Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 14,280 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to the Houston and a friend recommended Spring or Humble areas. I also read about Klein and Champion???? I currently teach 5th grade and hope to get a teaching job in a good school district. Seeking a nice safe area to live in and a good school for my son..newly divorced single mom .I would appreciate any info on private/public preschools, apartments (pricing), and tips on getting a teaching job one of the school districts in those area...Help!!! Also open to other areas of Houston.....Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 06:07 PM

490 posts, read 1,435,075 times
This post is hard to answer because Houston is HUGE and has a lot of great suburbs and great school districts.

If you want to look at where you will make the most money Google each district and the pay schedule will be on the site. Districts vary with pay so that could help sway you.

You should decide on an area of town and then look up apartments on apartment finder sites.
I cannot help with pre-schools.

Once you know where you want to live people may be able to give you more specific information on the area.

Getting a job as an elementary teacher is the most competitive area…especially in good districts. This is the one area of teaching that is very over saturated. Very few teachers want to work in the bad areas of town, which makes good schools competitive.

North
Humble is Humble ISD
Spring is Spring ISD and some Conroe ISD

Other good areas
Sugarland…Fort Bend ISD
Katy…Katy ISD

I have no idea where Klein or Champion is.

Here is the big thing…. Will Texas accept your certification? You can find out a lot of SBEC and TEA.

Texas Education Agency

Welcome to the State Board for Educator Certification (http://www.sbec.state.tx.us/SBECOnline/default.asp - broken link)

From SBEC….
“Applicants who have met the comparable Texas passing score on selected tests from Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Mexico, and Oklahoma, a Texas Comparability Test Score/Passing Verification Form must be completed and submitted to the National Evaluation Systems as part of the Review of Credentials for authorized release of your test scores.

Individuals who have taken comparable tests in the Praxis II series should contact Educational Testing Services (ETS) at (800) 772-9476 to have these scores mailed to SBEC. The State Board for Educator Certification entity code is R8325, and this number must be supplied to ETS to get a score report mailed to SBEC.

National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Assessments (NBPTS) are accepted for certification testing requirements in Texas. The National Board Certified Teacher can request official verification of National Board Assessments be sent to SBEC by contacting NBPTS at (703) 465-8867 for the release of test scores to the State Board for Educator Certification.”

Old 01-20-2009, 06:11 PM

Sorry I could not format that post right!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:46 PM

874 posts, read 2,895,978 times
Are you moving from out of state? As Josci's post mentioned, some states have what is considered equivalent certification. If you aren't from one of those states, you can get a one year out-of-state certificate (this is what I did when I first moved back down here). Either way, you will want to get the process started ASAP.

It is not too early to start applying. Most districts will accept (or require) applications online.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:37 PM

I currently live in Dallas..so I am already TX certified

Old 01-25-2009, 05:50 PM

You could attend the Gulf Coast Teacher Job Fair...It is region 4 and covers Houston area and all the surrounding districts.

http://www.esc4.net/docs/166-Job%20Fair%20Brochure.pdf (broken link)

I highly recommend applying online to the districts you like before attending the job fair.

Some districts also hold their own job fairs in the Spring/Summer...so you could look into that as well.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the info...greatly appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: