Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 09:37 AM

23 posts, read 85,597 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
We are planning a move to Houston in a few months and were interested in the Woodlands area. Is the village of Grogans Mills a good place for a family with young kids ? Are the houses in the area in good shape despite their age ? How is the traffic for downtown ?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 09:47 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,517,416 times
Grogans Mill is great. It's in the front of The Woodlands, so your commute is significantly shorter than if you live in the back of the Woodlands. Plus, you can take The Woodlands Express (Park n Ride) from the Sawdust Rd. lot and save yourself even more time.

The older homes are making a "comeback" in many areas of Grogans Mill, especially LifeForms, so if you can get your hands on one of those, go for it. You'll have a great house and a great neighborhood for kids.

My favorite village in The Woodlands, though, would have to be Indian Springs. I just love it.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 12,256 times
I live in grogans mill and can tell you it is very very nice being so close to everything that the woodlands has to offer. Takes about 5 minutes to be on 45 and these older areas of the woodlands are more mature in terms of the trees and foliage. Theres still plenty of kids around this area and good schools all around. I think anywhere in the woodlands is great for a family to raise kids its a nice peaceful place.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:52 AM

410 posts, read 1,689,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Grogans Mill is great. It's in the front of The Woodlands, so your commute is significantly shorter than if you live in the back of the Woodlands. Plus, you can take The Woodlands Express (Park n Ride) from the Sawdust Rd. lot and save yourself even more time.

The older homes are making a "comeback" in many areas of Grogans Mill, especially LifeForms, so if you can get your hands on one of those, go for it. You'll have a great house and a great neighborhood for kids.

My favorite village in The Woodlands, though, would have to be Indian Springs. I just love it.
Mom...I'd agree ...Indian Springs...Grogans Mill is closer, commute wise to I45.... but (IMO) the homes in Indian Springs aren't as dated & offer interesting interiors. It maybe buried back in the Woodlands... but worth the drive.... Sunny

Old 12-21-2008, 03:36 PM

1,221 posts, read 3,027,519 times
I live in San Antonio now, but did live in Panther Creek, and worked in Grogan's Mill. I actually like it more so than most of The Woodlands because the older homes have more charachter in my opinion. There is a very wide pricerange of homes in there also, from big golf course, to small 3/2's. Your a very short drive to the Interstate, and shopping there as well. I liked the fact that the Woodlands Athletic Center is right in there as well as Fudruckers, Beck's Prime, and Brother's Pizza. Just my opinion.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:58 PM

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback.

What about nuisance in the area such as air traffic, train tracks (noise), or water treatment plants (smell) or others... Are there such "not so nice" surprises in the area ? If so, are they far enough not to be bothered by them ?

Old 12-21-2008, 09:31 PM

1,221 posts, read 3,027,519 times
Air traffic isn't too bad because IAH is far enough away, but you will hear a faint plane here and there, nothing to be of concern for sure. Bugs were the biggest nuisance I experienced in The Woodlands because it's East Texas in the woods, and many mosquitos, june bugs, etc. Also make sure you have a lawn mower, and durring the rainy season of the summer be ready to mow 2wice a week. If you don't The Woodlands will be after you!...lol.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:22 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,079,873 times
I lived in the Woodlands near the back and I loved it back there. It was quiet and there was not a lot of traffic in and out of my area when I lived there. I prefer to be in a more secluded section so for me Grogan's Mill was out of the question and I did look at about 6 houses in Grogan's Mill before moving into my townhome.
Good luck and no matter what, you are sure to love it there!!!

Old 12-24-2008, 12:55 PM

Thank you again for your feedbacks.

What about flooding in the Woodlands and more specifically in the Grogans Mills area, any concerns ?

Merry Christmas to all of you !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston