Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:39 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,584,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Los Tios huh. That's a sore subject w/ me. When it was locally owned, it was among the best in town.

After it was sold to Skeeters chain... well, you can have it.

IMO Ninfas is about the only chain worth suggesting.
And even then, only the original on Navigation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 01:45 PM

564 posts, read 2,046,922 times
Steaks: Strip House, Pappas, Truluck's

BBQ: Luling City, Goode Co., Harlan's on MLK

Mexican: Ninfa's on Navigation, Escalante's, Del Pablo's

Seafood: Pappas

Italian: Original Carabba's, Josephine's (Downtown on Caroline), Marco's

Beef/International: Fogo de Chao

Cajun: Treebeard's (for lunch), Crescent City, Razoo, New Orleans Seafood House (Katy)

Chinese: Fu Kim's (Chinatown)

Hamburgers: Charlie's

Expensive: Brennan's (RIP)

Miscellaneous: House of Pies, Pappadeaux (Yeah, yeah, I know...)

Tex-Mex: Cafe Adobe

Pizza: No real opinion

Vietnamese (Pho): Les Grivals

Soul Food: This Is It (Midtown); Frenchy's (Fifth Ward location)

Old 12-10-2008, 01:48 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,151,751 times
Theres so many places, it's hard to remember and list them all!

Old 12-10-2008, 02:15 PM

363 posts, read 1,147,170 times
Lupes
Chuys
Thai Cafe
Las Alamedas
Churrascos/Americas
Barnaby's
Mo Mung
Ruggles
Tonys
Cafe Annie
Trulucks

could go on and on. we are blessed with a lot of really good restaurants in Houston.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:40 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,421,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Los Tios huh. That's a sore subject w/ me. When it was locally owned, it was among the best in town.

After it was sold to Skeeters chain... well, you can have it.

IMO Ninfas is about the only chain worth suggesting.

I have heard this before from some people, but you know, I still love it. Maybe it's just the one where we go (Kirkwood/Memorial), but we consistently get great service and food there. Never an empty glass, personal service from the staff, and they tolerate kids with a smile. Apparently there was quite a scandal about the queso when they changed hands, but I don't remember what the old queso was like, so...

I think the other thing is, I love Skeeter's. Ah well, what can you do?

I do love Ninfa's. They have amazing fresh corn tortillas. YUM!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:50 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,018,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I too have enjoyed this thread. Im still a little new here and have developed few favorites so far.

The only one I can list is a big favorite of mine. DNR European Cafe on Montrose Bvd where it crosses over 59. I dont get into Houston too often but when I do I will always stop for this place.

No one mentioned Pappas Seafood yet. Is it just because there is one on almost every corner and everyone has had it a hundred times already?
So what do they serve at DNR European Cafe and what is your favorite thing? I've seen it but never stopped. But maybe some advice on what to try?

Oh yeah and for burgers, try Lucky Burger on Richmond (lots of things in addition to burgers) ... a real dive from the outside but clean and good on the inside. Near Maria Selma's Mexican Food (also good).

Old 12-10-2008, 06:59 PM

756 posts, read 1,884,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
So what do they serve at DNR European Cafe and what is your favorite thing? I've seen it but never stopped. But maybe some advice on what to try?
DNR is mainly a Greek lunch type spot, gyros etc. It's very economical and convenient, slightly better than average in my opinion. Aladdin on Montrose has some great gyros and there is a convenience store next to Rudyardz on Waugh that has some incredibly good gyros. Then of course, there is the gyro/Greek food institution Niko Niko's. Chatter's Bistro on Waugh also has some realy good gyros among other things. And there is always the 24 hour Biba's, recently relocated to Westheimer next to Katz; not high on my list, but they do make some mean greek fajitas. and really, anything on Biba's menu is pure heaven at 2:30am.

I know I went way overboard in responding, but there is my short list of Greek restaurants in the Montrose.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:02 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,685,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Well Im not a meat eater and there are only a few meat items on their menu. It's healthy European food. I mostly get the salad bar. Lots of semi strange but yummy Mediterranean items. Awesome soups and fries too. The sandwiches look good on everyone elses plate but I never ordered one. Nothing is expensive either. Dont bother with the deserts, they do not live up to the hype.
Check out the menu.
DNR

Old 12-10-2008, 07:05 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,685,805 times
Does anyone have a review on the Empire Cafe in Montrose? Locals told the wife and I how popular it is and bragged about it but we couldn't find it.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:15 PM

756 posts, read 1,884,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Does anyone have a review on the Empire Cafe in Montrose? Locals told the wife and I how popular it is and bragged about it but we couldn't find it.
Empire Cafe is in the Lower Westheimer area on Westheimer among some antique shops.

www.empirecafe.net

I really like their brunch/breakfast and the cakes/desserts are yummy! Good people watching too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston