Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:33 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Right, and when all outsiders hear is how "upscale" the Galleria is, it is disappointing the first time you go there if it is too much like every other mall. My first impression was to be a bit surprised that the stores weren't as universally upscale as I thought they would be. But I think we have a whole other thread on that!
The first time I went to the Galleria I thought to myself "It's Mall of America without the rides". The Galleria is nothing special. The area it is in is very nice, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 08:40 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,956 times
well the posers should be able to buy something and put it in their other designer brand paper bags

Old 12-19-2008, 11:35 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The first time I went to the Galleria I thought to myself "It's Mall of America without the rides". The Galleria is nothing special. The area it is in is very nice, however.
I love The Galleria. It's easily my favorite mall in Houston. It has that upscale feel to me. A lot of stores I can't afford in there. I don't see it as just "another mall" when like 90% of Houston's other malls don't have some of the stores that The Galleria has.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:42 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
The Galleria may have stores for all demographics but I would hardly say it caters to all demographics. It has a relative few low priced stores to get everyone in but the majority of stores cater to those with money and travelers with money (or those with a lot of credit card debt). Their goal is to make themselves the premier shopping destination in Houston - if they cater to all demographics too heavily - they become just another mall.
I bet when you go to Northpark Mall in Dallas or Beverly Hills in LA your going to see all levels of classes and people, Your not just going to see fancy rich people walking around buying expensive things. Galleria wouldn't be successful as it is today if it only catered to the rich. Why do you think Victory Park failed in Dallas? It caters too much to the higher - class instead of working-class people like myself. Most successful businesses get most of their success from people of our caliber. When the Galleria is compared to others malls within the Houston area like Sharpstown or Memorial City Mall, they just don't come close no matter what stores they have.

Do you think the Galleria would be much more successful if it only had upscale/expensive stores???

Old 12-19-2008, 08:01 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Probably not more successful but probably wouldn't make it any less successful. A lot of wealthy travelers come here to go there (it can be a major portion of their trip along with seeing certain medical professionals that we have here, etc.) Despite being known for affordable housing, economy, etc., don't let that fool you - Houston is home to a lot of wealth and a lot of wealth passes through town on a regular basis.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Probably not more successful but probably wouldn't make it any less successful. A lot of wealthy travelers come here to go there (it can be a major portion of their trip along with seeing certain medical professionals that we have here, etc.) Despite being known for affordable housing, economy, etc., don't let that fool you - Houston is home to a lot of wealth and a lot of wealth passes through town on a regular basis.
I know Houston has a lot of wealthy people, but the Galleria is too big just to cater to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston