in covered assigned seating once and you have the same problem that you have in other venues. People stand up and then you cannot see. On the lawn that is not much of a problem because there are two big screens plus it is easier to just readjust your body and move a little. Sound is good on the lawn also. I would bring a blanket to sit on and show up when the gates open to be able to pick a good spot. Also, do not leave any space right in front of you. If you leave even a 12 inch by 12 inch spot those people that wait until the last minute to come will plop right down in front of you and give you less space than you had before.

As fas as food, the offer some Chili's choices and pizza and have good drinks but they are pricey. Hubby and I usually split something to eat and have a drink a piece. That will run you $20. Parking can be a long walk; the earlier you get there you can usually get the closest lot and will therefore have less walking to do. There are 2 main entrances. I find the one by the Woodlands mall to be much less crowded as far as getting in than the other.

I was there last in the Fall and there were no potties in the lawn area but it is not a long walk to the nearest bathrooms. Hope that helps. Have fun!

Old 05-19-2009, 02:17 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,351,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

Me too, I admit...but if it were a day (or evening) like today it would be decent, I think. Altho I am looking at a July concert...

Will they let you bring in bug spray???

Is there any good alternative drive up from Sugar Land that is slightly less of a pain in the posterior? Or is everyone on the same road or two anyway?

Thanks again all for the input!

P.S. to Jfre81....okay, I'll play: WTH is your status line????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston