Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:35 PM

421 posts, read 1,726,413 times

Advertisements

Tell me about TSU. What do you like, dislike about the academic, housing and social aspects of the school. I can't seem to make up my mind.
I never gave TSU serious consideration until recently, so tell me what you think about the institution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 03:09 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,252 times
Only know that it is a historically African-American educational institution and that a previous TSU president was spending money in ways that others disagreed with (to put mildly). By your name "MommiePreMed", it implies you're a pre-med student? Not sure how TSU ranks with other schools when it comes to students getting into Med school.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:22 PM

687 posts, read 2,127,879 times
TSU has stated its intention to become a premier research university. However, this appears to be at odds with its student base, in terms of their qualifications upon entry (test scores, academic readiness, etc...). They do seem to have a well-regarded pharmacy program. The Houston Chronicle had an extensive article about this a while back.

I've had some experience with TSU students, and have not been impressed with their academic preparation, in comparison with students from other institutions in Houston. That said, one of my staff is a TSU graduate, and she is phenomenal.

I remember reading that TSU receives less state funds than other public universities in Texas, so resources for students may not be comparable with other universities. Fortunately, there are quite a few options available in Houston, so you can compare, and decide on what best fits your needs. What are you thinking of studying? (I didn't want to make any assumptions from your moniker)

Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,902 times
There admission practices are horrible, paperwork, fin aid, everything is bad, sorry TSU alums but just like Prairie View whoever handles the money aint getting it to the bank.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:13 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,851,661 times
I think it all depends on the area of study you decide on. I hear they have a good law school and good pharmacy school.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
TSU has stated its intention to become a premier research university. However, this appears to be at odds with its student base, in terms of their qualifications upon entry (test scores, academic readiness, etc...). They do seem to have a well-regarded pharmacy program. The Houston Chronicle had an extensive article about this a while back.

I've had some experience with TSU students, and have not been impressed with their academic preparation, in comparison with students from other institutions in Houston. That said, one of my staff is a TSU graduate, and she is phenomenal.

I remember reading that TSU receives less state funds than other public universities in Texas, so resources for students may not be comparable with other universities. Fortunately, there are quite a few options available in Houston, so you can compare, and decide on what best fits your needs. What are you thinking of studying? (I didn't want to make any assumptions from your moniker)
My major is nutrition but I am also taking the required courses to apply to medical school. If I were to attend TSU I would only have to complete the courses for my major at the institution.

I could say a lot as to why some TSU grads are not competitive, but this is not the place. Though I am sure that the caliber has less to do with the school and more to do with the focus and willingness of the students to learn and not just obtain a degree.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Their admission practices are horrible, paperwork, fin aid, everything is bad, sorry TSU alums but just like Prairie View whoever handles the money aint getting it to the bank.

Today I called 5 administrative offices, only one person answered the phone. He promised to call back before 5pm but failed to do so. I also emailed a recruiter over the weekend and even he has yet to respond, so I am sure that TSU is not the place for me.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think it all depends on the area of study you decide on. I hear they have a good law school and good pharmacy school.
I have heard the same, but I am not interested in law or pharmacy, so I guess that I will remain at U of H.

They are not perfect, but better than my minute dealings with TSU.
If I could just get U of H to evaluate my transcripts, 8 months have elapsed since I submitted them, I would feel better about the school.

It would also help if they offered married student housing.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:50 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,991,725 times
TSU has had a lot of administrative problems among others. Why is U of H taking so long - 8 months?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,716,119 times
It is among the best in the country for law and not too shabby for pharmacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston