Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
i was talking about like on a friday or saturday night
Unless you have a bunch of money to spend on a sitter, when you have young children, Friday and Saturday nights are not that different from other nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:02 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Where does Katy compare to Sugar Land and The Woodlands?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:06 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
I'd have to say Sugar Land blows them both away. Sugar Land is one of the greatest suburbs in the United States. And this is coming from your favorite anti-suburban poster.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I'd have to say Sugar Land blows them both away. Sugar Land is one of the greatest suburbs in the United States. And this is coming from your favorite anti-suburban poster.
It is but the scary thing is that if you go like 2 miles north of SL. You go into one of the most dangerous places in Houston. Why is that?

Why does also the landscape changes suddenly?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:05 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
It is but the scary thing is that if you go like 2 miles north of SL. You go into one of the most dangerous places in Houston. Why is that?
What are you talking about, Alief? That's more east - and several miles north of Meadows Place / Stafford rather. It's sandwiched between that and Westside/Westchase/77077 on the north. Maybe that's why some people still hold out hope for it.

Several miles north of Sugar Land is Mission Bend and West Oaks. Not awesome, but not terrible either. And now Aliana is creeping up on it. We often drive north when we have sitters to go to Alamo Drafthouse @ West Oaks. Then north of that you have George Bush Park and the eastern portion of South Katy.

Quote:
County line? Just a guess since I don't know exactly where you're talking about...

Old 07-21-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
What are you talking about, Alief? That's more east - and several miles north of Meadows Place / Stafford rather. It's sandwiched between that and Westside/Westchase/77077 on the north. Maybe that's why some people still hold out hope for it.

Several miles north of Sugar Land is Mission Bend and West Oaks. Not awesome, but not terrible either. And now Aliana is creeping up on it. We often drive north when we have sitters to go to Alamo Drafthouse @ West Oaks. Then north of that you have George Bush Park and the eastern portion of South Katy.

County line? Just a guess since I don't know exactly where you're talking about...
Along 59N. The difference between SW Houston and Sugar Land is 2 exits. Sugar Land is not far from 59 and Fondren.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:35 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Along 59N. The difference between SW Houston and Sugar Land is 2 exits. Sugar Land is not far from 59 and Fondren.
Depends what part of Sugar Land you are talking about but from Fondren and 59 to US90 and 59 is <10 miles so it is somewhat far.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:10 AM

848 posts, read 2,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I think in some ways, the Woodlands actually has a more interesting layout than Sugar Land. I'm not a suburban type either but I think both blow away Katy.

And I like the Woodlands' good proximity to Old Town Spring. It's a nice old-Mayberry counterpoint to the more hyper-modern Woodlands Waterway.

There's something about Katy that I really, really dislike even if my aunts and uncle live there. But the people there aren't too bad.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Hwy 59 @ Fondren is the heart of Sharpstown. That's actually closer to Bellaire than to Sugar Land if you look at a map. The proximity doesn't seem to drag either down too much. Then again, Bellaire is also its own city. Another example of a bad area sandwiched between at least two good ones, probably why people hold out hope for its revitalization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
I think in some ways, the Woodlands actually has a more interesting layout than Sugar Land. I'm not a suburban type either but I think both blow away Katy.
And I like the Woodlands' good proximity to Old Town Spring. It's a nice old-Mayberry counterpoint to the more hyper-modern Woodlands Waterway.
I agree, I don't think I'd quite say Sugar Land "blows away" the Woodlands. For me Sugar Land is better because it's 10-15 miles closer to downtown Houston than the Woodlands is, and because the areas of Houston I most often frequent (Museum District for leisure, Uptown for shopping and Medical Center for work) are actually southwest of downtown... so Sugar Land is a better located suburb for access to those. I also like that Sugar Land is an incorporated city... I'd give it a good edge over the Woodlands, but hesitate to go further than that.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:11 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:

Alief really isn't all that bad. Neither is Fondren Southwest. If you want dangerous, go to neighborhoods on the southeast side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston