Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 12,098 times

Advertisements

I am currently seeking to be employed at with Aldine ISD and was wondering which area, not necessarily in the Aldine district would be ideal for a single female. How should I go about looking for a place to live? I know it's a broad question, but I am not familiar with the Houston area...

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Rule #1 DO NOT live anywhere in the Aldine district. (I grew up there sad to see it gone so far down hill).

As a single female, I would recommend that you look more towards Spring/Champions or Midtown/Heights area to find living accomodations.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:42 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,976 times
Yup, just go up the road a little ways to Spring and there's lots of great places. Houses, apartments, anything. I wouldn't go as far north as The Woodlands, because your commute will be unpleasant.

Which school in Aldine? They are fairly spread out. There are parts of Spring that directly abut Aldine and may be as little as a 2 or 3 mile drive from your school, depending on where your school is located. Keep the commute single-digit or else it will not make for a great morning or afternoon for a newcomer to Houston

If your school is West of I-45, look at Champions. Lots of great shopping, restaurants, etc, and you can take surface roads to your school. If your school is East of I-45, check out the eastern part of Spring north of FM1960. The east side is very affordable, but go as far north as you can closer to Cypresswood. You can take Aldine-Westfield road down to most of the schools on the east side of Aldine.

BTW, are you starting as a teacher now? mid-year?

To look for apartments, try apartments.com or any of the similar websites. You can also call many free apartment locators. For rental houses, check HAR.com and the same goes for looking to buy a house, though I never recommend buying a house as a thing to do until you know the area well.

Good luck!

-Michael

Old 11-12-2008, 12:24 PM

I'm looking to work in MacArthur HS, I'm not too worried about a drive, I'd be down for at most a 30 min drive...and yes, as a teacher starting midyear...

Old 11-12-2008, 01:51 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texag08 View Post
I'm looking to work in MacArthur HS, I'm not too worried about a drive, I'd be down for at most a 30 min drive...and yes, as a teacher starting midyear...
Ouch! Just never leave anything valuable in your car.

If you are going to work at MacArthur 59 would be your best commute route. You might try some of the new complexes along Beltway 8 near Fall Creek.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:53 PM

From MacArthur you can drive straight up Aldine-Westfield road into Spring without getting on the freeway. 15-20 minutes, tops. I'd check up there. I owned a house right in that area (77373) and "tested" that drive, as I had an interview at MacArthur once. The beltway is also an option, as mentioned. I just happen to like the Spring area. It's established, affordable, safe.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:05 AM

So I've been looking into the Spring area, would you happen to know how traffic gets there around 630am and 3pm?

Old 11-13-2008, 08:09 AM

at 6:30 it's pretty clear on I-45 until you hit the Shepherd intersection, where it slows down 24/7, no matter what, and for no apparent reason. I don't think you'll ever go that far south to get to Aldine, though, so that is probably a non-issue. I used to do 1960 to BW8 every day for 8 years, and even at 7:00 it's generally 60-70mph. It's not really slow normally until West or Shepherd, depending on the day, unless there's a wreck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston