Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:17 PM

58 posts, read 204,922 times

Advertisements

Will be relocating back to Houston after 10yrs...glad to be coming home...hubby's job will be near Chimney Rock/Woodway....Since it has been so long since we have lived in Houston and things have changed so much...need to figure out where to live. My parents are in Magnolia..my sis in Conroe...woodlands/north will be too far...we like Champion Forest area but don't know if that will be a nightmare commute..also our daughter plays HS volleyball and also club ball plus we have a 4 yr old and 8 month old....so need to be in an area that can accomodate the ages. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 03:22 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,547,023 times
What's your price range? He's working in a great area if you can afford to live there it would make life pretty easy.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:56 PM

Price range around $400k...I know we won't fund anything there in that price range. We will probably end up renting for a year..depends on how quickly our home here in OH sells...and if anyone is moving to NW hio let me know...I have a place to sell.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:18 PM

Well, not too far away is Spring Valley (77055) and Western Memorial (77079). You can still find some things in the 400's.The commute is very easy. Best school district in the Houston Metro.

If you can consider private school you will have options such as Garden Oaks, Briargrove Park and Candlewood Estates.

I did the commute from Woodlands/Spring to the Galleria...........90 minutes...each way...without wrecks.

The Champions area has really gone downhill and the commute really isn't much better than The Woodlands.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:26 PM

283 posts, read 1,283,623 times
May I suggest Walnut Bend (subdivision)? That's located just west of Beltway 8 and the north side (of Walnut Bend) sits along the south side of Buffalo Bayou. This is a very nice, well-kept neighborhood. Home prices top out just over 300K. It would only be a short drive to Chimney Rock/Woodway.) I would surely love to have such a short commute.) The only thing I'm not sure about is the quality of the schools.
Maybe somebody here is and can advise you accordingly as to that matter.

You might take a look at har.com, input "Walnut Bend" at SUBDIVISION and look at some of the homes. The reason I know it's a good neighborhood is that I have family living out there.
Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation

Old 07-29-2008, 08:29 PM

657 posts, read 2,549,521 times
I agree with the west Memorial option, but I'd also consider Bellaire.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:14 AM

175 posts, read 940,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Well, not too far away is Spring Valley (77055) and Western Memorial (77079). You can still find some things in the 400's.The commute is very easy. Best school district in the Houston Metro.

If you can consider private school you will have options such as Garden Oaks, Briargrove Park and Candlewood Estates.

I did the commute from Woodlands/Spring to the Galleria...........90 minutes...each way...without wrecks.

The Champions area has really gone downhill and the commute really isn't much better than The Woodlands.
EA, why do you say the Champions area has really gone downhill?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 AM

77055 and 77079 are a little out of our price range for what we want. Bellaire....lived there when I was in HS then we moved to Sugarland..those homes look to be higher for what we want. Katy? Sugarland?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoseph View Post
77055 and 77079 are a little out of our price range for what we want. Bellaire....lived there when I was in HS then we moved to Sugarland..those homes look to be higher for what we want. Katy? Sugarland?

You're looking at an hour commute, at least, from Sugarland and Katy into the work location as well. Uptown gets very congested at rush hour....or actually any hour of the day now days. The traffic has tripled since you last lived here, it's amazing.

Seems like you want big and new, and there is more than enough of that to choose from miles outside the Beltway. The overstock is creating some great discounts. But you're going to have to drive...a lot.

My suggestion is visit and be at your work location at 5:15 pm and drive towards the exurb that you are considering. Or leave the exurb of choice at 6:45 am and drive in (this one could be far worse than the evening commute). Then consider making that drive twice a day, five days a week. If you're ok with it, then go for it. But it gets old fast missing sporting events, dinner, school functions and avoiding a few accidents on every drive. I called it "AM Dodgeball."

Exurbs to downtown (and now the TMC) is super easy because they have park-n-ride,express buses.

Kappinator. Re:Champions/1960. The slummy apartments,empty store fronts, massage parlors, vagrants and dirty streets are a far cry from 20 years ago. While once you get into the actual neighborhoods they are ok (however appreciation has been fairly stagnant), the area around them is sketchy. Not to metion the traffic and stoplights on 1960 are a deal breaker by themselves. Grumbling about the schools are all over these boards.

Eastender. Re: Walnut Bend. Great little neighborhood, not so great schools. I think most go to private there, as well as the Briargrove Park neighborhood. But the Houston Catholic schools have some great deals on tuition.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:18 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,446,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

Kappinator. Re:Champions/1960. The slummy apartments,empty store fronts, massage parlors, vagrants and dirty streets are a far cry from 20 years ago. While once you get into the actual neighborhoods they are ok (however appreciation has been fairly stagnant), the area around them is sketchy. Not to metion the traffic and stoplights on 1960 are a deal breaker by themselves. Grumbling about the schools are all over these boards.
This is all pretty much East of Kuyukendahl. The area around Champion Forest and 1960 is still nice, and the area around Louetta and 249 is getting a big pick up by the new Vintage area. Champions Golf Course is still the best around, Champions, Champion Forest, and Huntwick are all still considered top notch neighborhoods. Klein and Cy Fair are still some of the best school districts in the Houston area, with Klein High still being in the tier 1 schools. Multimillion Dollar homes are still being built along Cypresswood. Just a little bit North, around Spring-Cypress has had a huge explosion of growth and has very nice neighborhoods and ameneties.

Also, for the 400s for something new:
Champion Woods has some new stuff in the 400s near Louetta and Stuebner Airline. Its back behind the HEB and butts up against Memorial Northwest. Very, very nice. There's a patio home section, upper end tract section and a custom section. You'd either be in in the high end tract, or a smaller custom inside the gate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston