Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 09:16 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Okay, that was funny! LOL!!!
Well, he's there like twice a week! Everytime we go there (which isn't as often as it used to be) there they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 09:38 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royandlea View Post
Every time I am downtown for work and folks say, "You're from Louisiana, let's go to Treebeard!" I throw up a little bit in my throat.
Well, how nice of you!

Maybe next time you can say, "How about I treat, and we go to...*insert whatever restaurant you'd like to visit to show what real Cajun is here*?"

Just a thought!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:41 AM

564 posts, read 2,045,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
T-bone Toms, perhaps?
That's it! T-bone Tom's. The setup kind of reminds me of the original Drexler's BBQ appearance wise, only bigger.

That gumbo was out of this world. The green beans were pretty good, too. Not so moved by the mash potatoes or jambalaya, though.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:10 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royandlea View Post
As a native of Louisiana, I would like to go on record as saying that Treebeard's, while a decent restaurant, would not be able to survive in south Louisiana. Bottom line: That ain't Cajun! Every time I am downtown for work and folks say, "You're from Louisiana, let's go to Treebeard!" I throw up a little bit in my throat.
I totally hate this place. its like food for the homeless. I'll take Popeye's anyday (especially Tuesdays)

Old 12-17-2008, 10:54 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,676 times
Originally Posted by royandlea
As a native of Louisiana, I would like to go on record as saying that Treebeard's, while a decent restaurant, would not be able to survive in south Louisiana. Bottom line: That ain't Cajun! Every time I am downtown for work and folks say, "You're from Louisiana, let's go to Treebeard!" I throw up a little bit in my throat.

I totally hate this place. its like food for the homeless. I'll take Popeye's anyday (especially Tuesdays)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Try Zydeco downtown. It's much better.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:06 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
As a native of Texas, every time I've been in New Orleans and someone says let's go here for Mexican, steak, bbq, italian, insert any other food other than Cajun, Creole, or French; the vomit actually is too much to be held in my throat.

Same can be said for the Golden Triangle, which is basically the west-most extension of south LA.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
Originally Posted by royandlea

Try Zydeco downtown. It's much better.
I like Boudreaux's for cajun better than Treebeards. Don't really care for Zydeco but to each his own. Popeye's - artery lockdown. Never eaten the Popeye's downtown but walked by one day and a co-worker said "remind me, after you have eaten, to tell you a story about this location and you'll never eat here." Of course, we forgot about it during the lunch hour and now he has moved on to a different job and I never found out - why I should not eat at that location.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:20 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
I love Boudreaux's etouffee. It's really good and not overly spicy.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:35 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I love Boudreaux's etouffee. It's really good and not overly spicy.
The stuffed shrimp is great there. I get the combo plate with stuffed shrimp and etoufee. My spouse tried the seafood tacos and even those were pretty tasty.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:25 PM

15 posts, read 90,191 times
Coog:

Three things! First, I would never eat bbq from New Orleans, they do seafood and CREOLE/French things there. To be honest, if you want good cajun food, don't eat in New Orleans as your first choice. Go to Lafayette! It is closer to Houston, the food is better, and it is generally cheaper than eating in New Orleans.

Second, I don't have a problem with Treebeards. Some of the food is quite good, it just is what I consider to be a real cajun restaurant. Since there are many former Louisianians here, I just wanted to make sure folks were not expecting what they would get at home.

Third, perhaps you should consider some acid reflux medicine to help with your vomiting issue. If you have problems eating Italian in New Orleans, it might be you. New Orleans has a large contingent of people of Italian descent and they can really cook. I suppose another issue could be that most of the folks you go out and eat with are clueless about New Orleans and have no idea of what fine cuisine is. (Which is to say that they may be taking you to expensive, generic places that do not serve good food but are living off of a name or they are taking you to bad places.) In that case, upgrade your friends and I am sure that your dining experiences will improve also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
As a native of Texas, every time I've been in New Orleans and someone says let's go here for Mexican, steak, bbq, italian, insert any other food other than Cajun, Creole, or French; the vomit actually is too much to be held in my throat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston