Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:35 PM

35 posts, read 218,957 times

Advertisements

Can someone please give me info on U of H..

Any info will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 10:12 PM

181 posts, read 642,609 times
Con - hopelessly bureaucratic, all the money goes to the business school, and the liberal arts buildings are lucky to get unlocked bathrooms and working coke machines. It's also in a crap part of town if you go to central, surrounded by ghetto, unlike the awesome Rice campus, surrounded by West U, cool shopping and museum districts, bars, clubs, etc.

Pro - it's relatively cheap, compared to other schools, pretty flexible classes, nice professors, pretty nice campus (the newer buildings, anyways), diverse students and views (not overly-liberal like some universities), and the parking has gotten MUCH better since when I was there. Pretty good food around campus, too!

Old 11-28-2008, 11:43 PM

35 posts, read 218,957 times
How far is the Galleria away from U of H..

And how do people perceive the school?

Is it one of those universities that the people of Houston look down upon..

Or do people perceive it as a decent school?

Last edited by newtxman; 11-28-2008 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 11-29-2008, 03:25 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtxman View Post
How far is the Galleria away from U of H..

And how do people perceive the school?

Is it one of those universities that the people of Houston look down upon..

Or do people perceive it as a decent school?
I am a Tex A&M grad now living in Houston and I like UH alot. A number of my friends here in Houston went to UH and liked going there. It seems like a relatively under appreciated school here compared to A&M and UT but it gets the job done. The one negative that I see is it's location in the 3rd ward, which is ghetto, but other than that it has good proximity to downtown and all the cultural amenities here. If I was going from the UH campus to the galleria, I would personally just take Elgin St straight west (it turns into Westheimer) and go straight out to 610 where the Galleria is. You could also jump on 45 @ Scott St and take the freeway to 59 SW freeway to 610 or 45 to 10 west to 610, but freeway travel can be a bear (one of Houstons few negatives).

Old 11-29-2008, 08:40 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
It is a commuter school with little school spirit. But it is a good school for academics. If you are looking for a school where you will live on campus and walk to football games cheering. This probably isnt the school for you

Old 11-29-2008, 08:59 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...s-houston.html

Old 11-29-2008, 09:39 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,002 times
The pros and cons previously stated seem accurate.
UH does tend to heavily focus on its business school and hospitality college. I think most people will agree UH is only getting better. Football games are finally being attended by a decent amount of students and there is some new development going in around campus. That being said, it is still in the ghetto and will need Houston to go through a major economic boom for that to change. The reputation is overall positive in the Houston business community.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:43 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Pro: good rep for commuter school

Con: Couger High football

Old 11-29-2008, 09:48 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific_trader View Post
Con - hopelessly bureaucratic, all the money goes to the business school, and the liberal arts buildings are lucky to get unlocked bathrooms and working coke machines. It's also in a crap part of town if you go to central, surrounded by ghetto, unlike the awesome Rice campus, surrounded by West U, cool shopping and museum districts, bars, clubs, etc.

Pro - it's relatively cheap, compared to other schools, pretty flexible classes, nice professors, pretty nice campus (the newer buildings, anyways), diverse students and views (not overly-liberal like some universities), and the parking has gotten MUCH better since when I was there. Pretty good food around campus, too!
Great information and DEAD ON!

Old 11-29-2008, 06:25 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,715,739 times
The ghetto? Fools please. If you think the area surrounding U of H is bad, try going to some of the real ghettos in Chicago.

The campus is no more dangerous than that of A & M and UT.

It is a commuter school and the campus spirit is dead. It is affordable. Has some of the top programs in the country. If you attend and you live off campus, you better join some organizations, or you will be very bored and hardly make any friends.

I went there for five years and it was pretty good. Lots of ethnic diversity.

They are going to remodel the campus in a project called the "Master Plan", in which they will build more retail, restaurants, housing and build a rail line that will go all the way to the Galleria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston