Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:15 PM

146 posts, read 520,398 times

Advertisements

I dont know why people think that it is bad and ugly for Houston to have so many strip shops and houses. What is so bad and ugly about having them I think that theyre are some strip centers that look real nice from the outside and subdivisions arent all that bad looking either. So why do people assume that this is all that houston is and that it makes it seem so ugly. Wouldnt you rather have strip shops and homes than not have anything at all to go to and to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 09:33 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
Quote:
Of course not. You lack vision. I see a place where people get off and on the freeway. On and off. Off and on. All day, all night. Soon where Toontown once stood will be a string of gas stations. Inexpensive motels. Restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food. Tire salons. Automobile dealerships. And wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see... My God, it'll be beautiful.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:54 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
of course not. You lack vision. I see a place where people get off and on the freeway. On and off. Off and on. All day, all night. Soon where toontown once stood will be a string of gas stations. Inexpensive motels. Restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food. Tire salons. Automobile dealerships. And wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see... My god, it'll be beautiful.
lmao

Old 02-22-2009, 07:01 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
And crosses!! Don't forget the crosses!

Old 02-22-2009, 11:52 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Of course not. You lack vision. I see a place where people get off and on the freeway. On and off. Off and on. All day, all night. Soon where Toontown once stood will be a string of gas stations. Inexpensive motels. Restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food. Tire salons. Automobile dealerships. And wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see... My God, it'll be beautiful.
I think this is funny jfre, but I sort of agree with the OP. People like to bag on strip malls, but they're everywhere. It's just that in the NE, cities don't have huge parking lots in front of them and they have nicer/less sterile architecture. Parking lots are often barren, not well kept and sometimes full of ugly cars. Strip malls just need to be beautified in Houston, which would probably include the impressive goal of significantly reducing car culture.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:33 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I think this is funny jfre, but I sort of agree with the OP. People like to bag on strip malls, but they're everywhere. It's just that in the NE, cities don't have huge parking lots in front of them and they have nicer/less sterile architecture. Parking lots are often barren, not well kept and sometimes full of ugly cars. Strip malls just need to be beautified in Houston, which would probably include the impressive goal of significantly reducing car culture.
That's what it is. The parking lots is what people generally dislike. Parking lots make anything look ugly IMO and if they are too big, the area becomes undesirable. This is why many people dislike big box stores.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:43 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
And yet, it frustrates me to no end to be in one of those cities where you have to fight and struggle and scratch up your car to find a parking spot so you can do anything. Urgh! Give me a big, wide open parking lot any day.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:21 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,928 times
I don't understand why the parking can't be behind the buildings. It would make everything more pleasant.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:02 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Security, I'd bet.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:57 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,436,288 times
Its really easy to make a parking lot look much, much nicer. Basically, even if the parking lot is big, all you have to do is plant some trees and shrubs around the exterior of it.

Better yet: try to incorporate the natural landscape into the parking lot. On my side of town, the Pappadeux's and Pappasito's on 1960 near Willowbrook accomplish this nicely. In older parts of town, where parking lots are just as big and numerous, trees and shrubs planted 25 years ago have had time to mature, thus creating a better visual landscape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston