Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 02:21 PM

70 posts, read 235,416 times

Advertisements

Try to make this easy...

My wife and I have been here for about 6 months. We live near IKEA currently in the spring branch area. She teaches in one of the more western schools in spring branch and I work downtown. Her job location is flexible, but mine is not. She can teach elemetary elsewhere in town, but I foresee myself working downtown in the future and can't really plan on working elsewhere around town.

We're 23 and plan on having kids in a few years (3-4). Leased in a house until summer 2010 and want to buy a house then. Currently saving for down payment on said house. We don't want to mess with the "starter" house concept and want to do our homework and just buy one house that offers what we want the first time. (We REALLY hate moving too)

We want good schools, a house with a yard (so no patio homes), neighborhood safety, and convienience to "stuff" - we love this about the current area with memorial city mall nearby, all the fancy shops down in town & country and down on memorial, home depots, best buys, etc. I think that pretty well covers it. We'd prefer a newer house (say 90's and newer) but would consider older homes if it was the right house. We both hate wood paneling which eliminates a lot of 80's homes... I like trees, but I suppose I could give on that. I want the most reasonable commute possible. The idea of more than an hour kills me. Don't mind doing the park and ride thing. Would like 4br/3ish bath with min 2500ish sq ft and our price range is probably upper 200's on the top side. At least what I would prefer. I don't think I could stomach the mortgage for more than 350 or so, plus I'd like to have the opportunity for my wife to quit working for a few years when kids are young without having to cut the budget drastically to cover the mortgage.

At this point we're kind of open house browsing trying to get a feel for areas and neighborhoods. We've looked around in the Spring Branch area outside the beltway and the Champions area. Both have plusses and minuses. We're more drawn to the west side I think because we've started to make friends in this part of town and don't really want to completely uproot for clear lake (for example). But at this point everything is a possibility and we're pretty open.

Thanks and I look forward to the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 02:24 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,605,910 times
Thornwood in 77079 or Ashford Forest in 77077....'cept you won't get the newer house. But you will get the location,schools,trees and ammenities you currently love now,

Old 12-16-2008, 03:00 PM

70 posts, read 235,416 times
Thanks, I'll look into those areas as well.

All of the things I listed aren't deal breakers. If one or two aren't there, it's probably ok, but if multiple items are missing it won't work.

I really liked the Champions area with some of the subdivisions that had 3400sqft newer houses on big lots for upper 200's. That was what drew me in. Seemed like 249 wasn't too bad but I think I would have to rely on 290 for my commute to downtown? That's what scares me. I am capable of leaving as early as 6am, but even then 290 is still bad.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:54 AM

809 posts, read 3,582,837 times
You could take 45 from Champions also. Depending where you buy, you might be closer to it.

There are also a couple of Metro park-and-rides that might be an option for you.

Klein ISD is a great school district.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:45 PM

734 posts, read 1,087,876 times
peep stafford especially brand ln. its next to many religous centers (mosque, church, large hindu temple) so it is safe; and you could get the size and convenience you desire.

and its right on 90 and 59. Its a pretty sweet buy although the street brand ln. is very narrow; once your out of that than its all gravy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston