Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:54 PM

447 posts, read 1,766,001 times

Advertisements

First off, I was not scolding or spanking her.
And while she followed the advice given to her for her situation, she also advocated that advice for someone else with a different situation.

And I apologized for coming off heavy handed--- but I encounter fraud on an almost weekly basis!

And I'm quite sure Shelbygirl can speak for herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 03:05 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Again...I only passed on the info that was provided to me by my MIL lawyers. No fraud, no breaking the law...this is a 95 yr old woman with less than $1000 to her name! And who needs TOTAL Nursing Home Care. It is my husband and I that paid the Nursing Home outrageous bills of over $7000 a month, for a mediocre, at best, facility.
Have no idea what CF's Mom was collecting, I only know that we discussed the app. to Medicaid. Since then, her app. was accepted and passed and her Mom is doing well (last I heard, anyways?) in a facility.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:26 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
You make it sound like the nursing home is a villain. Did you shop around to multiple homes for the best price? What is a fair price to you for room and board in a dedicated facility along with 24/7 access to caregivers and nurses? I know it is a terrible situation to have a loved one that is no longer able to take care of themselves but you can't expect other people to do this very demanding work for you for nothing.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:05 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I only know that we discussed the app. to Medicaid. Since then, her app. was accepted and passed and her Mom is doing well (last I heard, anyways?) in a facility.

I didn't realize this 7-month-old thread had been revived, so I'll provide a quick update.

In late January my mother went directly from a hospital to a nursing home, and after she was there 30 days I delivered the Medicaid application to the designated representative. I had spoken with a lawyer's office about having them do the app but even they said, because of my mom's very simple financial situation, that I really was capable of doing it myself. It is somewhat time-consuming but ultimately straightforward. (ShelbyGirl's MIL's situation was far more complex and in another state.) I guess I did a good job; the Medicaid rep never called with questions, and the approval came within a month. My mom's Medicaid status was retroactive to the day she entered the NH, which is normal.

There is a difference between "community Medicaid" and "nursing-home Medicaid". While she was still living in her own place (HUD-supported independent senior apartments, not assisted living) she did receive the provider services through a social worker from DADS (state Dept. of Aging and Disability Services). I was told it was a Medicaid _program from combined sources that paid for the provider. I don't pretend to understand how all of that worked behind the scenes. If EM1956 says that means she was _on Medicaid, then maybe it's a fine-print kind of thing? She did not have a Medicaid card, was not on Star Plus or any other such low-income program. She had slightly too much SS to be "on Medicaid." She's very elderly and has disabilities, though, so maybe those were factors in this provider program. I truly don't know. But that's all moot now, as she's a permanent NH resident and no longer in the "community."

Anyway...I would suggest to BrotherWhatley, as did Winebrat months ago to me, that he start with the DADS website. (See the earlier links or Google "TX DADS" and you'll get there.) Or call the social worker at the NH you might be considering and ask him/her how to make it work. We looked at a different NH a while back and the admissions person said we would have to pay out of pocket until the Medicaid was approved, but at that point we would be REIMBURSED for those payments.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:42 PM

447 posts, read 1,766,001 times
I agree that the DADS website is great and has tons of useful information.

Also, BrotherWhatley, whatever facility your loved one is currently in, there should be a social worker who can help guide you through this huge bureaucracy! Good Luck and I hope that all works out well.

CatFancier- I am glad that your mom is in a good place! Our elderly need more concerned children like you!

Old 07-21-2009, 12:44 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1956 View Post
First off, I was not scolding or spanking her.
And while she followed the advice given to her for her situation, she also advocated that advice for someone else with a different situation.

And I apologized for coming off heavy handed--- but I encounter fraud on an almost weekly basis!

And I'm quite sure Shelbygirl can speak for herself.

Yep, Shelbygirl can speak for herself, and always has been able to. That doesn't mean I'm not entitled to my opinion.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
I didn't realize this 7-month-old thread had been revived, so I'll provide a quick update.

In late January my mother went directly from a hospital to a nursing home, and after she was there 30 days I delivered the Medicaid application to the designated representative. I had spoken with a lawyer's office about having them do the app but even they said, because of my mom's very simple financial situation, that I really was capable of doing it myself. It is somewhat time-consuming but ultimately straightforward. (ShelbyGirl's MIL's situation was far more complex and in another state.) I guess I did a good job; the Medicaid rep never called with questions, and the approval came within a month. My mom's Medicaid status was retroactive to the day she entered the NH, which is normal.

There is a difference between "community Medicaid" and "nursing-home Medicaid". While she was still living in her own place (HUD-supported independent senior apartments, not assisted living) she did receive the provider services through a social worker from DADS (state Dept. of Aging and Disability Services). I was told it was a Medicaid _program from combined sources that paid for the provider. I don't pretend to understand how all of that worked behind the scenes. If EM1956 says that means she was _on Medicaid, then maybe it's a fine-print kind of thing? She did not have a Medicaid card, was not on Star Plus or any other such low-income program. She had slightly too much SS to be "on Medicaid." She's very elderly and has disabilities, though, so maybe those were factors in this provider program. I truly don't know. But that's all moot now, as she's a permanent NH resident and no longer in the "community."

Anyway...I would suggest to BrotherWhatley, as did Winebrat months ago to me, that he start with the DADS website. (See the earlier links or Google "TX DADS" and you'll get there.) Or call the social worker at the NH you might be considering and ask him/her how to make it work. We looked at a different NH a while back and the admissions person said we would have to pay out of pocket until the Medicaid was approved, but at that point we would be REIMBURSED for those payments.
Thanks CF for clearing the debate: Was she or wasn't she! LOL...I knew I wasn't going crazy! There is no doubt the difference in applying state to state. You and I found that out with the mere length of Tx app vs the Fla app!
My best to both you and your Mom. I know how tough the whole situation can be.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,634 times
My dad is in nursing home pending medicaid meanwhile for past 2 months that he has been there they have me turn over his ss check minus 30 dollars he gets to keep. Is this right.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOLANDA CAMPOS View Post
My dad is in nursing home pending medicaid meanwhile for past 2 months that he has been there they have me turn over his ss check minus 30 dollars he gets to keep. Is this right.
Sounds right. For my MIL, her entire SS check, minus the $30 (personal money) and she also carries BC/BS which is taken out before the nursing home collects.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,452 times
Can anyone on this thread that has placed their loved one in a "medicaid pending" home please let me know which home they got them into? Every one that I am contacting states they will not accept "medicaid pending" status and we need to pay 3 months up front. We've already been tapped out by my husband's grandmother living with us for 16 years and we have taken care of everything for her over that time. We cannot pay for a home month's on end pending the approval process and she has to have skilled nursing care. She is in hospital at this time, but will need to go to a nursing home afterward. Please advise any information you are aware of regarding this. Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston