Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:07 AM

401 posts, read 1,734,028 times

Advertisements

If I were to look for a house near downtown or a house that has an easy access to downtown where direction should I go to:

Northwest
Northeast
Southwest
etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 03:01 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,507,676 times
West...due west

Old 08-03-2008, 07:10 AM

95 posts, read 338,473 times
Any direction would be fine depending on what your criteria are, just don't go too far from downtown if you want easy access.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:12 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,414,089 times
Smile Amused is right

You want to go west or maybe a little southwest. Dont go East or Southeast, Dont go North or Northwest or even northeast. You have to go WEST!. it is the only SAFE direction in Houston. If you need affordability then maybe south to Shadow Creek in Pearland.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:28 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,441,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azamsharp View Post
If I were to look for a house near downtown or a house that has an easy access to downtown where direction should I go to:

Northwest
Northeast
Southwest
etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
West...due west
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
You want to go west or maybe a little southwest. Dont go East or Southeast, Dont go North or Northwest or even northeast. You have to go WEST!. it is the only SAFE direction in Houston. If you need affordability then maybe south to Shadow Creek in Pearland.
Since this is Houston, and there are good and bad areas in all parts of town, beware replies that over-generalize .

First question you need to answer is exactly how far from downtown you are asking about, and what price point you are seeking

West and NW of downtown will be the "safest" bet, but also the most expensive. Just to the southeast you have Eastwood (being gentrified) and Idylwood (pretty much fully-gentrified), which offer fast access, little traffic, and some terrific old homes (some crap, too, but then again it is the city, not the 'burbs). Where you look depends on your price point, the size/type of home, whether schools are important, and what kind of amenities you are looking for.

I will agree with the others that generally north and northeast (fifth ward) are to be avoided. Odds are that one day gentrification will begin in full force, but it hasn't really even scratched the surface in those areas yet.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:04 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,836,959 times
It boils down to price point and type of housing desired. Do you want an old bungalow? A new townhouse?

Generalizations that only west is safe are usually made by suburbanites who are unfamiliar with the city. Montrose, for example, has a higher crime rate than a lot of other areas although is still very desirable and a great place to live. Due south is midtown, but you are pretty much limited to townhomes until you cross the SW freeway and get into the Binz area, but then you are competing with builders for whatever houses are left. West of that is Montrose, where homes start at about $300k and up, past that is River Oaks, where you have to have 7 digits to buy. Going around Rice U, just south of Montrose is a very tony area. Probably the prettiest in Houston with prices that reflect that. Going SW out through West University Place and Braeswood you have nice areas that are fairly expensive. Going NW, North of Buffalo Bayou are the more historical areas like the 6th ward and Woodland Heights, norhill and Heights. Generally from the low $200,000's. Timbergrove and Lazybrook, ranch style subdivisions, are just beyond that. Due north you have some options in Lindale Park.

Just SE is Riverside Terrace and Washington Terrace, a transitional area with some new construction a lot of great old homes although many are owned by older people and are in need of restoration. East there are the nabes previously mentioned by travel guy. NE, there isn't anything going on over there.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:15 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,011,251 times
Actually that one post that west or southwest is the only safe direction in Houston is the most ridiculous thing I have read. Up close within 5 miles is pricey so depends on your price range or how far out you are talking about being. If you are talking about a suburb 15-20 miles out of downtown - you can find good burbs on every part of town (with some less desirable areas inbetween downtown and where you are going - on all sides of town). I would definitely stay away from Southwest Houston - lots of apartments packed in too closely and have created a high crime area.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:51 AM

Well, I am looking at something around 180K. It should'nt be near downtown but it should have an easy access to downtown. Right now I am living at Richmond and Gessnor in apartments. Although it is not that close to downtown but METRO only takes 20-25 minutes to go to downtown. I think this is the perfect location. Off course, the houses over here in this area are way too expensive.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 AM

Also, it seems like Pearland has easy access to downtown. Does it also have easy and fast access to Galleria area?

Old 08-04-2008, 07:56 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,339,477 times
West, Southwest and Southeast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston