Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:09 PM

166 posts, read 682,522 times

Advertisements

We have been to Petsmart and Petco with no luck. There use to be a parrot store close by in North Houston, but it closed down. Does anyone know of any good parrot shops in the Houston area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 12:46 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,182 times
Go to Bacliff!!

The Industrial Tour of Houston

scroll to the bottom of the page at the end of the article.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:00 AM

1,227 posts, read 3,011,679 times
I hear they have it at some of the local Asian meat markets. They claim it to be chicken, but I hear you can't tell the difference!..lol.

So this preacher goes to this used parrot store to buy a pet. The store owner tells him he only has one left, but he probably wouldn't be interested because the previous owner used foul language. The preacher decides to go ahead and give the parrot a shot.

He comes home and the parrot starts cursing. The preacher looks at the parrot and says "this has got to stop, your going in the freezer", and he places the parrot in the freezer for 5 min.

He takes the parrot out and the parrot asks him "so what did the chicken do?"..........

Old 02-01-2009, 09:50 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
What kind of parrot are you looking for? There are many breeds with many different personalities, some are better than others. High-maintenance, low-maintenance? Talker? Singer? Big? Small?

Old 02-01-2009, 12:58 PM

118 posts, read 314,293 times
Interesting thread,'cause I will be interested in parrots too,when I settle in Hou...

A parrot is the perfect bird. It has the heart of an eagle ,the smartness of a dolphin ,the friendliness of a dog..

Do they sale male & female ,or only males ?

Are the parrots imported or local breeds ?

Are some species legal to sell or is there any endangered species law which may be broken ?

Old 02-01-2009, 01:40 PM

166 posts, read 682,522 times
This will be my first parrot to be honest so honestly I'm not sure what type I'm looking for. I do know that I want him/her to talk, possibly sing and small.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:00 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
Please...do lots of research before buying! Parrots can live onwards of 50 years and can be noisy,and destructive. Because they are so intelligent, there is just no putting them into a cage and leaving them. They must be entertained, let out of their cage and excercised. Become bored...and and they will screech loudly! It is a very huge commitment! . Most people compare the care of a parrot to that of a 2 yr. old child! Very demanding!
PS...depending on the size of the parrot, will depend on his speech ability. Most parrots do not "sing". You may want to invest in a canary or parakeet. Or a cockatiel. Cheaper and much easier to care for...Good luck in your search...you may want to do a search of breeders too.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:43 PM

809 posts, read 3,568,928 times
Some people get parrots without realizing the commitment it takes. Then give them up. Consider adopting a rescue.
[
]National Parrot Rescue & Preservation Foundation
http://www.parrotfestival.org/foradoption.html

Old 02-01-2009, 08:08 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Fiesta?

Old 02-01-2009, 09:13 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
I agree wholeheartedly with Shelby and Alex. I also recommend going to Adventures In Birds on Westview in between Silber and Wirt--they can really educate you on birds and guide you over the course of several weeks, if necessary, to find the right bird just for you so that you don't find yourself with the wrong bird and stuck!

It sounds like, though, you may want a budgie (what people commonly call parakeets but are not true parakeets) or finches or a canary. Cockatiels are great, males are much more personable and vocal than females IMHO. Just be careful with drafts, you'll have to do some research on them. They are terrific mimics and can sing whole songs if you teach them, or they'll just sing on their own. My aunt and uncle have one that whistles reville, it's hilarious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston