Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:24 AM

16 posts, read 37,175 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I just wanted to share my excitement - maybe I'm over-hyped - about visiting Houston for the first time. I depart DC this evening and will be there through Sunday evening. Is that enough time?
I want to check out the downtown, midtown, West University and Galleria areas in general and suburb communities like Sugarland, West Pearland and Sienna Plantation.
Does anyone know if 77057, 77036 and 77025 are good areas and if they're zoned to good schools?? I probably don't have to worry about schools yet since our son is only 3 months old but that time will be here before I know it!
Finally, any suggestions on areas I should visit? I want to check out any happening areas - I will be with a buddy who lives in the clearlake area but I do not want to spend any time in the clearlake area! I like cosmopolitan areas with hustle, bustle and nightlife as well as good restaurants.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 08:26 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,293,046 times
77057 is a very good area but very expensive. Briargrove and Tanglewood are the main neighborhoods in this zip

Old 03-06-2009, 08:28 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,507,676 times
77057 in in HISD. But it's Grade school is excellent.High School ranked one of the highes in the country (Lamar) and it's middle school is making a comback after some rezoning. Very expensive part of the city to own a home in though.

77036 is propbably one of the WORST parts of town. Public school wouldn't be an option in my book.

77025 is a mixed of both worlds. Very good and not so great along the major roads and around apartment areas.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:22 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,582,122 times
Most of 77025 is great just say inside the loop outside the area has high crime but the other areas have nice homes great prices in Linkwood & Woodside

Old 03-07-2009, 12:28 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,574,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Most of 77025 is great just say inside the loop outside the area has high crime
I'm doing my part. Why, I even jaywalked across Stella Link the other day.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:45 AM

21 posts, read 58,486 times
Save yourself don't move to Houston!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2009, 06:45 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,832,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedInDC View Post
I like cosmopolitan areas with hustle, bustle and nightlife as well as good restaurants.
Thanks so much!
Montrose and Rice Village are two areas for you to explore. Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 AM

16 posts, read 37,175 times
Hi everyone!
Thanks for your thoughts. I had a nice time in Houston but I have to admit it is wayyy different from DC or any other part of the northeast that I have been to. It is true that everything is bigger in TX. I did love the Galleria are and west university/rice village. I thought sugarland was very nice but I didnt see anything that came close to georgetown in dc or any of the other parts of dc that have nightlife and restaurants like the west end, dupont circle, k street etc. I also expected more from downtown that just a large commercial district. I didn't see a great variety of restaurants or classy lounges in d/t. It was mostly clubs and maybe a few restaurants. Or did I not hit the right part of town? I enjoyed Memorial, River Oaks and the Galleria area and had a couple good meals at Prego in Rice Village and Escalante's in the Memorial area (if thats what its called). I think I would have to visit at least another time to determine if Houston is where I'd like to move down the road. I still believe, however, that the city is relatively affordable compared to DC and there seem to be good business opportunities. One place I think I should've checked out but couldn't due to limited time was the Katy area which my buddy told me is really up and coming. IAH is HUGE!!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:17 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,125,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedInDC View Post
Hi everyone!
Thanks for your thoughts. I had a nice time in Houston but I have to admit it is wayyy different from DC or any other part of the northeast that I have been to. It is true that everything is bigger in TX. I did love the Galleria are and west university/rice village. I thought sugarland was very nice but I didnt see anything that came close to georgetown in dc or any of the other parts of dc that have nightlife and restaurants like the west end, dupont circle, k street etc. I also expected more from downtown that just a large commercial district. I didn't see a great variety of restaurants or classy lounges in d/t. It was mostly clubs and maybe a few restaurants. Or did I not hit the right part of town? I enjoyed Memorial, River Oaks and the Galleria area and had a couple good meals at Prego in Rice Village and Escalante's in the Memorial area (if thats what its called). I think I would have to visit at least another time to determine if Houston is where I'd like to move down the road. I still believe, however, that the city is relatively affordable compared to DC and there seem to be good business opportunities. One place I think I should've checked out but couldn't due to limited time was the Katy area which my buddy told me is really up and coming. IAH is HUGE!!
Houston is a very big city, geographically. You also missed Houston's far N and NW areas like Cypress and the Woodlands. There are great areas all around the city so living within 10 miles of work, generally, wouldnt be a problem. You sound younger and seem to be looking for an area with good nightlife and fun, so I would recommend living "in the the loop". There are some good areas outside of the loop within Houston as well. If you want some more specifics just ask.

DC is a different city than Houston, its older, denser, and full of lots of history. It really would be hard to compare the cities, but I think people really underestimate Houston.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:58 AM

18 posts, read 56,007 times
Inner city, I like the Heights. They have really rebuilt that area since I lived there in the early 90s.

~Francis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston