Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 06:07 PM

34 posts, read 60,878 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Houston for graduate school. PVAMU does not have a Public Administration program (the program I'm interested in) so that leaves me to University of Houston and Texas Southern. I have been doing my research on both and have seen very mixed reviews about TSU. People say that it's ghetto and I saw that their accreditation was threatened more than once due to financial issues which scares me, but most of the students seemed to have had a good experience. I would avoid TS based on that alone but I'm kind of intrigued given it's an HBCU. Help please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 06:29 PM

179 posts, read 858,334 times
What is HBCU?

Old 11-10-2012, 06:53 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom22bless View Post
What is HBCU?
Historically black colleges and universities. To the OP, my sister,aunts,uncles,cousins,mother went or graduated from TSU. My sister actually works their now. I think people consider TSU "ghetto" because it's a HBCU located in 3rdWard( which to me all of 3rdWard is not the ghetto)however it is a housing project right across the street from TSU(Cuney Homes) but it's not like that ever crossed over on campus and everybody in the housing projects are not involved in criminal activity. I know over the years TSU has been slacking when it comes to people in charge. However I still hear it's a good school esp. for a HBCU. You know alot of HBCU's are not doing too well financially and that affects everything around the campus. UH just has more resources

Old 11-10-2012, 08:06 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,784 times
What do you plan on doing for work after you get your degree, that you can't do now?

Old 11-10-2012, 09:16 PM

687 posts, read 2,128,457 times
Go with UH, it's got a much more solid reputation. Another plus - it is one of the most diverse universities in the U.S.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:40 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Historically black colleges and universities. To the OP, my sister,aunts,uncles,cousins,mother went or graduated from TSU. My sister actually works their now. I think people consider TSU "ghetto" because it's a HBCU located in 3rdWard( which to me all of 3rdWard is not the ghetto)however it is a housing project right across the street from TSU(Cuney Homes) but it's not like that ever crossed over on campus and everybody in the housing projects are not involved in criminal activity. I know over the years TSU has been slacking when it comes to people in charge. However I still hear it's a good school esp. for a HBCU. You know alot of HBCU's are not doing too well financially and that affects everything around the campus. UH just has more resources
Well, it's the school itself and not the neighborhood that has given TSU a reputation of being "ghetto".

Old 11-11-2012, 12:18 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, it's the school itself and not the neighborhood that has given TSU a reputation of being "ghetto".
I don't see it though, I've been to TSU thousands of times doesn't seem "ghetto". I seriously think people say this about TSU because it's a HBCU. Is it some "ghetto" people there? Sure, but majority of the student body there is not considered what people call "ghetto".

Old 11-11-2012, 07:39 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I don't see it though, I've been to TSU thousands of times doesn't seem "ghetto". I seriously think people say this about TSU because it's a HBCU. Is it some "ghetto" people there? Sure, but majority of the student body there is not considered what people call "ghetto".
Well, I never said that reputation was absolutely deserved, but there are other HBCUs located mostly/partially in "bad" neighborhoods that you never hear people call ghetto: Spelman, Morehouse, Fisk, Xavier, etc.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, I never said that reputation was absolutely deserved, but there are other HBCUs located mostly/partially in "bad" neighborhoods that you never hear people call ghetto: Spelman, Morehouse, Fisk, Xavier, etc.
This.

My mom went to TSU but of course back in the 80s it was a good school. It's reputation has been so poor to where it's not really worth it. I know 1 person at TSU's law school right now and it's a "it's a chance to study law because my LSAT score was poor but I plan on getting my LLM at a much more stellar reputation school to off set it"

That's not worth it to me. If you're going to do something extra aka graduate school, go for the gusto as high as you can. Undergrad, eh knock yourself out. I wouldn't but still it's just undergrad but plan on graduate school somewhere much better.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:38 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,172 times
UH is a more reputable school than TSU will ever be IMO however, my question to you is: why attend a HBCU? UH is a diverse school (which shouldn't matter) and is going to give you a more favorable opinion in front of employers than TSU (personal experience).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: