Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 AM

84 posts, read 342,594 times

Advertisements

Can you guys recommend a good affordable Alarm Monitoring System? ADT charges 33$ and I think its kind of high.

Do these Monitoring systems really help? Are they really going to keep the burglers away ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 01:59 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,184 times
A home alarm without a monitor isn't any better than a car alarm these days. Sure the siren goes off, but who pays attention? The two big companies, Brinks and ADT, will give you a free system, but you will pay for it in higher monthly fees. If you have a pre-existing system, not linked to ADT and Brinks, you should be able to go with anyone, and there are certainly some quality providers who will charge less. There are a lot of them, and I'm sure other people will chime in with their recommendations.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:34 PM

166 posts, read 899,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsthome View Post
Can you guys recommend a good affordable Alarm Monitoring System? ADT charges 33$ and I think its kind of high.

Do these Monitoring systems really help? Are they really going to keep the burglers away ?

I highly recommend smith-thompson. They're based in Plano, but provide service in/around houston as well. I paid about $17/month (prepaid for a year) for cellular monitoring. Don't need a landline for monitoring (since I use vonage IP phone service). I've had some false alarms (my mistake) when arming and leaving the house and they were quick at calling me to verify (within a minute of tripping the alarm)

Old 04-13-2009, 03:09 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
A home alarm without a monitor isn't any better than a car alarm these days. Sure the siren goes off, but who pays attention? The two big companies, Brinks and ADT, will give you a free system, but you will pay for it in higher monthly fees. If you have a pre-existing system, not linked to ADT and Brinks, you should be able to go with anyone, and there are certainly some quality providers who will charge less. There are a lot of them, and I'm sure other people will chime in with their recommendations.
I should add that I have Brinks and just switched to their cell-based transmitter. So we were able to do away with our landline completely and save $25 a month ($35 for the phone line less $10 extra per month for monitoring). If the only reason you have a landline is for the alarm system, considering a cellular solution.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:16 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Avoid ADT like the plague.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 6,060 times
SaveOnMyAlarm.com is an exceptional company with great pricing ($5.95 per month!). They are very fast when they respond to alarms, which leaves me feeling secure and safe. I was impressed with their customer care as well. After shopping around for a while, I am beyond pleased with my choice.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:49 PM

228 posts, read 1,000,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Howe View Post
SaveOnMyAlarm.com is an exceptional company with great pricing ($5.95 per month!). They are very fast when they respond to alarms, which leaves me feeling secure and safe. I was impressed with their customer care as well. After shopping around for a while, I am beyond pleased with my choice.
My son is looking for someone to monitor his house, so I checked into this company, and they get really BAD reviews...

Old 06-01-2009, 03:42 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotLib View Post
My son is looking for someone to monitor his house, so I checked into this company, and they get really BAD reviews...
Usually a good idea to avoid recommendations from people with no posting history. Usually just spam.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:48 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotLib View Post
I have never heard anything good about this company, as well!
I think an alarm system is a definite plus. I would not do without....but sometimes, I think, it also provides a false sense of security. Yes, I do feel safer, but also very aware of what's going on around the house and neighborhood.
Will it keep the bad guys away? Who knows, but I feel, if they have a choice on a house with a system and one without, they will choose the easier target

Old 06-01-2009, 04:04 PM

228 posts, read 1,000,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Usually a good idea to avoid recommendations from people with no posting history. Usually just spam.
That was my first clue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: