Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 PM

687 posts, read 2,129,303 times

Advertisements

MDAnderson is facing the same conditions that most hospitals are facing... serious economic outlook. That said, I think the institution is better situated to weather the turbulence, as it has larger reserves and philanthropy support than most hospitals.

To Black American Princess, I think that pharmacy positions are most likely not grant-funded, so would be subject to the hiring freeze.

Dr. M gave a talk to staff recently, and mentioned that the "L" word is up for discussion, as one of many options to consider in order to maintain fiscal stability and to continue caring for patients. Other institutions have already started cleaning house and re-structuring. Memorial Hermann let go more than 10 execs recently. I hear that Methodist hired an efficiency expert and is starting to sweep...

I love my job, and the people I work with... keeping fingers crossed, and working really really hard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 14,246 times
Last I heard -- MDACC has a total hiring freeze (unless direct VP approval) and layoffs are coming.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:28 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,142,821 times
How is MD Anderson better situated financially than other hospitals seeing how's it is state run?

Old 04-04-2009, 08:57 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,414,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
How is MD Anderson better situated financially than other hospitals seeing how's it is state run?

A plethora of institutional grants and private donations. Because MD Anderson is the #1 cancer hospital in the world, the NIH will almost always fund a decent grant application, whether it be on the research side, or clinical side (trials).

They get TONS of money. Believe me. This "we're broke" thing...I don't buy it.

You know what Rahm Emanuel says, "Don't let a good crisis go to waste."

...and that's all I'll say about that.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:06 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,544,095 times
all i know is that there are alot of companies out there jumping on the 'due to economic downturn', 'layoff' bandwagon right now when they really don't have a need to. also, i sent my resume to MD Anderson several times over a period of 5 years and never ever got a call back. i heard that you really have to know someone currently working in the department you're applying, in order to get your foot in the door.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
A plethora of institutional grants and private donations. Because MD Anderson is the #1 cancer hospital in the world, the NIH will almost always fund a decent grant application, whether it be on the research side, or clinical side (trials).

They get TONS of money. Believe me. This "we're broke" thing...I don't buy it.

You know what Rahm Emanuel says, "Don't let a good crisis go to waste."

...and that's all I'll say about that.

This is true about most of the hospitals in the medical center...about getting donations, etc. MD Anderson is a great cancer hospital. But TCH beat out their Pediatric Cancer Center. And St. Lukes is one of the best heart hospitals. Methodist is one of the best Neuro hospitals. Hermann has a great trauma unit. So MD Anderson isn't quite as special as it thinks it is. Everyone in my hospital thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. And while I am very proud of where I work, I see that there are other institutions that are equally as good. So just because "It's the #1 Cancer hospital in the world" doesn't mean that it's the only one who should be given a helping hand.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:05 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,414,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
This is true about most of the hospitals in the medical center...about getting donations, etc. MD Anderson is a great cancer hospital. But TCH beat out their Pediatric Cancer Center. And St. Lukes is one of the best heart hospitals. Methodist is one of the best Neuro hospitals. Hermann has a great trauma unit. So MD Anderson isn't quite as special as it thinks it is. Everyone in my hospital thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. And while I am very proud of where I work, I see that there are other institutions that are equally as good. So just because "It's the #1 Cancer hospital in the world" doesn't mean that it's the only one who should be given a helping hand.

I'm confused at your response.

No one is trying to say they're the #1 hospital ever.

As for MDACC's #1 rating--this is not my personal opinion--each year they are rated and usually run neck-and-neck with Sloan Kettering in NYC.

The reason that I posted what I did has nothing to do with whether or not other hospitals deserve a handout, or to debate their merit--I'm merely saying I don't believe MDACC is in enough financial trouble that they need to fudge up numbers a bit to make them look needy to the government.

Does that make my post more clear? Hopefully?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:09 PM

69 posts, read 246,567 times
MD Anderson is quietly doing layoffs. Each department must layoff at least 10% of there budget. My old department layoffs begin on Monday.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:56 PM

687 posts, read 2,129,303 times
True about the layoffs, unfortunately. Operating expenses currently exceed operating revenues. Investments are in the toilet, like everyone else's, so hardly any financial cushion. Grant-funded positions are safest for now. Very unsettling times right now for everyone.

Re: U.S. News & World Report, M. D. Anderson is #1 in cancer, #4 in Ear, nose, throat, #9 in Urology, #16 in Gynecology, and #21 in Pediatrics. This is because cancer is more than 100 diseases, and research breakthroughs can have significant implications for the understanding/treatment other diseases.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
Re: U.S. News & World Report, M. D. Anderson is #1 in cancer, #4 in Ear, nose, throat, #9 in Urology, #16 in Gynecology, and #21 in Pediatrics. This is because cancer is more than 100 diseases, and research breakthroughs can have significant implications for the understanding/treatment other diseases.
What's your point here? To stout numbers? Per U.S. News & World Report, Texas Children's is:
#6 for General Pediatrics
#3 in Cancer (MD Anderson comes in at #21 for pediatric cancer)
#4 in Digestive Disorders
#3 in Heart & Heart Surgery
#8 in Neonatal Care
#5 in Neurology & Neurosurgery
#2 in Respiratory Disorders

Being that we only see a pediatric population, and can't include adults and adult diseases in our numbers and ratings, I think those are pretty good standings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: