Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:59 PM

21 posts, read 25,350 times

Advertisements

So me and my boyfriend will be moving to H-Town from the miserable depressing state of Michigan in May 2014. We just have a few questions/concerns before we arrive !!! All responses and input are appreciated

1) I found an apartment complex that I really like on Rent.com in my price range ($600 for a 1 bedroom) which is located in the Greenspoint neighborhood of Houston. After doing some research I found out that Greenspoint is not considered a very good area, but we are coming from Flint MI which is known for being on the top 5 for most dangerous cities in America. Not saying that I want to live in a crime-ridden area, but I am more tolerable of places that some people would not consider moving to. The apartments are called "300 North Vista". Has anyone ever been to these apartments or the surrounding area? What's it like over there? It looks really pretty to me ... the buildings look nice inside and out and there are lots of palm trees lol. If this area is not a good area for us, what would you suggest?

2) We will be moving with about $6,000 saved up to hold us over until we can find decent jobs. I have a background working in restaurants, a factory, and a law office as a legal assistant. My boyfriend has the same experience as me, except the legal assistant job. If we are adamant and persistent, can we expect to find employment quickly when we move? I was also thinking about looking for a job as a leasing consultant at an apartment complex.

3) The humidity !!! Our summers here in Michigan are pretty humid because we are surrounded by the great lakes, but I heard Houston is much worse. I wear makeup just about every day ... will it melt off my face when I go outside? If I style my hair, will it fall flat when I go out?

4) Me and my boyfriend are a young interracial couple. He's black & I'm white and we will both be 24 by the time we move. Will we be accepted by people down there? In Michigan we have never had any issues or any rude remarks thrown at us. Interracial relationships and marriages are common here.

5) How to meet people when we get there? We don't know anybody in Houston !!! Your answers and advice are appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 08:50 PM

433 posts, read 663,638 times
I don't know. Houston doesn't have to many minorities so the interracial thing might be an issue haha!!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:03 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,189,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo45 View Post
I don't know. Houston doesn't have to many minorities so the interracial thing might be an issue haha!!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:08 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,189,082 times
Greenspoint is kinda like southwest houston too many crappy apartments that are a breeding ground for crime. I would advise you to have a Kobe before moving here. Yes it's gets very hot and humid during the summers, it will probably get some use to you'll being from up north. Houston is a very diverse city, most people wont care that you're a interracial couple with bi racial kids.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:32 PM

594 posts, read 1,254,940 times
Greenspoint is not so great- of course, I used to work in a building in Greenspoint that has been shot at. I'd look elsewhere or maybe find something temporary until you can actually BE here and see what you are getting into.

I really don't know what to tell you regarding finding work. I always found work prior to moving, though I know that is hard when you are so far away.

Yes, the humidity is pretty bad. I don't wear foundation so I can't tell you about melt. Mascara and lip color do not melt off my face though. My hair gets bigger with the humidity so it probably depends on your hair.

Not many people will even blink at the fact that you're in an interracial relationship.

I met people through work, through friends of friends, just by being friendly and meeting people while out and about. There are some meet up groups online that plan outings to various places in town- you could try some of those. I never got around to going to any of those but I know they are popular.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:57 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,008,784 times
1. The Greenspoint area is known as "Gunspoint" around here; I wouldn't recommend considering it to be a long-term home. The west side of Houston is most prosperous. Houston is defined by two circular highway systems - Loop 610 and Beltway 8. Do some research on "inner loop", "outer loop" and "outer beltway" areas.

2. Houston has many, many restaurants. If you're looking for restaurant work, I doubt you'll have any problems finding employment.

3. 40-50% humidity is "low" around here. Summers (July through September) will be 90%. Be prepared with an air-conditioned car or you'll be miserable. Your makeup won't melt, but you might.

4. Houston is very diverse. Ignore any ignoramus who makes a disparaging comment; they will be few and far between.

5. Be friendly. Houston folks are generally friendly - many are from other parts of the country. You'll most likely find other folks from Michigan here.

When you get here in May, it will be warm. Look forward to October for cooler weather. Don't expect to see any color change in the trees come fall. Your kids will be able to play outside with their Christmas presents - bicycles and skateboards are big here. January - no snow - 68F for a high today.

Welcome!

Old 01-19-2014, 06:46 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,836,378 times
It will be difficult to rent without having jobs lined up first.

You may want to consider living in an extended stay for a month while you find jobs. I'd recommend staying at an extended stay near Montrose so that you can get a feel for the inner loop. There's one at Hwy 59 and Greenbriar.

If you move out to Greenspoint you're going to have a very, very narrow view of Houston and it most likely won't be very good.

There's lots of restaurants around Montrose to look for work. You probably won't find much (if anything) for $600 in the "better" areas like Montrose or the Heights - but you may find an older complex in Montrose or the Heights but you'll probably have to really look and may not find anything. Raising your budget to $1000 will really open up your options.

Here's a link to a complex in Midtown that is affordable (under $700 all bills paid) - read the comments at the end of the article: Taking on a Rough Midtown Trio | Swamplot

It does get hot in the summer but the weather is really nice November - April or so.

Interracial couple - no worries.

Last edited by txdemo; 01-19-2014 at 07:05 AM..

Old 01-19-2014, 08:43 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,717,260 times
So me and my boyfriend will be moving to H-Town from the miserable depressing state of Michigan in May 2014. We just have a few questions/concerns before we arrive !!! All responses and input are appreciated

1) I found an apartment complex that I really like on Rent.com in my price range ($600 for a 1 bedroom) which is located in the Greenspoint neighborhood of Houston. After doing some research I found out that Greenspoint is not considered a very good area, but we are coming from Flint MI which is known for being on the top 5 for most dangerous cities in America. Not saying that I want to live in a crime-ridden area, but I am more tolerable of places that some people would not consider moving to. The apartments are called "300 North Vista". Has anyone ever been to these apartments or the surrounding area? What's it like over there? It looks really pretty to me ... the buildings look nice inside and out and there are lots of palm trees lol. If this area is not a good area for us, what would you suggest?

Not a very good area is an understatement. There are no free lunches. Apartment prices in Houston have flown up over the past few years. You need to spend 800-1000 to be in a safe area. You can find small complex scattered about the Montrose area that are cheaper. You have to look on craigslist. I would take a peak at the Plantation Apartments in the Galleria. I can tell you in that price range the complex will be dangerous.

2) We will be moving with about $6,000 saved up to hold us over until we can find decent jobs. I have a background working in restaurants, a factory, and a law office as a legal assistant. My boyfriend has the same experience as me, except the legal assistant job. If we are adamant and persistent, can we expect to find employment quickly when we move? I was also thinking about looking for a job as a leasing consultant at an apartment complex.

I have no earthly idea. I am sure you can find a server job. We don't really have any factories.

3) The humidity !!! Our summers here in Michigan are pretty humid because we are surrounded by the great lakes, but I heard Houston is much worse. I wear makeup just about every day ... will it melt off my face when I go outside? If I style my hair, will it fall flat when I go out?

We have lots of humidity here. I doubt it is much worse than where you are. Your face will not melt off. Girls do have problems with frizz or whatever they call it. You adjust. Houston summers are fun. Pool parties non stop.

4) Me and my boyfriend are a young interracial couple. He's black & I'm white and we will both be 24 by the time we move. Will we be accepted by people down there? In Michigan we have never had any issues or any rude remarks thrown at us. Interracial relationships and marriages are common here.

In the city this is no big deal. I know quite a few of interracial couples. In the suburbs that is a different story.

5) How to meet people when we get there? We don't know anybody in Houston !!! Your answers and advice are appreciated

The best way I can suggest is Houston Sports and Social Club, Club Monkey, and Waka Kick Ball. All are sports groups. They all have mixers and it is the best way to meet lots of people. The other way is to do charity work. They also have lots of fund raising mixers and projects. Great way to network.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:47 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,792,294 times
I work in Greenspoint, there are a lot of office complexes there, and it's not as bad as some people make it out to be but it is a higher crime area and not somewhere I would recommend as my first choice of places to live.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:16 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,901,743 times
Also, for meeting people, you might consider volunteering at one of the many non-profit animal shelters or animal rescue groups. That's how I've made almost all of my close friends over the last decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston