Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 01:43 PM

11 posts, read 24,575 times

Advertisements

...and what is it specifically that makes Houston a better place for a start-up vs. other cities?

I am seriously considering a relo to Houston and will be starting a business. No need to purchase/lease office space or the like. My chosen field allows me to have a home office.

I'm only interested in facts, not hearsay.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 03:07 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
who told you its a good place for entrepreneurs? maybe that article is refering to something in particular. I dont see really anything special about houston. A friend of mine makes good money in Phoenix installing blinds - you can do that here too.
you can make a killing here selling drugs because its quite a boring place. in fact you can probably have a good business providing entertainment of any sort because that is really lacking - theres your reason.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:20 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
who told you its a good place for entrepreneurs? maybe that article is refering to something in particular. I dont see really anything special about houston. A friend of mine makes good money in Phoenix installing blinds - you can do that here too.
you can make a killing here selling drugs because its quite a boring place. in fact you can probably have a good business providing entertainment of any sort because that is really lacking - theres your reason.
Sucks you can't find any good entertainment in a metro of 5.5 million. Personally, I don't see how that's possible but you managed to do it I guess.

Back to the OP: low costs and low regulations are why Houston is a good entrepreneurial city.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:53 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
All off-topic replies have been deleted, so we're gonna try this again. If you can't answer the OP's question, please click to another thread and refrain from responding at all.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:06 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
you can make a killing here selling drugs because its quite a boring place.
You can even do that in NYC I guess it's boring too.

Everyone's favorite subject - lack of traditional zoning - can make it where you can start a business right out of your own home, actually using your home as the business. That's pretty entrepreneurial IMO.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:01 PM

49 posts, read 121,365 times
it lacks urban planning, u can build wherever u like, cant think of anything else.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:49 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Unfortunately I can't remember the stats but during poli-sci studies at UST, one of the liberal arts courses was on Houston (city government, politics, finances, etc) and was quite interesting. And (like I said - don't remember the stats) it has more successful small and mid-size starts ups who make it long-term than almost anywhere else for those who are willing to work hard. Of course, common sense would apply too - location, financial soundness, good decision-making, etc. I'll see if I can find any of my old course documentation and if I do, I will post it.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
There's a strong community for support of tech start-ups, seem to be centered around the Houston Technology Center, which is an awesome place. There's a big group of technology related entrepreneurs that Twitter and have regular Tweetups, barcamps, venture capital meetings...all kinds of things.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 AM

912 posts, read 2,556,266 times
Houston is sick with money compared to a lot of places in the US and the rest of the world.

Not just rich people but a large number of what I presume are rather feckless people who don't mind paying $20 to have someone abuse, I mean park their car for them. Likewise minor yard work, scratching their behinds etc etc.

Cater for the worst aspects of human nature and I predict any business start up will do well in Houston (assuming of course one of the other exploiters doesn't come round with a baseball bat* and break your legs for muscling in on their turf)

*you can substitute lawyer and court case here in some cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: