Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:27 AM

94 posts, read 280,254 times

Advertisements

I'm backing down on my position, simply because I didn't read the article in depth enough.

What they did wasn't hazing, it was attempted murder IMHO.

I don't believe in senseless violence to "initiate" others. See gangs in LA. They have to fire random shots from their guns in LA traffic to be initiated. If you kill someone, even better.

Don't roast me for being ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 10:34 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,608,562 times
No doubt, there is hazing and then this type of stuff...which your right...is NOT hazing....but downright ridiculous behavior! I wonder what type of person can do that to another?

Old 08-01-2008, 12:15 PM

894 posts, read 1,571,861 times
I wonder what type of person can do that to another? If you ask Stanley Milgram the answer unfortunately is you, me, everyone.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
I wonder what type of person can do that to another? If you ask Stanley Milgram the answer unfortunately is you, me, everyone.
Obedience or Conformity type thing?

Old 08-01-2008, 07:30 PM

894 posts, read 1,571,861 times
Stanley Milgram ran experiments(that wouldn't pass review board now) in I believe the sixties on obedience in which during a fake learning experiment the unwitting were asked to shock [they believed] to death another participant in what they thought was a learning experiment. The person being shocked was an actor in on the experiment, the other person wasn't aware of that. Just about everyone went along with the instructions to keep shocking the other person. Google his name and you'll find more. The movie is disturbing but probably online somewhere. Some folks had mental trauma afterwards -they were shown that they would have a shocked a person to death simply because a guy in a white lab coat asked them to. These were regular folks.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:46 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,893,980 times
The other interesting one is Philip Zimbardo's "prison" experiment at Stanford. There were some methodological problems but the results were still disturbing. Supposedly "normal" college students became sadistic and abusive when role playing the part of prison guards.

And this one would definitely not pass the review boards now!

Old 08-01-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Stanley Milgram ran experiments(that wouldn't pass review board now) in I believe the sixties on obedience in which during a fake learning experiment the unwitting were asked to shock [they believed] to death another participant in what they thought was a learning experiment. The person being shocked was an actor in on the experiment, the other person wasn't aware of that. Just about everyone went along with the instructions to keep shocking the other person. Google his name and you'll find more. The movie is disturbing but probably online somewhere. Some folks had mental trauma afterwards -they were shown that they would have a shocked a person to death simply because a guy in a white lab coat asked them to. These were regular folks.

Yes, that is who I was thinking of...I believe he did a study focusing on the conflict between obedience to authority and one's own personal conscience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: