Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:10 PM

18 posts, read 37,462 times

Advertisements

I plan to move June, 28th my husband put in his notice today. He works at the Salvation Army as a manager. He told them his last day has to be the june 25th. They were really nice about it and offered to put in a good word about him to help him transfer in houston. Im so scared nothing will be avalible for him and we will be jobless there. He has 5 years experiance in retail managment. Im sure he could find somthing. The thing is we have three kids ages 1,6,4. We will have about $7,000.00 saved to pay for moving costs, rent and food. We are putting our two houses up for short sale. Im risking so much but im living dollar by dollar and my houses are so upside down its not funny. Im looking for a change. I've always loved houston. I used to live there and I would visit my aunt there every yearr for vacation. Im 27 and my husband is 29. He is a dj on side. I think he would do better there than here.Im not expecting happiness over night but I love some input on if I'm crazy for doing this or what. PLEASE HELP! INSPIRE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 07:37 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,030,342 times
Moderator cut: unnecessary Maybe 2 yrs ago, but with the economy like this in the ****ter. Good luck because you'll need it.

Also you have kids so this could be a a huge mistake.

Last edited by houstoner; 03-11-2009 at 08:11 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,836,288 times
I would see if there are any positions open with the Salvation Army here that he could transfer to. The economy is not great, but Houston is still doing better than a lot of places.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:49 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,831,614 times
Well, a general rule of thumb is that it can take a month of job search for every $10K of annual income you want to earn, and that's in a normal job market, not a recessionary job market. One concern is that you will run out of money because you will likely go through all the $7K just to pay moving expenses and then how will you pay rent, food, etc.?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:56 PM

809 posts, read 3,571,018 times
I'd have a job lined up before I quit a job and make a move like that. I'd be afraid that with 2 short sales on my credit and no job, it would be hard to qualify for an apartment.
Good luck to you.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:21 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,292,292 times
Very risky with children involved. Maybe one of you could come down and line up a job beforehand. Then you might qualify for an apartment (maybe)... with two foreclosures you may end up in a terrible apartment complex that is not as selective about it's occupants.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:23 AM

38 posts, read 93,564 times
If your husband has a job, then you may be okay. I am in the mortgage biz and I am moving to Houston. I know that the market in your area is not good. Just do your reasearch as you have time with June being a few months away. Save as much as you can. I have a foreclosure, too. You know how many people do? Houston hasn't been hit as hard so not all are aware. But, I am working with a great agent in Houston that is helping me get a rental home. The thing is you have to have jobs and income to qualify for rentals as they have to know you can afford the payment. You also have to anticipate they may want a higher deposit down to reduce the higher risk of your credit. You have to plan it out right for it to make sense. Keep your options open. Jobs are the key to making it work though along with as much funds as possible! Good luck!

Old 03-12-2009, 10:48 AM

18 posts, read 37,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhawkeye View Post
If your husband has a job, then you may be okay. I am in the mortgage biz and I am moving to Houston. I know that the market in your area is not good. Just do your reasearch as you have time with June being a few months away. Save as much as you can. I have a foreclosure, too. You know how many people do? Houston hasn't been hit as hard so not all are aware. But, I am working with a great agent in Houston that is helping me get a rental home. The thing is you have to have jobs and income to qualify for rentals as they have to know you can afford the payment. You also have to anticipate they may want a higher deposit down to reduce the higher risk of your credit. You have to plan it out right for it to make sense. Keep your options open. Jobs are the key to making it work though along with as much funds as possible! Good luck!
Thanks for the input. I didnt include in my post that I already have a house there that I am renting for 825.00 a month. He is my aunts friend so luckly I'm good there and my husbands boss is working on getting him a transfer because they love him. Im almost 100% sure he'll get a transfer.
Im more scared about not knowing if we'll love it there. We wont have any friends but my mom lives there and she can babysit somtimes so we can get out. Im am so excited but I hate hearing that it might be a mistake. I grew up in houston then had to move to michigan in 3rd grade because my mom broke her leg and couldnt work. Her paents live in Michigan. Now were all coming back risky or not.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 AM

363 posts, read 1,146,790 times
Quote:
Now were all coming back risky or not.
Well then it is what it is.....

Since you have kids, it will probably be easier for you to meet people....through school, church etc. You will love the Houston winters! Good luck and I hope it all works out well for you and your family.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:57 AM

38 posts, read 93,564 times
I am in Minneapolis and we visited Houston last week. as long as you can adapt to the traffic and crazy drivers, and take the summer heat...it is beautiful! Palm trees, orange trees and WONDERFUL summer weather. Michigan is a tough state right now. Think positive and be positive and there is much to love!! The kids will like the neighborhood pools!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston