Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:23 AM

41 posts, read 260,715 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, we live in Cinco Ranch, Katy 77494. we're about to become parents in less than a month. After my maternity leave, we need to find reliable child care for our new born son probably in March. We don't know where to start. We don't know whether to send the baby to someone's house, to a child care such as KidsRKids, or invite someone to our house for 10-12 hours a day.

We're open as to sending the child to the caregiver or having the caregive come to our house, but we just don't know the pros and cons of both. What do you think? What is the price range and price differentiation between the two options?

Can you please kindly provide any recommendation and suggestion? Have you had great experience on any child care provider/company? If so, can you please send me a private message about the contact information of the person or place? We will greatly appreciate it!

Thank you for any advice and wish us luck with our first baby!

Last edited by onyx; 12-17-2008 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: none
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 07:20 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I wouldn't send my infant anywhere. I'd have someone come in. Surely you have neighbors, friends, or church members maybe that can recommend someone? There are some online companies for nannies, but I would be more comfortable with someone that had worked for a friend or acquaintance, I guess.

Sometimes neighbors are great as nannies. Do you have any empty-nesters on your street that you know well?

We pay $10 per hour, for 6 hours a week so I can take Phoebe to therapy and run errands. There is really no difference in cost between someone coming to you and you going somewhere.

I wish you all the best when your baby arrives! It will be very, very hard to go back to work once you have that sweet baby in your arms. I hope it will be a smooth transition for you! My littlest is 9 mos--seriously-- and I already have baby fever again! I miss those early days...enjoy it--it is VERY short!!! *wiping tears*

Old 12-18-2008, 07:45 AM

967 posts, read 2,609,081 times
you know there are pros and cons to both. At a center the employees are monitored background checked and all that. They are also required to update CPR/first aid annualy as well as attend a minimum of 15 hours enrichment training every year. Can't always say the same about a neighbor.

That being said look for a small class. Infant ratio in Texas is 4:1, but up to 10-12 babies could be in a large classroom with several teachers. Also some of the "name brand"centers change classes as your baby grows through stages. I prefer the kind where they stay with one class all year. You know the teacher, she knows the baby, you are not going thru new introductions every few months.

My rec is The Learning Center at Living Word Lutheran on Mason rd and Westheimer. Small class and very loving teachers. Many of the teachers have been there over 3 years or more... Unheard of in childcare. The Learning Center has an excellent reputation in the Cinco Ranch area.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:48 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I miss those early days...enjoy it--it is VERY short!!! *wiping tears*
I second that. I was never a "baby" person (I liked puppies better) and then after I had my children, I'm now one of those people who cries at baby baptisms and I have to restrain myself from asking to hold other people's babies. I miss cuddling a baby!

Anyway, back to the question. We did a family day care situation with my children because we had such tremendously strong recommendations for one particular caregiver. She did turn out to be amazing and my children still miss her after we moved away. She had been in business 22 years and was legendary for her skill with children. When my daughter turned out to be the type of baby who hated to be put down, this woman carried her around in a sling all day while caring for other children, too (she did have other help).

My best friend hired a nanny for her twins and the nanny is now like a member of her family. She found the nanny via a mommy group.

I have another friend who used a center type place and because there was one remarkable caregiver in the infant room, they were very happy with that, too.

I think there isn't one right answer...the key is to find the right person and situation. And then try to drop by a lot at all types of hours and make sure you are happy with what you see.

In Seattle, nannies were incredibly expensive compared to other options. But I'm out of touch about prices for this area and perhaps they are more reasonable here.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 AM

67 posts, read 238,137 times
Mom@Feebs: I wouldn't send my infant anywhere.
+++++
Agreed. My sons are 17 and 21 now, and I stayed right at home with both of them until they went to elementary school. I've never regretted that choice. Our finances were brutally halved, but the trade-off of simply being there for my kids was more than worth it. I cannot imagine having a newborn and just handing him or her off to total strangers! I understand some people have to, but I was willing to get by on much, much less if it meant being able to actually mother my kids.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:35 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaglass View Post
I cannot imagine having a newborn and just handing him or her off to total strangers! I understand some people have to, but I was willing to get by on much, much less if it meant being able to actually mother my kids.
Look at that...it only took 4 replies to get to the obligatory "you aren't really mothering your children if you work outside the home" post.

The OP did not ask whether you thought it was a good idea for her to go back to work, she asked for specific suggestions about care.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:18 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Not only that, she took what I said completely out of context.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:31 PM

16 posts, read 52,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaglass View Post
Mom@Feebs: I wouldn't send my infant anywhere.
+++++
Agreed. My sons are 17 and 21 now, and I stayed right at home with both of them until they went to elementary school. I've never regretted that choice. Our finances were brutally halved, but the trade-off of simply being there for my kids was more than worth it. I cannot imagine having a newborn and just handing him or her off to total strangers! I understand some people have to, but I was willing to get by on much, much less if it meant being able to actually mother my kids.
I think its important to remember that not every mother has a husband or significant other. For many single women (and men for that matter) there simply is NO choice but to work. Having finances halved isn't part of the equation and learning to get by on much, much less just isn't an option. Also, there are plenty of children that have turned into normal well adjusted adults who were put into daycare or had babysitters from a very early age - I like to think I'm one.

Its too bad there is so much pressure put on mother's in today's society and it comes from so many directions! This is one reason I'm glad I'm not one.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:21 AM

41 posts, read 260,715 times
Thanks for the info. I was wondering whether anyone would send me a private message about any recommended nanny's contact info? I will definitely check out the Learning Center at Mason/Westheimer as suggested.

I will keep on working because I think it's also a way to "mother your child" by being able to provide financial security to the child's future as well as being responsible for your own retirement and family's future. Either staying home or working is just different ways of being responsible parents. It's a personal choice. However it't not the discussion point of my original post. I am just asking for referreals and information.

Thanks everyone, happy holidays!

Old 12-22-2008, 04:30 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
If money were no object I would probably hire a nanny or an au pair. But in home daycares "can" be good, and centers can also be good. My "baby" goes to Kids R Kids in Cinco Ranch, but I didn't start him there till he was a year old. He stayed home with me till then. I tried to find a part-time nanny when I moved here, but I didn't want the expense of going through an agency and I got some pretty disappointing and flakey applicants. I will say that with either an home or center daycare, you will get GERMS. LOTS of them. My kids are sick frequently, but I figure their immune systems will be stronger than most when they reach elementary school!

The whole "I would NEVER..." SAHM vs Working Mom debate is just so tiring. What works well for one person just does not always work for someone else, whatever the reasons, financial or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston