Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:30 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,841,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanewidick View Post
What golf courses in the Sugar Land/Houston area are decent, and somewhat affordable? Thanks!
Herman Park comes to mind for an after-work round. Its a bit on the short side and fairly basic, but a fun little course with an easy $45 green fee w/ cart.

One of my favorite courses is actually River Terrace on Wallisville road. The twilight fee is (or was) $15.00. The course is close to some refineries and several of the O.B. markers are barbed wire fences, the fairways and greens are not always in the best condition, but the course is genuinely fun and it poses a nice challenge on some holes, eagle opportunities on others. Head East on I-10 to the Beltway, take the Belt North to Wallisville road, Head east on Wallisville for about 2 miles, the parking lot will be on your left.

Gus Wortham is an easy drive and an easy green fee. I haven't been there in a long time, the course was supposedly going to be re-done but I don't know if that plan ever got off the ground.

Wildcat is a fun, challenging course but I wouldn't exactly call it cheap.

Memorial is a nice course but getting the tee-time you want is a pain and the green fee is getting up there for my taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 PM

455 posts, read 1,588,581 times
Greatwood is in terrible condition. I won't go back, that's for sure. Honestly would be better to putt on the fairways, since they are the only decently conditioned part of the course. The layout is fairly easy, but you could never walk this course...probably a 8-9 mile walk. Anyways, just my .02, but definately not worth the $35. I wouldn't play it again for free.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:20 PM

2,629 posts, read 8,850,188 times
This may not count as real convenient, but Northgate Forest on the north side used to run different kinds of membership specials which made is pretty reasonable. I have no idea if they still do or if the course is considered good or what. They used to run special deals if you were either under 40 or over 65 and odd things like that.

Northgate Country Club - Home

Old 05-06-2009, 10:22 AM

614 posts, read 1,240,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane_change View Post
Greatwood is in terrible condition. I won't go back, that's for sure. Honestly would be better to putt on the fairways, since they are the only decently conditioned part of the course. The layout is fairly easy, but you could never walk this course...probably a 8-9 mile walk. Anyways, just my .02, but definately not worth the $35. I wouldn't play it again for free.
Thanks for the update on greatwood. I'm surprised yet not too surprised by the condition. I always thought they charged too much for their green fees. I guess it's biting them in the a$$ as it seems that they are not getting enough revenue to keep up the condition. Did you complain or at least tell the pro shop? Curious in what they would say.

I did notice them lowering their prices cause before, it was never $35 on weekdays. Looks like it's too late.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:48 PM

No problem on Greatwood. A friend of mine told me not to go when I mentioned my tee time to him, but I wanted to see for myself. He can be rather picky, but he was most definately not mistaken about that one.

Has anyone played River Ridge GC out West by Sealy? I am debating playing there next. I want to try out some new courses around Houston. So far I am still a fan of Timbercreek for regular weekend play, Southwyck for cheap weekday play, and Redstone for expensive once in a while play. I need to try more courses out for sure. Anyone else up for playing new courses, meeting new people? I am still somewhat new to Houston, just over 2 years. Be nice to know more people who I can call on for a possible round every now and then.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:14 PM

614 posts, read 1,240,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane_change View Post
No problem on Greatwood. A friend of mine told me not to go when I mentioned my tee time to him, but I wanted to see for myself. He can be rather picky, but he was most definately not mistaken about that one.

Has anyone played River Ridge GC out West by Sealy? I am debating playing there next. I want to try out some new courses around Houston. So far I am still a fan of Timbercreek for regular weekend play, Southwyck for cheap weekday play, and Redstone for expensive once in a while play. I need to try more courses out for sure. Anyone else up for playing new courses, meeting new people? I am still somewhat new to Houston, just over 2 years. Be nice to know more people who I can call on for a possible round every now and then.
River Ridge out in Sealy is a great course. If you asked me 1-2 years ago, I would have told you it was my favorite course in Houston. However lately, the condition has gone down a tad but, still a very good course. I would have to drop it down my list a little. I just think most courses are hurting for revenue with the economy and all. I would definitely recommend it if you can get a discount on tee times. I think the regular rate is around $60.

But just to guage my pickiness, I like Timber Creek as well but I believe their faiways are getting a little hardpan in the last year. Wouldn't you agree? Now Magnolia Creek, I would rate as better than Timber Creek.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:30 PM

I believe that the fairways on the Timbertrails 9 are hard as a rock. I seldom play that portion of the course, normally I am on Creekside and The Pines, but yes, I can agree that their fairways are a bit tough for my liking. But their course management is simply amazing. I have never had to wait, never been backed up on a tee box, etc...

I have never played Magnolia Creek, but I was looking to play there in the next few weeks ironically. A friend of mine said he used to play tournaments up there and invited me to go join him one of these days.

Since I am moving to Katy, that is why I am interested in playing River Ridge, since it will be closer to me than Timbercreek. I also need to find a new "home" course to play often since I use Southwyck for that right now since it is less than 5 min from my house. In Katy, there are alot of houses, but not alot of courses...Cinco is ok, but not a fantastic course, and is kind of expensive for random bored weekday afternoon golf. Anyone know some decent affordable courses out near Katy that are pretty easy to get off at on a whim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston