Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:39 PM

530 posts, read 2,042,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cla View Post
I am with you. My gross income isn't equivalent to the sale price of my home, but it's darn close and in a few more years it will be. I bought the home I needed - not the home the bank said I qualified for. After living in homes ranging from 700 s.f to 1600 s.f., I find my 2000 s.f. home to be more than big enough.
Ditto on all points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 05:07 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,786,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
How is my question being a jerk? It is an unusually expensive house for a first time buyer.
Taken by itself it might be harmless but in context with your numerous other "people who buy big houses in the suburbs are idiots, look how cool I am in my shack" posts it certainly does not.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:02 PM

530 posts, read 2,042,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Taken by itself it might be harmless but in context with your numerous other "people who buy big houses in the suburbs are idiots, look how cool I am in my shack" posts it certainly does not.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:43 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,139,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla View Post
I am with you. My gross income isn't equivalent to the sale price of my home, but it's darn close and in a few more years it will be. I bought the home I needed - not the home the bank said I qualified for. After living in homes ranging from 700 s.f to 1600 s.f., I find my 2000 s.f. home to be more than big enough.
we bought a 2600 sf, just my wife and me. I was adviced by friends to visit the 2nd floor once in a while to see if somebody started living there.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,282 times
We are considering buying a home in Cinco Ranch (around gaston and cinco blvd) and builder is wanting $102/sqft for as home we are interested. It does have number of upgrades like all tile down stairs except for the bedroom. Granite counter top in the kitchen, covered patio and a media room upstairs. What would be a fair price fo this type of home. Any suggestion any one?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:20 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,951,899 times
That sounds pretty high to me, is it a new home or pre-owned? I bought a 2 year old home in the exact area you are talking about (behind Kilpatrick Elementary) back in August for $90/sq ft. My house is big though, 3600 ft and two stories, which does make a difference in price per square foot. I have all the upgrades you mentioned, except no covered patio. I would certainly have your realtor pull up the comps for the area.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:35 AM

166 posts, read 901,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell27 View Post
We are considering buying a home in Cinco Ranch (around gaston and cinco blvd) and builder is wanting $102/sqft for as home we are interested. It does have number of upgrades like all tile down stairs except for the bedroom. Granite counter top in the kitchen, covered patio and a media room upstairs. What would be a fair price fo this type of home. Any suggestion any one?

Depends on the builder, how long its been sitting in inventory, lot type/size, etc. If you are serious and qualified to buy in the price range, then put in an offer 20% below list price, which is reasonable given the current economic situation. These builders are getting antsy about moving inventory especially with the tighter requirements in qualifying for a mortgage. They'll probably counter-offer at 15% but if you play your cards right you will get close to your original offer if not exact. Just my experience and two cents

Old 11-07-2008, 04:46 PM

44 posts, read 157,554 times
That's good price. Mine is $94 after all upgrades.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:16 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,452,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell27 View Post
Still impossible to tell. So many factors. Is it custom or tract, etc.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:10 PM

5 posts, read 14,537 times
$86/sqft is better than $102/sqft... Then again, it depends on the upgrades, lot premium(if any), and the builder along with any incentives that are given to the buyer.
As for how much to spend on your first home... My answer would be whatever you can comfortably afford and qualify for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston