Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:18 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,342 times

Advertisements

So, it looks like my choices are Windstream DSL or Comcast cable. I had RoadRunner from the first year they offered it in Houston (1999?) up until 2 months ago when we sold our house in Spring. Now we are in Sugar Land and I need high speed again. There's a Comcast box in the back yard and I'm okay with using them, but the DSL is less expensive (even for the faster link). I have just never had the luck with DSL that I've had with cable in terms of consistently FAST speed. However, I will say the service with Comcast isn't AS good as Time-Warner was.

Opinions? No satellite/wireless junk. Hard lines only. I would only consider wireless if I lived in the sticks. Sugar Land hasn't been the sticks in 20 years

-Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 04:29 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
I live in Sugar Land and my choices are also Comcast or Windstream. We picked Comcast for phone/Internet and we have been very unhappy with them. The customer service is terrible and the phone line goes dead every 3 days or so. We have to constantly re-boot the equipment. There is often noise on the line as well.

If I had it to do over again, I would try Windstream. We plan to move soon or I would switch.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:06 AM

759 posts, read 3,183,708 times
If you live in Telfair, Greatwood, or Sienna Plantation you can get Entouch. I have had them for 2 months now and I had 1 issue with the HD box locking up after a few hours...the very next day they came in and swapped it our for a better box. Plus they have a premium 20mbit/3mbit service that is really faster than advertised on both UL/DL. I travel all over the world for work and the last thing I want to do is to sit at home and wait for the pictures to upload to my photo services. I also had crapcast at my previous address. I truly hated them. TWC was so much better.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:10 PM

Nah, we are in an old neighborhood in "real" Sugar Land, near the Imperial Sugar factory, 90/Eldridge area :-) (yes, that's part jealousy, but also part "haha! my drive to 59 is only 5 minutes, how about you?")

As far as I know it's one of those two choices, Windstream or Comcast over here.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:46 PM

I have seen a lot of people in Telfair also signing up for the windstream package.
They have an office on 90 & 6...
btw, my drive to 59 is 2 minutes....but I am further out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
Nah, we are in an old neighborhood in "real" Sugar Land, near the Imperial Sugar factory, 90/Eldridge area :-) (yes, that's part jealousy, but also part "haha! my drive to 59 is only 5 minutes, how about you?")

As far as I know it's one of those two choices, Windstream or Comcast over here.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:50 PM

just curious, does anyone have the windstream 12Mbit package? what is the upstream speed?

Old 10-03-2008, 11:16 PM

The price on the Windstream package is tempting. I might try it and if it doesn't work out, switch to Comcast.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:05 PM

19 posts, read 89,298 times
I am in Sugar Land, and I cannot recommend Windstream. The broadband speed for me was terrible and I would have constant dropouts. Their support is about is good as Comcast's (re : terrible). I switched to Comcast last year even though it was more expensive. I find their broadband performance very speedy and stable...even if it is overpriced.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:54 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sje2081 View Post
I am in Sugar Land, and I cannot recommend Windstream.
Well, there goes my fantasy that I can always switch to Windstream when I'm tired of putting up with Comcast's problems.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,960 times
Aren't monopolies fun. I would love to try AT&T. Comcast is terrible as stated, I had RoadRunner up until about 1 1/2 ago and in the 8 years I had them we had about 3 outages, non for more then a day or two at most. Since Comcast took over we have had no less then 18 outages and at least 3 for no less then 7 days. I was hoping to finds something better. It doesn't look too promising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston