Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:33 PM

321 posts, read 1,440,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiemd2000 View Post
Anyone have any info on Shadow Creek Ranch in Pearland? Hows it like living there? How's the commuting, especially to the Texas Medical Center? Is the traffic aroung there bad? What do you think of Pearland? Would you consder Misourri City instead?

Thanks in advance! Returning to Texas in June!
It is a typical new burb along 288. At midnight on Sunday with a full moon, its about a 20 min drive to Medical center. On heavy traffic days it could be more. 288 development is somewhat new, so traffic will increase, because thousands of homes are building built in the area. With all those new families comes CARS!!!!! I won't promise a happy commute 5 yrs from now.

SCR is huge burb city. New homes. As for Pearland, I welcome new people to move there. The locals then to be very parochial. With all new people moving there, cliquish small town attitude with its nepotism in government jobs and preferential treatment to old time locals will disappear. Nothing but burbs being built there now, and they are expecting 3.5 Million in the Houston area in the next 10 yrs. Pearland is very conservative at this point in time, but will be like any other major burb development in the next few years.. I prefer Pearland over Missouri City. Missouri City is going down hill fast. I have family who live all different parts of Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 12:21 AM

1 posts, read 6,258 times
Default We love it!

We were longtime inner-loopers prior to buying our home in SCR. Prior to purchasing our home we considered many newer inner loop developments but decided that in the long term, the city would not provide us with what we would need to raise a family.

We bought our home almost 2 years ago when there was pretty much nothing but fields out here. The only commercially developed section of the area was on the other side of the freeway. At first we thought that maybe we had made a mistake moving out here, but now I absolutely love it!

There are a number of exciting things going on in the area. A super HEB and Kroger Signature Store are planned as well as the "Promenade Shops" and the "Park Shops", two outdoor shopping destinations will have stores like Ann Taylor, Dillards, MAcys', PF Changs, Barnes & Noble, etc. PArk Shops will also feature a 25 acre lake. The Bass pro shop is already under construction and the Hospital is complete. The presidential museaum is also final and that is supposed to draw over 100,000 visitors a year.

I now know we made a good decision. We based our choice of location to live on livability potential not the current fads or trends. In a few years this will be an ideal are to live in. It's still close to the city. It has shopping destinations (within biking distance of course). It also feels very communal, like a village of sorts. We also have great neighbors our age, all of whom are professionals. We've organized sports teams throughout the neighborhood and neighborhood buddies (10-15 others) we hang out and socialize with.
Best of all you can have a backyard BBQ at a neighbors house and not have to worry about a DUI since you can walk back home!

Old 05-08-2007, 07:35 AM

321 posts, read 1,440,622 times
Default Shadow creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiemd2000 View Post
Anyone have any info on Shadow Creek Ranch in Pearland? Hows it like living there? How's the commuting, especially to the Texas Medical Center? Is the traffic aroung there bad? What do you think of Pearland? Would you consder Misourri City instead?

Thanks in advance! Returning to Texas in June!
Commute will be great if you work at the medical center...other than that...

Shadow Creek is a massive subdivision which will become like most massive subdivisions. Like homes, latchkey kids, and in an area where the traffic is just now getting a bit heavy.. in 3 yrs Shadow creek will fall into the fate of all major subdivisions outside of Houston... Very heavy traffic. They are planning in the future to have rail to Sugarlan, Woodlands, and Katy, but not Shadow Creek and 288 because its a newby area. IT is a new typical burb .. nice homes for burbs but again it will look like all the other houses with a change here and here .

I have family who live there.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:28 AM

377 posts, read 1,346,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_teachout View Post
We were longtime inner-loopers prior to buying our home in SCR. Prior to purchasing our home we considered many newer inner loop developments but decided that in the long term, the city would not provide us with what we would need to raise a family.

We bought our home almost 2 years ago when there was pretty much nothing but fields out here. The only commercially developed section of the area was on the other side of the freeway. At first we thought that maybe we had made a mistake moving out here, but now I absolutely love it!

There are a number of exciting things going on in the area. A super HEB and Kroger Signature Store are planned as well as the "Promenade Shops" and the "Park Shops", two outdoor shopping destinations will have stores like Ann Taylor, Dillards, MAcys', PF Changs, Barnes & Noble, etc. PArk Shops will also feature a 25 acre lake. The Bass pro shop is already under construction and the Hospital is complete. The presidential museaum is also final and that is supposed to draw over 100,000 visitors a year.

I now know we made a good decision. We based our choice of location to live on livability potential not the current fads or trends. In a few years this will be an ideal are to live in. It's still close to the city. It has shopping destinations (within biking distance of course). It also feels very communal, like a village of sorts. We also have great neighbors our age, all of whom are professionals. We've organized sports teams throughout the neighborhood and neighborhood buddies (10-15 others) we hang out and socialize with.
Best of all you can have a backyard BBQ at a neighbors house and not have to worry about a DUI since you can walk back home!
It appears like you do not know about the BFI landfill expansion plan, which after completion (if it happens) will be a 17 stories high heap of Garbage on the West side of SCR.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:47 AM

19 posts, read 144,148 times
Default You can smell it now

Just stand in SCR and smell the air. The CURRENT trashfill even if it does not increase (and look at the long long lines of garbage trucks as they file down mchard 2244 towards the fill between your commute... )

you can smell the garbage

also, there is talk that the landfill is simply going to pay x million to move the radio towers (current lawsuit) for the stations and resume the landfill to its 17 foot glory.

Its what they have done in the past.

look up at a 17 story building next time you are in town and imagine that trash and what it will look like from your backyard
also- why in the world if you lived in SCR would you DESIRE huge presidential HEADS in a park to draw 100,000 more cars to your subdivision? Not smart!

Last edited by houstongal123; 05-08-2007 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: mistype

Old 05-08-2007, 12:55 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti0 View Post
I prefer Pearland over Missouri City. Missouri City is going down hill fast. I have family who live all different parts of Houston.
Where in Missouri City is it going downhill? All I ever see is the continued success of Sienna Plantation (hear good things about it) and the wealthy Riverstone development. There are new stores, restaurants and retail going up all over the place in Missouri City, especially around Riverstone...
Are you thinking of Fresno or something instead?

Old 05-12-2007, 12:54 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstongal123 View Post
also, there is talk that the landfill is simply going to pay x million to move the radio towers (current lawsuit) for the stations and resume the landfill to its 17 foot glory.
They're not just radio towers; they are also television towers. In fact, all major FM and TV stations broadcast from there. I wonder where are they going to broadcast from now? Hopefully from the top of the Chase Tower.

I'm starting to like SCR. I have the best TV and radio reception in Houston. The only thing between me and the towers is a landfill that all of Houston dumps into.--Talk about no zoning in Houston. I guess a no zoning city affects the surrounding zoned suburban cities.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:21 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
That would be dumb to broadcast from the Chase Tower. Those signals will be bouncing all around those Downtown skyscrapers.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:40 PM

8 posts, read 36,456 times
I had a friend who moved here from California and was looking for a family-oriented neighborhood...don't know if it was just the part of the neighborhood he moved to but he said it was all medical center people...many of which who didn't have kids and didn't seem that interested in getting to know neighbors....just what I was told, not personal experience! The commute does look nice if you're headed to the med center!

Old 08-18-2007, 10:45 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Here's an update - The Fort Bend county portion is now zoned to completely different schools:
* Blue Ridge ES
* McAuliffe MS
* Willowridge HS

Unfortunately these schools are seen as not very good within Fort Bend County.

FBISD has a plan to build an elementary school for the FBISD portion of SCR http://www.perryhomes.com/Images/PDFs/SCRWhatIsNew.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston