Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 26,239 times

Advertisements

I need some advice from Houstonites...

I am building a Westin Homes home in Shadow Creek Ranch in Pelican Shores.

I would need to commute to downtown and my wife to NASA.

Based on the above info does anyone have any reservations/suggestions/tips/cautions/ANYTHING to offer (commute, builder, area, tax, cost of living, crime, personal experience, ANYTHING)?

I am particularly interested in information/feedback about the builder (Westin) because i have not been able to find much about them. However, any information or advice at all would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 12:55 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
If your wife is working at NASA - had you given any thought to Clear Lake or League City? The commute to downtown really wouldn't be that bad for you. Of course, some people are concerned about the close proximity to the Bay during storms and if that is you, then I can see why you are moving along 288. 288 is building up so fast, it looks like another Sugarland to me. It certainly isn't a high crime area but I think residents have more than they would like to have. All the businesses are on 288 and any business or neighborhood directly on a major freeway will see more crime than those you have to drive in a little bit to -- its just too easy access.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 6,644 times
Unhappy Stay Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonimac View Post

I am building a Westin Homes home in Shadow Creek Ranch in Pelican Shores.

I would need to commute to downtown and my wife to NASA.

Based on the above info does anyone have any reservations/suggestions/tips/cautions/ANYTHING to offer (commute, builder, , tax, cost of living, crime, personal experience, ANYTHING)?

I am particularly interested in information/feedback about the builder (Westin) because i have not been able to find much about them. However, any information or advice at all would be great.
Stay away from Westin Homes. My experience with them is that they do have good sales people, but that is as deep as it gets. Their products, although expensive are of poor craftsmanship and quality. The say on their very simple webpage that they offer great quality, but this is not true.

We had a home built by them, and we could not even move into it because of the poor quality. We had even gotten to know our neighbors whose home had just been built by them, and they to had problems with the quality of their home, but was forced by their situation to buy the home anyway.

I am searching out more information about them, but am having trouble even finding out who they are owned by, or even who the president of the company is. Until more is known about them, I am saying buyer beware.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:17 AM

377 posts, read 1,345,666 times
Pelican shores would be dangerously close to landfill. (search for landfill in this forum)

Old 12-06-2007, 11:06 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,115 times
Shadow Creek Ranch is beautiful but there is the landfill issue just west of the area. Also, I haven't heard much about Westin homes. I would go with a more popular builder such as Newmark, Coventy, David Powers, Perry, or David Weekley. Have you checked out Sienna Plantation in Missouri City, TX?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:26 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,595,702 times
Has your realtor do some research for you?

Old 12-06-2007, 02:07 PM

73 posts, read 356,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonimac View Post
Houstonians

Old 11-19-2008, 02:56 PM

22 posts, read 170,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAndrews View Post
Stay away from Westin Homes. My experience with them is that they do have good sales people, but that is as deep as it gets. Their products, although expensive are of poor craftsmanship and quality. The say on their very simple webpage that they offer great quality, but this is not true.

We had a home built by them, and we could not even move into it because of the poor quality. We had even gotten to know our neighbors whose home had just been built by them, and they to had problems with the quality of their home, but was forced by their situation to buy the home anyway.

I am searching out more information about them, but am having trouble even finding out who they are owned by, or even who the president of the company is. Until more is known about them, I am saying buyer beware.
TO ALL LET IT BE KNOWN:

The owner of the company is Jason Golan, they have been building homes since 1994. They have 746 homes registered with the TRCC and have ZERO complaints. Out of the almost 15 years they have been building homes they have 7 complaints with the Houston BBB, 5 of which are resolved.

Westin Homes is a great home builder with which I have had experience with. They go above and beyond when building a home, more so than most builders that I have had direct dealings with. I encourage anyone who has had dealing with Westin Homes to add their experiences with them here so we can set the record straight.

Also, if you have any questions about Westin Homes please feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer, I will certainly get the information for you.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:57 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
Ask your realtor if they have had complaints. I am sure she would not have taken you to their model without researching the product.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:19 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Native Houstonian Here:

Landfills and Prisons= stay away.
JMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston