Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 04:30 PM

166 posts, read 683,149 times

Advertisements

and are going back to school to finish up with these two things in mind : Electrical Engineering or Something in the Health Field (particularly Occupational Therapy). Which would you finish up in? I'm trying to help my husband with a tough decision. He would love to be an engineer but to get a job it will take at least 3-8 years experience to even land a job. He feels like the health field would be a great field to go in because the jobs are endless or so he thinks, lol. If you had to choose a field which would you choose and why? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 05:07 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,280,429 times
Electrical engineering is a good field that has good salary potential with experience. However the demand for engineers ebbs and flows. At least that is true in the Clear Lake area. Contractors in Clear Lake will be laying off lots of folks when the shuttle retires in 2010 or so. That includes lots of engineers. Some of my engineering co-workers (I do software) have been laid off, and it was very difficult to get re-hired. However I have read lots of articles that say health care is always hiring - even during a down economy simply because there will always be sick people. With NASA at JSC, you have a job if there are contracts for you to work on. When the contracts dry up, you may or may not have another job. If I had it to do again, I would consider pharmacy or physician assistant. Both avg pay is supposed to be $70,000+ and the schooling is about 6 years total I believe.

Last edited by DanielWayne; 07-19-2009 at 05:17 PM..

Old 07-19-2009, 05:17 PM

160 posts, read 716,170 times
Your going to need experience in either field, but the opportunities in the short run are probably better in the health field. He can study EE while he is working.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:27 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,147,753 times
Go the OT route. Texas Woman's University in the medical center has one of the top rated OT/PT schools in the country. Therapists start out much higher than nurses regarding salary (High 50-60's). And there's so much more opportunity to go with a public institution or private practice, or start your own business.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:38 PM

447 posts, read 1,767,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Go the OT route. Texas Woman's University in the medical center has one of the top rated OT/PT schools in the country. Therapists start out much higher than nurses regarding salary (High 50-60's). And there's so much more opportunity to go with a public institution or private practice, or start your own business.

As an RN with lots of years experience, I can only second this opinion. OT or PT has lots of opportunity

Old 07-19-2009, 07:02 PM

166 posts, read 683,149 times
Thanks so much for replying everyone! He's leaning more towards the health field right now so that's a good thing.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:16 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,830,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelady View Post
and are going back to school to finish up with these two things in mind : Electrical Engineering or Something in the Health Field (particularly Occupational Therapy). Which would you finish up in? I'm trying to help my husband with a tough decision. He would love to be an engineer but to get a job it will take at least 3-8 years experience to even land a job. He feels like the health field would be a great field to go in because the jobs are endless or so he thinks, lol. If you had to choose a field which would you choose and why? Thanks in advance.
Depends on what interests you. Probably EE. Health Care is great also.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:31 PM

8,897 posts, read 20,023,726 times
There seems to be a shortage of engineers - because a lot of the major companies have programs to encourage more females and young men to go into the math/science professions - and highly promote engineering.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:42 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,459,678 times
Default Ot!

Being part of the health care world I would encourage him to go with OT as well. Lot's of possibilities with a good starting salary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: