Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 4,696 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
we just moved from Seattle to Katy. I have a 5 year old, since we are renting now and not in a good score district, I am thinking letting her to go to private daycare for 1 more year. My daughter used to go to Montessori in Seattle, Cinco ranch Montessori has 68 kids on the list, we are not able to make it. Any good schools to recommend? From the old posts, some parents recommended KIDSRKIDS, there are so many of them, which one is better? from teachers and Academic quality sides? How about Children's lighthouse? Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,626 times
Default Pre-school/ day care in katy

Hi. We've been in Katy for two years, and have three kids. For the first year, I drove about 16 miles each way to take my son to the West Houston JCC ECE center. As anyone can imagine, after about six months of getting a 3 year old 16 miles down I-10 for 8:30 a.m preschool, I started looking elsewhere despite that fact that academically, I was very pleased with the JCC. I spent a solid six months looking at preschools in Katy/Cinco. I have friends who have put two daughters through Children's Light House from infancy to school age and now after-care, and they are very pleased. I looked at it myself and was satisfied with their academics. Having said that, I will also say that coming from Seattle you may find you are shocked by schools that claim 'minimal religion'- minimal religion in this area is NOT the same as minimal religion in other areas, and unless you are actively evangelical or at least protestant, it may be more than what you're comfortable with. But maybe not- like I said, it's a good school. It wasn't a good fit for us because we're Jewish, which was another challenge in finding a pre-school and partly explains why it took me so long to find one. Anyway, my youngest, now four, is our only boy, our last child, and has intermittent bouts of rheumatoid arthitis. In short he's a very bright, incredibly sweet kid who is also a hot mess when it comes to leaving his mommy and going to school, and after an extended bout with joint pain last winter he would't even pick up a pencil or crayon for months. I *very* hesitantly put him in The Primrose School of Cinco Ranch this year (changing for pre-k isn't easy!), and his progress has been AMAZING. The teachers are very clear in their expectations but also very giving with their praise and affections, the curriculum is paced just right to provide a good overview of topics in a time that retains a child's attention without boring them, and it is just structured enough to maintain order, calm and expectations without being so "over-structured" as some can go. My older two children went through Montessori programs, my third was in Katy ISD's PPCD program for children with autism (can't say enough good things about that experience!) and my son well, I didn't see his personality as a good fit for Montessori. Primrose has provided just the right amount of structure and direction to take a little boy who didn't want to pick up a crayon and turn him into a little boy who loves to write his mommy notes, in about six months. I would definitely suggest you at least take a look at them. They also have a new center on Cinco Ranch Blvd, depending on where you'll be living closest to. They also have a private kindergarden, which can be a good option for parents who feel their child isn't ready for the bog world of public school kinder but don't want them to fall behind. Good luck!

Old 04-18-2014, 06:55 AM

6 posts, read 10,987 times
We have been very happy with Primrose - and they go through first grade.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:01 AM

19 posts, read 34,865 times
We've been very happy with Foundations Academy on Westheimer Parkway near Fry Rd.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 13,137 times
There is a new a French-Immersion art-focused preschool opening in the SW 610 loop this summer. You might want to check out their website: Houston French Preschool and Academy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston